Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What does "next flight available" mean on United Airlines?

What does "next flight available" mean on United Airlines?

Old Oct 27, 13, 11:05 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Syd
Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Posts: 873
Originally Posted by emilio911 View Post
From my personal experience, UA phone agents are unable to rebook someone on an AC flight even if there is some major schedule change or flight cancellation. (Phone agents are clearly unable to rebook someone on a AC codeshare flight, not solely "unwilling".)
I have been rebooked by phone agents more then once onto QF/NZ/AC after MX cancelations ex SYD
LordTentacle is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 11:06 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PHX
Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Posts: 3,067
Originally Posted by emilio911 View Post
Thank you for your answer Ocn Vw 1K,

Don't you think UA has direct access to the AC system since the AC operated flights are codeshared with UA?
I think for the most part all airlines can see the inventory for just about any other airline but that's not the point. I also think you are putting too much faith into the word "codeshare", at least in your situation.

The codeshare is still operated by a completely separate airline. Operated by being the key words. I can't think of a time where one airline has rebooked me on another, codeshare or not, and they haven't had to call the operating airline to confirm the seat. Granted I probably haven't had as many rebookings as many people here but I've had my fair share and they always call the operating airline. Even though the operating airline shows inventory for sale, that doesn't mean they will accept a rebooking. The inventory that's showing may be the operating airlines willingness to overbook their own inventory and therefore they most likely will not accept a rebooking that could cause a denied boarding situation for someone.

Also, I think most times that I've been rebooked on another airline, they either weren't in the same alliance (which is what I prefer ) or the few times they were, it wasn't a codeshare. The codeshare really doesn't have a lot to do with it IME.
justhere is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 12:04 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: LAX
Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Posts: 362
Originally Posted by emilio911 View Post
Often1, nothing happened yet.

I am just curious to know if UA airport agents are able to rebook someone on an AC codeshare flight. I understand they need to be "at fault", they have policies and blah blah blah...

From my personal experience, UA phone agents are unable to rebook someone on an AC flight even if there is some major schedule change or flight cancellation. (Phone agents are clearly unable to rebook someone on a AC codeshare flight, not solely "unwilling".)
So are you planning to miss a flight? And you want UA to pick up the tab for flying on AC?
duniawala is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 12:40 pm
  #34  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,582
emilio911, are you on an award flight or revenue flight? And as someone who flies out of SFO I would NEVER book a 35 minute connection. Just asking for trouble. Even if flights on time, if you fly into T1 and your connection is in T3 (or vice versa) I can about guarantee you won't make it and if they are on time and you don't make it UA would not be required to give you anything.

Welcome to FlyerTalk. And please, a little kindness goes a long way. You did not give us much facts to start with, people tried to answer you factless original post then you accused them of not being "members" of United. If you call UA or approach a gate agent with the same attitude you would not get very far with them either.

And SFO is very prone to weather delays which are not UA's fault. So it would also depend on the time of day, time of year, many factors.

So when asking questions, give as much information as you can so people can answer your question. The tone of the thread quickly turned because you gave so few facts to start with then made some not so friendly responses to people who tried to help.

Not trying to come down on you and I hope you understand what I am trying to point out and take it with the attitude of you will give more information to start with the next time. This place is a wealth of knowledge and information but you have to give us the information so we can share the knowledge.

Again, welcome to FlyerTalk.
Baze is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 12:45 pm
  #35  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Posts: 18,750
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
I also think you are putting too much faith into the word "codeshare", at least in your situation.

The codeshare is still operated by a completely separate airline.
Leaving speculation about the OP's motives aside, which is not germane anyway, in this hypothetical case (missed connection owing to late-operating first segment) the OP or any passenger is at the mercy of these four factors:

Preference to keep you on company metal. Codeshare or not UA wants you to fly UA or else they have to disburse cash to the alternative airline.

Agent competence. An agent who doesn't know how to book you over to another airline will probably tell you it can't be done, but this is not the case.

Receptivity of alternative airline. Covered upthread and a factor UA can't really control.

