Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2013, 1:33 am

Programs: DL DM
Great I was under the impression that only R and IN were being taken away, now that I is gone as well and O is gone from LH there really is no point
Old Nov 9, 2013, 1:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GrizNation
Great I was under the impression that only R and IN were being taken away, now that I is gone as well and O is gone from LH there really is no point
It's pure speculation, but I wonder if the scraping was perhaps more extensive than UA at first thought; i.e., not limited to the proprietary stuff (R, XN, ON).

Last edited by Kacee; Nov 9, 2013 at 8:10 am Reason: XN, because IN doesn't matter
Old Nov 9, 2013, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's pure speculation, but I wonder if the scraping was perhaps more extensive than UA at first thought; i.e., not limited to the proprietary stuff (R, IN, ON).
Hate to say it, but it lends much more viability to the claims of high server load (misstated as "bandwidth").

I still find it useful for IRROPS, but EF has very low value for a Star Alliance flyer now. A business / revenue opportunity for someone who wants to do it legitimately.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
hhhmmh. The bad news is simply getting worse. Time to ask for a EF refund and switch to AA methinks. New marketplace; new decisions.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
It's certainly more than R, IN and ON. I had all my alerts killed, and several were for XN, which I imagine is a very frequent search as well...
Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I cancelled as soon as UA shut down R. EF ignored my refund request.
My experience was the opposite of yours. I emailed ExpertFlyer, requesting a cancellation and a pro rata refund of the balance of my membership fee because of the inability to provide UA upgrade and award information, and they emailed me back the same day agreeing to do so. I received my refund six days later.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
My experience was the opposite of yours. I emailed ExpertFlyer, requesting a cancellation and a pro rata refund of the balance of my membership fee because of the inability to provide UA upgrade and award information, and they emailed me back the same day agreeing to do so. I received my refund six days later.
sent my request for prorated refund today. 3 months left on my membership - I got great value of them in prior months, so they earned those.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Lurker
hhhmmh. The bad news is simply getting worse. Time to ask for a EF refund and switch to AA methinks. New marketplace; new decisions.
EF is still pretty valuable without the UA/*A search functions..
Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Not if you are focused on UA. Only remaining value was some of the travel tools and seat maps. And I can't see spending $60 a year on info I can easily search for

If UA relents then I will sign back up
Old Nov 9, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I will still use EF to determine when UGs clear. Set a seat alert for your Y seat assignment and when you get the notification that that seat became open, your upgrade cleared.

Of course, this is partially due to United's email notifications failing to work. I once thought UA might be getting a cut of the EF revenue. Not anymore.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by JONEZY00
Not if you are focused on UA. Only remaining value was some of the travel tools and seat maps. And I can't see spending $60 a year on info I can easily search for

If UA relents then I will sign back up
I am wondering a bit, whether it is Expert Flyer or UA who must relent (or both). Maybe EF is balking at having to pay something for access.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by tromer
Hate to say it, but it lends much more viability to the claims of high server load (misstated as "bandwidth").

I still find it useful for IRROPS, but EF has very low value for a Star Alliance flyer now. A business / revenue opportunity for someone who wants to do it legitimately.
While only EF and United know for sure, I think that there has always been credibility to that claim. EF has openly stated that alerts check for new inventory at relatively infrequent intervals far from departure, and more frequent intervals close in. I wouldn't be surprised if EF was doing several hundred queries against UA's servers each minute at peak times.

I sure hope they work something out though--I imagine it should be possible to reduce the overall impact significantly by providing more streamlined ways of accessing the data. I find EF tremendously valuable.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
Now what can we do? EF relies heavily on 3rd party's (UA) free data to make money. Now the data is totally shut off by UA, wonder where else EF can get the free data from? ...
while I may not like it, it is UA's info -- no one has an entitlement to be able to access it. UA is not the first to restrict access to their inventory data and does still provided on united.com. I would prefer what we had before but that's UA's (poor) choice.

Originally Posted by GordonGordon
.... Can I report to BBB?
report what?
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
EF can still search AA, CZ, MU, KE, etc.?
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

report what?
I mean if I don't hear anything from EF after I request for a refund, whether I should report to Better Business Bureau.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.