Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Still can't get anything, including X,I,O to show. It is just me/my PC or anybody else having the same problem? Be glad to know, thanks!
I got an error message saying it won't be back until Nov 7
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: United 1K, 1 MM lifetime
reply from 1K voice suggesting the issue is whether EF will pay for access

I received this reply today from 1K voice in response to my email last week about terminating EF's access to United data:

Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

United issued cease and desist letters to certain mileage management companies that market to?MileagePlus members. We encourage each of these organizations seeking to extract data from?united.com on behalf of our customers to enter into a formal agreement with United in order to ensure compliance with the Terms, Conditions, and Legal Notices contained on united.com.

We appreciate your patience and understanding and look forward to serving your travel needs.

Regards,

[name removed per FT Rules]
United Airlines

So, perhaps it is merely a matter of negotiation between UA and EF regarding the access. I'm hoping so.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 4, 2013 at 6:39 pm Reason: do *not* post employee names, please.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
I got an error message saying it won't be back until Nov 7
It seems to be back. Search is displaying now O, I, X classes. But, it's using the "Yes/No" system. Availability in terms of actual number of seats, e.g. I2, X9 etc is not showing.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:01 pm

It seems to be back. Search is displaying now O, I, X classes. But, it's using the "Yes/No" system. Availability in terms of actual number of seats, e.g. I2, X9 etc is not showing.
This is the same thing that happened about a year ago, I think it was when UA pulled R from the web site, and before they re-instated with expert mode.

Originally Posted by sf7707
I received this reply today from 1K voice in response to my email last week about terminating EF's access to United data:

United issued cease and desist letters to certain mileage management companies that market to?MileagePlus members. We encourage each of these organizations seeking to extract data from?united.com on behalf of our customers to enter into a formal agreement with United in order to ensure compliance with the Terms, Conditions, and Legal Notices contained on united.com.

We appreciate your patience and understanding and look forward to serving your travel needs.

Regards,

<name>
United Airlines

So, perhaps it is merely a matter of negotiation between UA and EF regarding the access. I'm hoping so.
You know what, I've got no problem if UA says they don't want people scraping their screens AND they want to offer a contractual method of getting the data on fair terms that don't make it impossible.

Last edited by l etoile; Nov 5, 2013 at 8:13 am Reason: Employee name removed
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Because both UA and DL monitor these threads. I am almost 99% certain that EF has an NDA in place with the data providers which would preclude him from commenting at all.
That presumes that there is a contract in place between EF and UA or DL. I'm pretty sure there isn't.

and how do you know that EF pulls data from UA? UA data is handled by PARS/SHARES.
And then pushed to the website which EF was scraping, processing and displaying.
Different scraping gives different results.
Originally Posted by mitchmu
You know what, I've got no problem if UA says they don't want people scraping their screens AND they want to offer a contractual method of getting the data on fair terms that don't make it impossible.
Sure...that would be awesome. But no company is under any obligation to license their data to others. Yeah, we want that, but they don't have to do it. Plus, who decides what "fair terms" are? I want the data for free. UA wants to charge lots of money. Each of us probably thinks our personal position is fair but we clearly disagree with the other.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
The risk here is that UA shuts off the expert mode data that is displayed. They put it in place the last time they shut out EF as a weak alternative. If EF keeps finding workarounds, UA is just going to turn off the display of these buckets entirely.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Different scraping gives different results.
How many different websites does your tool screen scrape from? ANA and United at least right?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
This is what I got from UA Customer Care this morning (this was an early complaint about EF not having access to R, not on the devaluation the next day):

"United issued cease and desist letters to certain mileage management companies that market to MileagePlus members. We encourage each of these organizations seeking to extract data from united.com on behalf of our customers to enter into a formal agreement with United in order to ensure compliance with the Terms, Conditions, and Legal Notices contained on united.com.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming on board a future United Airlines flight."
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Artpen100
United issued cease and desist letters to certain mileage management companies that market to MileagePlus members. We encourage each of these organizations seeking to extract data from united.com on behalf of our customers to enter into a formal agreement with United in order to ensure compliance with the Terms, Conditions, and Legal Notices contained on united.com.
I would like to confirm that the GDS data feed for UA contains the data that EF was using.

The above quote makes it sound like EF was screen scraping, which would contradict EF's statement in this post.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
But no company is under any obligation to license their data to others.
Just be careful how you use the term "license" here. There has been no suggestion that UA has a property interest in its data, capable of being licensed. Rather, their complaint is about the use of their website. That is what would be licensed -- a feed for receiving the data, not the data itself.

I would like to confirm that the GDS data feed for UA contains the data that EF was using.

The above quote makes it sound like EF was screen scraping, which would contradict EF's statement in this post.
There is no question that EF was scraping to obtain the data. That is settled well up-thread.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
There is no question that EF was scraping to obtain the data. That is settled well up-thread.
I missed that -- which way was it settled? I saw EF's statement saying they do NOT screen scrape. But I see lots of posts by others suggesting they actually do it.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by sf7707

Regards,

[name removed per FT Rules]
United Airlines

same reply word for word from premier voice about 8 days after my message went out. sent promptly to garbage can, where UA sent my RDMs the day after the EF shut down.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chavala
I missed that -- which way was it settled? I saw EF's statement saying they do NOT screen scrape. But I see lots of posts by others suggesting they actually do it.
So far as I know, there wasn't actually a recent statement, nor any statement related to the upgrade inventory, which is simply not available through other means.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
So far as I know, there wasn't actually a recent statement, nor any statement related to the upgrade inventory, which is simply not available through other means.
I had to search because I know I read it, but now I see it was from 2008!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm sure lots of people would like to confirm that. But I don't think it would be possible. Or are you saying that you can confirm it. If so, how??

What statement??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.