Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's New Policy for Passenger Electronic Devices During Takeoff/Landing (6 Nov 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingnosh
As of evening of Nov 6, UA began allowing use of lightweight personal electronic devices below 10,000 feet.

Press Release

Questions:
  1. Does this apply to international flights when taking off / landing in US airspace? Yes.
  2. When will United Express flights be included? Press release implies by end of year.
  3. Can I use my laptop? UA website says no, but in practice not clear. The key issue is weight. FAA uses 3 lbs limit, Delta uses 2 lbs limit, UA has no stated limit. More to come on this one. For now, do not assume you will be able to use even very small laptops.

Note: on one recent flight, FA stated that the limit on UA is 2lbs.
Print Wikipost

UA's New Policy for Passenger Electronic Devices During Takeoff/Landing (6 Nov 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACVBear
This is great news but a) funny how AA could work out eagle flights immediately too and b) that press release sure makes it sound like United is ahead of the game, doesn't it?
Well, Eagle is owned by AA. United Express is contract regional airlines. Huge difference.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CDKing
Reading betwen the lines with UA comment about working with FAA and its Express carriers. How DL did not include its express carriers and AA is not including all Eagle planes. These lead me to believe UA is going the all or none route which is another stupid move.
Id like to say that United listened to me and skipped express and international for now but alas it was most likely just did exactly what DL did.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ACVBear
This is great news but a) funny how AA could work out eagle flights immediately too and b) that press release sure makes it sound like United is ahead of the game, doesn't it?
Delta is in the same boat. They are saying by end of year for Delta Connection flights.

Originally Posted by CDKing
Id like to say that United listened to me and skipped express and international for now but alas it was most likely just did exactly what DL did.
One apparent difference is that DL WILL allow devices below 10K feet for international flights when still in US airspace (i.e. departing from US to another nation, or arriving in US from another nation). UA is moot on this point.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 6, 2013 at 6:33 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Baze
Well, Eagle is owned by AA. United Express is contract regional airlines. Huge difference.
Originally Posted by blueman2
Delta is in the same boat. They are saying by end of year for Delta Connection flights.
fair enough. I knew AMR owned everything on top but figured it was still a separate approval process. But i guess being the same parent company still moves things forward quickly.

Hopefully United puts pressure on Skywest and co. to actually get it done quickly.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blueman2
One apparent difference is that DL WILL allow devices below 10K feet for international flights when still in US airspace (i.e. departing from US to another nation, or arriving in US from another nation). UA is moot on this point.
How are they "moot"? They say mainline arriving or depart from the 50 United States. To me it says if departing/arriving from/to a foreign country or territory the old rules apply when in that airspace. So departing USA ok from gate. Arrive in foreign country territory you shut it off at 10K ft. Departing foreign country/territory off from gate until 10K ft but if arriving in USA 50 states can keep on until gate. I thought it was pretty clear.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:04 pm

How are they "moot"? They say mainline arriving or depart from the 50 United States. To me it says if departing/arriving from/to a foreign country or territory the old rules apply when in that airspace. So departing USA ok from gate. Arrive in foreign country territory you shut it off at 10K ft. Departing foreign country/territory off from gate until 10K ft but if arriving in USA 50 states can keep on until gate. I thought it was pretty clear.
Yup, I agree with your read. I corrected the Wiki. And I meant to say MUTE -moot is an entirely different issue
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:04 pm

I'm guessing the word he was looking for was "mute." Still, seems pretty clear that it works as you describe.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: One Pass
When customers can use PEDs
U.S. destinations are the 50 United States, excluding its territories (Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.)

Departure/Arrival [B]U.S./ U.S. U.S./Int’l Int’l/U.S. Int’l/Int’l Customer Boarding Yes Yse Yes Yes
Door Closure Yes* Yes* No No
Taxi Yes Yes No No
Inflight Yes Yes Yes Yes
Prior to Landing Yes* No Yes* No
Taxi and Arrival Yes Yes** Yes Yes**

*Laptop computers, DVD players and other large devices must be safely stowed in an approved carry-on baggage location.

**Local regulations may prohibit the use of PEDs during taxi and arrival.

Last edited by Cbmaz; Nov 6, 2013 at 6:41 pm
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:31 pm

Yup, also now on the UA website to make it clearer:

* Within the 50 U.S. states (excludes U.S. territories), customers may use permitted devices at all times.
* Between the U.S. and an international location or U.S. territory, customers may use permitted devices except when departing from or arriving into the international location or territory.
* Outside of the 50 U.S. states, permitted devices may only be used above 10,000 feet.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Maybe a silly question, but if Skywest operated Delta flights have it, wouldn't that make it a done deal on the United Skywest flights?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Maybe a silly question, but if Skywest operated Delta flights have it, wouldn't that make it a done deal on the United Skywest flights?
I was not aware Skywest Delta flights offer this yet. Delta says only mainline.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JacobVB27
Hey Mr. Goldberg,

Does that mean that they will start In-Flight Entertainment right away after the safety video?

This is awesome news and long overdue!!
On the "new" Airbii, your sole source of IFE is the FAs unhappily doing the live safety demo
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:42 pm

Just boarded UA flight from IAD to MCO and they announced they are allowing PED as long as it's in airplane mode.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by edcho
Just boarded UA flight from IAD to MCO and they announced they are allowing PED as long as it's in airplane mode.
Faster than many thought.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/6/50...s-gate-to-gate
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by edcho
Yes, United sent out an announcement mid evening.

United Airlines Joins Delta and American in Allowing Gate-to-Gate Use of Electronic Devices

United Airlines, the world’s largest airline by passenger traffic, became the last of the three largest legacy carriers to offer its passengers the ability to use their personal electronic devices from the moment they get on the plane, and through taxi, takeoff, and landing….

<SNIP>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.