Passenger status and fare class. UA these days is apparently less willing to do anything extraordinary for you if your booking is in a cheaper fare bucket.

Bottom line is, of course you can be booked over to a codeshare *A flight or even a non-*A competitor's flight in some cases, but likelihood is dependent on all of the above. And above all be polite throughout or you risk retaliation and narrowed options.
BearX220 is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 12:50 pm
  #36  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by duniawala View Post
So are you planning to miss a flight? And you want UA to pick up the tab for flying on AC?
Exactly, it is a 35 minutes connection and I am just wondering what are my chances of flying out of SFO that night.

Originally Posted by Baze View Post
emilio911, are you on an award flight or revenue flight?
Revenue flight

Originally Posted by Baze View Post
And as someone who flies out of SFO I would NEVER book a 35 minute connection. Just asking for trouble.
Yeah, but it was the only one-stop BUR-YVR flight I found and I hate LAX.

Originally Posted by Baze View Post

So when asking questions, give as much information as you can so people can answer your question.
Sorry, but people don't answer to longer-than-two-sentences threads these days...

I hate being a douche but the first answers I got were clearly an insult to my intelligence.

Thank you for your answer BearX220!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 27, 13 at 2:01 pm Reason: merge
emilio911 is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 1:17 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SEA
Programs: UA Plat, DL FO, HH Gold, MR Gold
Posts: 1,843
There is a lot of good information here.

Regardless of the reason for missing the connection (other than you no-showing), the system will automatically rebook you on the next UA flight with seats for sale (which might not be the next flight). If it is UA's fault (basically a mechanical on your first leg, or perhaps with that plane on its previous leg), they will give you a hotel voucher if you ask.

In terms of getting a better flight, flyers with high UA status may be identified by UA irrops people in Chicago, who may proactively rebook them on other airlines. The rest of us can call and ask; it is best to ask for a specific flight you see as revenue available. I've had very good luck getting what I ask for, as a Plat/1K, when the OAL is willing to offer the space, even with weather delays. The reason that UA needs to check with the OAL is that the OAL may be willing to sell seats for retail that oversell the flight, but they are not willing to oversell (and pay VDB/IDB) for a push from UA (or anyone else). So, they need to make sure the OAL flight is not overbooked.
PVDProf is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 1:43 pm
  #38  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 47,271
Originally Posted by emilio911 View Post
I am just curious to know if UA airport agents are able to rebook someone on an AC codeshare flight. I understand they need to be "at fault", they have policies and blah blah blah... ...
if the situation warrants it, airports agents have a width range of powers -- including rebooking OAL (other airlines) after checking availability and preference is to stay in the alliance. UA will handle its elites first.

Originally Posted by emilio911 View Post
....From my personal experience, UA phone agents are unable to rebook someone on an AC flight even if there is some major schedule change or flight cancellation. (Phone agents are clearly unable to rebook someone on a AC codeshare flight, not solely "unwilling".) .....
phone agetns are clearly able to book/rebook on partners but in general they are not empowered -- will likely require a supervisors approval and agents will be reluctant to do this. Status with UA helps in these situations.

Understand you are doing contingency planning but it is impossible to provide an 100% certainty answer because there are too many other unknown factors.

