Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What does "next flight available" mean on United Airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

If you need to get rebooked for a missed connection, will they put you on any Star Alliance flight (e.g. an Air Canada flight) or will they prefer to give you hotel/meal vouchers instead and make you wait to the next morning?

-United is clearly at fault
-There is no other United flights on that day
-But, there is one Air Canada flight to your destination.

What will they do?

Edit:
I am just curious to know if UA airport agents are able to rebook someone on an AC codeshare flight. I understand they need to be "at fault", they have policies and blah blah blah...

From my personal experience, UA phone agents are unable to rebook someone on an AC flight even if there is some major schedule change or flight cancellation. (Phone agents are clearly unable to rebook someone on a AC codeshare flight, not solely "unwilling".)

By "rebook", I mean "rebook for free".

Edit: I have no status.

Last edited by emilio911; Oct 27, 2013 at 7:54 pm
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
What does "next flight available" means on United Airlines?

Well if you missed the connection they probably won't be paying for the overnight hotel and they probably won't be paying for you to fly another airline, either ....
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your input Mauibaby2008, but I am implying a situation where United is clearly "at fault".
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:23 pm

They would prefer to
Send you on the next available flight , they will pay for transfers, lodging , food if the delay is their fault (not weather)
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your input ReduceTC, but your answer is not an answer to my question.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

I think the answer is "it depends". the vagueness of the "their fault" doesn't help. but factors include whether the agent rebooking you feels generous, whether there is a codeshare on the AC flight, whether you have status, your original fare, and whether anyone else needs to be rebooked. In addition, your attitude to the agent may matter.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
If there's an air canada flight and it has seats available by the time you're rebooked (ie, there might be 10 open seats but 20 people that need to be rebooked), you'll probably get on that one instead of making you spend the night at the connecting city. As others have mentioned, whether you get to be rebooked on the air canada flight depends on your status, fare, destination and of course the agent you're working with.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is impossible to answer OP's question because he hasn't supplied anything close to the specific facts necessary to answer his question. "Fault" is a poor concept in this environment, so simply posting the complete facts will go a lot further than playing secret squirrel with those facts.

What happened and what do you want?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Often1, nothing happened yet.

I am just curious to know if UA airport agents are able to rebook someone on an AC codeshare flight. I understand they need to be "at fault", they have policies and blah blah blah...

From my personal experience, UA phone agents are unable to rebook someone on an AC flight even if there is some major schedule change or flight cancellation. (Phone agents are clearly unable to rebook someone on a AC codeshare flight, not solely "unwilling".)

Adam1222 and mbece, you both aren't UA members. Am I wrong?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 28, 2013 at 7:27 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by emilio911:21673311
Adam1222 and mbece, you both aren't UA members. Am I wrong?
I am. Please provide a detailed factual account devoid of commentary. Then FT'ers can help you better
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
I am.

By "rebook", I mean "rebook for free".
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Emilio, I am too -a low silver though, cause I credit my UA flights to a *A partner.

Added info: agents at the airport have more leeway than phone agents and should be able to rebook you on a AC code share, however, I have never needed to be rebooked in AC but it's possible, just do a search here in flyertalk on "orc united rebooked to AC" to see people requesting missing miles when it happens.

Last edited by mbece; Oct 26, 2013 at 2:29 pm
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbece
Emilio, I am too -a low silver though, cause I credit my UA flights to a *A partner.

OK, So, you say you've already seen airport agents rebooking travellers on AC codeshare flights?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Would someone please explain to me what this hypothetical topic has to do with *A?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Would someone please explain to me what this hypothetical topic has to do with *A?
Rebooking a *A codeshare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.