Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What does "next flight available" mean on United Airlines?

What does "next flight available" mean on United Airlines?

Old Oct 27, 13, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
There's been 90 min arrival delays a couple mornings this week, and right now, on a Sunday afternoon, we're approaching two hours.

Clearly an element of risk when you book a 35 min connection through SFO.
Tom911, Isn't SFO better than DEN or EWR in the winter season?
Old Oct 27, 13, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Probably worse at SFO because of the number of days a year you can be impacted. SFO will go to single runway ops if visibility is poor and cut arrivals 50%. Here you have to think of fog, clouds and rain and at least one of those can be in play any day of the year.
Old Oct 27, 13, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Rather than the OP continuing to get angry at people who give answers he doesn't like, or posters casting aspersions on the OP's intentions or his wisdom in booking a 35 minute connection on the last UA flight of the day if he absolutely must get to Vancouver that night and (must fly out of BUR in lieu of the 3 different evening nonstops out of LAX), perhaps we can agree that the answer to whether you will get put on the AC flight is "Maybe," and there is nothing "insulting to anyone's intelligence" about this.
Old Oct 27, 13, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Probably worse at SFO because of the number of days a year you can be impacted. SFO will go to single runway ops if visibility is poor and cut arrivals 50%. Here you have to think of fog, clouds and rain and at least one of those can be in play any day of the year.
Didn't know that. Thank you Tom!

Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Rather than the OP continuing to get angry at people who give answers he doesn't like, or posters casting aspersions on the OP's intentions or his wisdom in booking a 35 minute connection on the last UA flight of the day if he absolutely must get to Vancouver that night and (must fly out of BUR in lieu of the 3 different evening nonstops out of LAX), perhaps we can agree that the answer to whether you will get put on the AC flight is "Maybe," and there is nothing "insulting to anyone's intelligence" about this.
Exactly Adam1222!
At first, I was just trying to know if UA would prefer to give overnight vouchers or would prefer to put me on a codeshare AC flight.

I guess the answer is that they would prefer to give vouchers but it is not impossible that they would let me fly on a codeshare AC.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 27, 13 at 7:03 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 27, 13, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emilio911 View Post
From my personal experience, UA phone agents are unable to rebook someone on an AC flight even if there is some major schedule change or flight cancellation. (Phone agents are clearly unable to rebook someone on a AC codeshare flight, not solely "unwilling".)
Phone agents actually are able to rebook you onto partner metal. They would prefer to put you on UA metal, and of course YMMV, but I have had them offer to put me on AC and NH metal during irrops (and have asked for US metal before in irrops--but didn't get it as US was already overbooked). You may even be able to get them to put you on any available carrier, but they'd prefer to do UA, then partner, then OAL.
Old Oct 27, 13, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Exactly Adam1222!
At first, I was just trying to know if UA would prefer to give overnight vouchers or would prefer to put me on a codeshare AC flight.

I guess the answer is that they would prefer to give vouchers but it is not impossible that they would let me fly on a codeshare AC.
If it's a weather/ATC delay UA will not give you vouchers. You will be on your own for hotel and meals. Or you can sleep on the floor in the airport. So I suggest you forget these silly games and book a reasonable connection (or a nonstop out of LAX).
Old Oct 27, 13, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
If it's a weather/ATC delay UA will not give you vouchers. You will be on your own for hotel and meals. Or you can sleep on the floor in the airport. So I suggest you forget these silly games and book a reasonable connection (or a nonstop out of LAX).
Too late! It is already booked! I didn't realize it was a 35 minutes connection when I booked.
Old Oct 27, 13, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Reason for the delay has no bearing on whether OALs can be used for rebooking.
Old Oct 27, 13, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Reason for the delay has no bearing on whether OALs can be used for rebooking.
Perhaps not in theory, but there is close to zero chance UA will buy a non-elite pax a ticket on another airline for a weather delay.
Old Oct 27, 13, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too late! It is already booked! I didn't realize it was a 35 minutes connection when I booked.
Hmmm, if we had known this little tidbit of information no one would have suggested you not book it. Again, piecemealing the info to us is not helping you.

If your original post had said

I booked an itinerary BUR-SFO-YVR, it is the last UA flight of the day SFO-YVR. I did not realize it was only a 35 minute connection at SFO. If I am unable to make the connection due to something UA's fault, or even if it is ATC or weather, will UA book me onto the AC flight that is later that night or will I have to wait until the next day? Will UA give me hotel and food vouchers? I have X status (or no status) with UA. Thanks.

Short, to the point, has all the info we need to make suggestions and, as you pointed out, not too long people won't read it.
Old Oct 27, 13, 6:25 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Perhaps not in theory, but there is close to zero chance UA will buy a non-elite pax a ticket on another airline for a weather delay.
I do it all the time. Not sure where your data is coming from, but mine comes from decades of experience, a thousand opportunities/day. You are most likely the most unlucky traveler in the history of travel if these are your percentages and you fly a statistcally relevant sample size of flights.

Sneding someone offline=sending away the value of that flight segment, not the same as "buying a ticket" on another carrier for irrops. Paying for a hotel=taking real cash out of UA's account to pay a hotel, in addition to ill will generated hby not getting person to where they want to be in a timely manner. It's a no brainer for me. Whether of not AC will give me the inventory is a completely different question.

Edit: if you have checked luggage and you will be crossing a border, it is significantly more difficult to route you offline.

Last edited by fastair; Oct 27, 13 at 6:33 pm
Old Oct 27, 13, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See: http://www.starallianceemployees.com...?id=183&type=1

Those are the minimums that UA (and other *A carriers) are required to offer.

Note that in the rebooking section, there is no mention of reason for delay.

Only when it comes to amenities (e.g., hotel/food) does delay reason com into play.
Old Oct 27, 13, 7:37 pm

I just don't want UA staff knowing which day I'm flying.
How can you have a reservation if UA doesn't know which day you're flying?
Old Oct 27, 13, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

FastAir and Channa, Are you both telling me that UA would rather rebook me with AC than let me sleep at the airport?
Old Oct 27, 13, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FastAir and Channa, Are you both telling me that UA would rather rebook me with AC than let me sleep at the airport?
I don't know about that. But if you asked for AC in a misconnect situation, there's no reason they should deny it, presuming AC has space and will take you.

Search this Thread