But I would agree with others 35 minutes connect time with a T3 to T1 change is a poor risk even if UA preforms perfectly if arriving at schedule time is important.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 2:00 pm
  #39  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,582
Looking at BUR-SFO there are about 5 flights a day (don't know what day OP is flying so picked random day) and all are regional jets so the likelihood of flying into T1 is very high and SFO-YVR are a mix of mainline and regional jets so could be T3 or T1 but most likely T3. If T1 to T1 then 35 minutes is workable if all on time. OP mentioned theirs was the only 1 stop BUR-YVR could find, I don't believe that as there are 5 flights a day BUR-SFO and many flights a day SFO-YVR. It sounds like OP is looking to get on the AC flight without having to pay for the AC flight as it is probably more expensive so they book a most likely misconnection then wants us to say no problem, UA will put you on the AC flight. And they even hinted at that in post 38.
Baze is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 2:45 pm
  #40  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
Looking at BUR-SFO there are about 5 flights a day (don't know what day OP is flying so picked random day) and all are regional jets so the likelihood of flying into T1 is very high and SFO-YVR are a mix of mainline and regional jets so could be T3 or T1 but most likely T3. If T1 to T1 then 35 minutes is workable if all on time. OP mentioned theirs was the only 1 stop BUR-YVR could find, I don't believe that as there are 5 flights a day BUR-SFO and many flights a day SFO-YVR. It sounds like OP is looking to get on the AC flight without having to pay for the AC flight as it is probably more expensive so they book a most likely misconnection then wants us to say no problem, UA will put you on the AC flight. And they even hinted at that in post 38.
Of course! I don't want to pay $1723! I mean the only SFO-YVR one-stop flight I found is this one (around $200). The other routes you are suggesting are not even on the UA website or are priced over $1500 which is completely unreasonable.
emilio911 is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 2:57 pm
  #41  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,582
Originally Posted by emilio911 View Post
Of course! I don't want to pay $1723! I mean the only SFO-YVR one-stop flight I found is this one (around $200). The other routes you are suggesting are not even on the UA website or are priced over $1500 which is completely unreasonable.
What do you mean different routes? Everything I looked at was BUR-SFO-YVR. and picking a random day I see at least 6 different times you could choose for less than $200. All with connection times varying between 43 minutes andover 4 hours. Not knowing what day you are flying I can't look at that particular day. So again, I think all you are doing is trying to play the system as you want the AC flight and will miss a connection to get it hoping UA gives it for free. So there re lots of cheap UA options BUR-SFO-YVR with lots of different connection times you could easily make. Don't know why the AC flight is so important to you for an hour and a half flight.
Baze is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 3:03 pm
  #42  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
What do you mean different routes? Everything I looked at was BUR-SFO-YVR. and picking a random day I see at least 6 different times you could choose for less than $200. All with connection times varying between 43 minutes andover 4 hours. Not knowing what day you are flying I can't look at that particular day. So again, I think all you are doing is trying to play the system as you want the AC flight and will miss a connection to get it hoping UA gives it for free. So there re lots of cheap UA options BUR-SFO-YVR with lots of different connection times you could easily make. Don't know why the AC flight is so important to you for an hour and a half flight.
I don't want to play the system. I just want to make sure I will get to YVR without it turning to an overnight multi-stop trip.
emilio911 is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 3:08 pm
  #43  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,582
Originally Posted by emilio911 View Post
I don't want to play the system. I just want to make sure I will get to YVR without it turning to an overnight multi-stop trip.
Then book an earlier BUR-SFO leg, problem solved. As I said, I see lots for the the same $200. But again I don't know what day you are flying so maybe already booked full. Agin, you leave out information that could gain you help from people. I have nothing more to offer so best of luck to you.
Baze is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 3:22 pm
  #44  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
Then book an earlier BUR-SFO leg, problem solved. As I said, I see lots for the the same $200. But again I don't know what day you are flying so maybe already booked full. Agin, you leave out information that could gain you help from people. I have nothing more to offer so best of luck to you.
I have nothing against you. I just don't want UA staff knowing which day I'm flying. And I need an evening one-stop flight.
emilio911 is offline  
Old Oct 27, 13, 3:53 pm
  #45  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 31,069
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K View Post
Because SFO is well known among UA elites for having many weather and ATC delays, those travelers who know about SFO's reputation and are making important connections, would rarely, if ever, accept a flight schedule with only a bare minimum connection time at that airport.
There's been 90 min arrival delays a couple mornings this week, and right now, on a Sunday afternoon, we're approaching two hours.
Due to WEATHER / LOW CEILINGS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, CA (SFO). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 51 minutes.
Clearly an element of risk when you book a 35 min connection through SFO.
tom911 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread