Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Gold (*G) benefits on United {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is Star Alliance Gold (*G) benefits on United

UA's Baggage Calculator

Key Points:
  • No impact to UA *G (M+ Gold, Platinum, 1K, GS)
  • Non UA *G get +1 Bag @ 50lbs now back to 70lbs (previously three bags @70lbs). I.e.,
    • Two free bags at 50lbs now back to 70lbs for international itineraries
    • One free bag at 50lbs now back to 70lbs for domestic itineraries
    • All those on the same PNR get the *G bag waiver

For example, a TK *G would only have a free baggage allowance of one (1) bag not heavier than 50lbs when flying UA domestically.)

Obviously having certain Chase UA-branded cards or differing itineraries will affect this.

Until 2011, the *A *G benefit across the alliance was three free 20 KG (44lb) bags. In 2011 this was changed to an additional 20KGs of baggage or an additional bag. So UA is downgrading the non UA *G benefit to be equal to what *A requires: one bag in the case of UA since it has no free bag allowance for non-elites on domestic itineraries.

Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Gold (*G) benefits on United {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The weight limit will be expressed in the units commonly used in the country of issue, e.g., 23 kg (50.6 lbs) or 50 lbs. Lucky folks in metric countries get to bring an extra shirt !
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: A3*G, BAEC Gold
Hey United flyers,

I'm heading out from SAN to OGG (connecting) and back soon and the app promises me 2 free checked bags @ 70lbs per bag in Y. The web site baggage calculator says just 2 free checked bags @ 50lbs.

I've taken a screenshot of the app screen, so I'm hoping the agent will honor what the app says. I have one 28kg/61lbs bag.

Does anybody have experience with this? I'm A3*G (OT but an authentic A3 FF )
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Allowance should be 1x50, and website confirms this. You may or may not have any success with the screenshot.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Andem

I've taken a screenshot of the app screen, so I'm hoping the agent will honor what the app says. I have one 28kg/61lbs bag.
They don't care what your screenshot says - they follow what the computer in front of them says.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Hey United flyers,

I'm heading out from SAN to OGG (connecting) and back soon and the app promises me 2 free checked bags @ 70lbs per bag in Y. The web site baggage calculator says just 2 free checked bags @ 50lbs.

When I try the bag calculator for SAN-OGG, it reports
1x50 for non-UA *G in economy (+1 bag over standard domestic flight allowance of zero)
2x70 for non-UA *G in first

not sure what you inputted to get your numbers.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hey United flyers,

App is also showing me 2x70lbs for 2 upcoming reservations, both domestic flights operated by UA in Y. First time I've ever seen that.
Calculator still shows 1x50lbs. Would really welcome a luggage increase, as one of my upcoming trips will include multiple bags that may be overweight.

Were you able to check 2 bags free after showing a screenshot?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
The Explorer card provides the first bag free, not an additional bag free. On itineraries where the first bag is already free, there is no benefit to having the Explorer card. Here's the specific term, from here:
And it's literally such a dumb rule. It's the one thing keeping me from getting the card.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: *G, TK E+
Originally Posted by zeer0
App is also showing me 2x70lbs for 2 upcoming reservations, both domestic flights operated by UA in Y. First time I've ever seen that.
Calculator still shows 1x50lbs. Would really welcome a luggage increase, as one of my upcoming trips will include multiple bags that may be overweight.

Were you able to check 2 bags free after showing a screenshot?
I noticed this the other day for 2 upcoming domestic UA Y reservations. I'm TK E+ (and in case this needs to be justified actually fly TK 12-15 times a year for long haul flights). The checkin agent's system still showed 1 free 50lb bag, but when I showed her the baggage information screen in my United app showed 2 free 70lb bags, she happily honored what the app showed. I'm hoping that happens again on Wednesday, because every time I refresh the baggage information screen on all my UA domestic reservations, it shows the 2 70lb allowance.

Any chance this is because I'm E+, TK's 1K equivalent? Or is this probably a happy accidental fluke I should just quietly enjoy?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by cgdurha2
I noticed this the other day for 2 upcoming domestic UA Y reservations. I'm TK E+ (and in case this needs to be justified actually fly TK 12-15 times a year for long haul flights). The checkin agent's system still showed 1 free 50lb bag, but when I showed her the baggage information screen in my United app showed 2 free 70lb bags, she happily honored what the app showed. I'm hoping that happens again on Wednesday, because every time I refresh the baggage information screen on all my UA domestic reservations, it shows the 2 70lb allowance.

Any chance this is because I'm E+, TK's 1K equivalent? Or is this probably a happy accidental fluke I should just quietly enjoy?
That's good to hear. I have a flight next month where I will have 2 bags with me. Will do the same as you and hope for the best.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the master thread is Star Alliance Gold (*G) benefits on United

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 26, 2024 at 12:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.