Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: United's Version of Logic

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
I am sitting on the phone with my credit card trying to make a very simple itinerary change.

I am traveling J from SFO-ORD-BUF.
I now want to travel from SFO-ORD (same flight) - YYZ.

Answer from United: "I'm sorry sir there is no more availability on the flight from SFO - ORD."

From me: "Well that doesn't make sense because the person taking up that seat is me - and I still want it."

A: "Yes sir but there is no availability."

Q: "Is it oversold?"

A: "No."

Q: "Is the availability on the ORD - YYZ flight?"

A: "Yes sir lots. The problem is the SFO-ORD flight."

Q: "Which I don't want changed at all?"

A: "Yes sir." . . . Hang on (now on hold presumably to speak to a supervisor).

By way of background I am flying on the SFO-ORD flight with other family who are then connecting off to other parts of the world.

By way of update the agent came back and explained the change could not be done because of the problem described above. Any suggestions from the more experienced Flyer Talk community for obtaining a logical resolution?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 27, 2013 at 2:08 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 27, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
So cancel it and rebook. I've had to do it and as long as it's not oversold, it'll work. You'll have to pay a fee and probably buy a more expensive fare class but thems the breaks!

You know you can only bend a database so far before it breaks.SHARES has a lot of short falls but I've experienced this on Alaska and AA and Air Berlin(?maybe KLM) so it's not just United.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Just HUACA. Every agent is different these days.

United...Consistency Unfriendly :-:
Old Oct 27, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K
A good agent can fix this for you. Hang up and call back.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
What is a "simple itinerary change" for you is being made complex by load management. Selling a ticket from AAA to BBB to CCC is not the same as selling two tickets from AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC.

Back in the 1970s this would be easy to do, except your fare would be about 4x higher. Most prefer the current system despite the seemingly illogical issues that arise.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Hadrian35
So cancel it and rebook. I've had to do it and as long as it's not oversold, it'll work. You'll have to pay a fee and probably buy a more expensive fare class but thems the breaks!

You know you can only bend a database so far before it breaks.SHARES has a lot of short falls but I've experienced this on Alaska and AA and Air Berlin(?maybe KLM) so it's not just United.
This.

You bought a ticket in a certain fare class. That fare class is probably not available now that you want to change (you don't necessarily get to keep the current seat at the your current fare). You'll probably end up paying the $200 change fee and any fare difference when the itiniery is eventually changed.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33

By way of background I am flying on the SFO-ORD flight with other family who are then connecting off to other parts of the world.

By way of update the agent came back and explained the change could not be done because of the problem described above.
I know at AA you can spin one party off into their own separate PNR when they're booked as part of a group. This is used over there primarily for upgrade purposes. Any reason UA can't do the same thing and separate your reservation from the group booking so they can work on it by itself?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
canceling and rebooking does not guarantee the seat will go back into inventory. if the flight is sold out or close to it, IM might not put the seat back in even into the Y bucket. the issue is that the flight is currently Y0 and SHARES/Agent are trying to change you from SFO-BUF to SFO-YYZ, what needs to happen IMO is you need to be changed to SFO-ORD, ORD-YYZ, using the seat you already hold on SFO-ORD.

this is a HUACA situation, IMO. i also hazard to guess it will not be cheap, but it is inherently doable.

a back up option is for you to fly the SFO-ORD segment and no-show the ORD-BUF segment, then book yourself a one-way on UA or AC from ORD-YYZ.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:35 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Sounds like married segment availability. You can't use 1 part of a connection for another connection. It has to be sold as a whole. Just becuase you have the seat on 1 leg does not mean that even if you cncl it, that it will appear for the same leg on another connection, and if it does, it might not be in the same booking class.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
I can easily envision the situation. An aircraft change, and currently there is negative availability. Thus, no agent will be able to make the change to the ticket that the OP is proposing - they are trying to reduce the number of PAX, and the OP is the best candidate for not flying the leg or to reschedule the itinerary.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
If SFO-ORD-BUF were booked as married segments, I don't think the agent could just remove ORD-BUF and surgically reinsert ORD-YYZ without escalating it to a service director. The PNR would require a new pricing record; without it, the PNR cannot be "ended" to record the change.

I'm assuming that the agent was reluctant to change OP's reservation because SFO-ORD is either sold out in the booked class or oversold in all classes. In that case, canceling the segment doesn't necessarily mean that the seat will be returned to inventory. That's IM logic that every major airline abides by.

HUACA, but I think you might get the same answer again.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Lifetime Gold, starting AK, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33

Answer from United: "I'm sorry sir there is no more availability on the flight from SFO - ORD."

From me: "Well that doesn't make sense because the person taking up that seat is me - and I still want it."

A: "Yes sir but there is no availability."

Q: "Is it oversold?"

A: "No."
I sympathize deeply with the OP. I had the exact same experience with Hilton last month: I had a reservation for three nights and needed to change it to two (the same first two dates of the already-booked three). They wouldn't let me do it because the hotel was 'sold out for those dates'; therefore they couldn't book a two-night stay to replace my three-night stay because there were 'no rooms available' for those nights. I escalated as far as I could - pointing out that there was indeed a room available, because I was presently booked in it! - but no go. 'The system won't let me do it' was the continuing refrain.

The conversation ended when I said: "So if I understand you correctly, Hilton would rather have me cancel this reservation entirely - at no charge - and stay somewhere else for the two nights?" The response: "I'm sorry, sir."

There has to be a better way...
Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ccharles
I sympathize deeply with the OP. I had the exact same experience with Hilton last month: I had a reservation for three nights and needed to change it to two (the same first two dates of the already-booked three). They wouldn't let me do it because the hotel was 'sold out for those dates'; therefore they couldn't book a two-night stay to replace my three-night stay because there were 'no rooms available' for those nights. I escalated as far as I could - pointing out that there was indeed a room available, because I was presently booked in it! - but no go. 'The system won't let me do it' was the continuing refrain.

The conversation ended when I said: "So if I understand you correctly, Hilton would rather have me cancel this reservation entirely - at no charge - and stay somewhere else for the two nights?" The response: "I'm sorry, sir."

There has to be a better way...
If the first 2 nights are going to be used just go and check in and tell them you will be leaving a day early. or just go down and check out early. Unless it is a pre-paid non-refundable reservation it is no problem. I do it all the time for work as my schedule is always changing.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's problem sounds like IM, not a problem with SHARES. What he should do to test this is simply to price out a new ticket SFO-ORD-YYZ. If that is bookable, all he needs to do is call UA, cancel the current SFO-ORD-BUF, book the new SFO-ORD-YYZ and use the credit from the first ticket + $200 to purchase the new ticket.

My guess is that the problem is that the space is available, but the fare bucket is gone. Thus, this will be a pricey move. But, it will be no more pricey than anything else.

As to the Hilton example above, it's possible that the property has a 3-night minimum for the time period and thus OP can't simply cancel a night. He can test this by trying to book a 2-night stay. If he can, he's all set and can simply cancel the 3-nighter. If he can't, the problem again is IM.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:36 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by Baze
If the first 2 nights are going to be used just go and check in and tell them you will be leaving a day early. or just go down and check out early. Unless it is a pre-paid non-refundable reservation it is no problem. I do it all the time for work as my schedule is always changing.
That's EXACTLY what I do. When you check in, the front desk says, "You are staying with us for three days?" To which I say,"no only two." It is fixed 100% of the time w/o penalty. Now ARRIVING a day later is another issue.

Assuming you have a one way ticket to BUF, I would do nothing, buy a ticket on AC from ORD-YYZ and not use the ORD-BUF portion. Don't attach your UA miles to the AC flight. However, ORD-YYZ o/w can get expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.