Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Gold (*G) benefits on United {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is Star Alliance Gold (*G) benefits on United

UA's Baggage Calculator

Key Points:
  • No impact to UA *G (M+ Gold, Platinum, 1K, GS)
  • Non UA *G get +1 Bag @ 50lbs now back to 70lbs (previously three bags @70lbs). I.e.,
    • Two free bags at 50lbs now back to 70lbs for international itineraries
    • One free bag at 50lbs now back to 70lbs for domestic itineraries
    • All those on the same PNR get the *G bag waiver

For example, a TK *G would only have a free baggage allowance of one (1) bag not heavier than 50lbs when flying UA domestically.)

Obviously having certain Chase UA-branded cards or differing itineraries will affect this.

Until 2011, the *A *G benefit across the alliance was three free 20 KG (44lb) bags. In 2011 this was changed to an additional 20KGs of baggage or an additional bag. So UA is downgrading the non UA *G benefit to be equal to what *A requires: one bag in the case of UA since it has no free bag allowance for non-elites on domestic itineraries.

Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Gold (*G) benefits on United {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by joshwex90
What you linked doesn't indicate that UA domestic Y gets 1 free checked bag. It simply indicates that the Y allowance is for a 50 pound bag. So whether you have a baggage waiver (i.e. *G, credit card, etc.) or you pay the requisite fee ($25), you get 50 pounds. If you go over 50 pounds, regardless of how you got the bag, you need to pay an overweight charge.
OK for some one who does not fly domestic US regularly (my last flight was like 20 years ago), this is very confusing

they should just clearly say no checked in baggage allowance as the norm outside US, you get a free baggage allowance unless you fly LCC.

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
The eticket tells you that you get 1 free back. If you look at the T&Cs underneath, it clearly mentions that the free bag is dependent on your *G status.

If you weren't *G, it would show a $25 charge for the first bag.
they should make it crystal clear rather than just hide under T&C which no one really read.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 11, 2017 at 11:53 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old May 11, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lingua101
they should just clearly say no checked in baggage allowance as the norm outside US, you get a free baggage allowance unless you fly LCC.
That is not at all the case. Most major European carriers (e.g. SK or LH) have been moving to no free checked bags too.

they should make it crystal clear rather than just hide under T&C which no one really read.
As an FTer, you should really know to read T&Cs. Without them, this website would be pointless..

The baggage info on your ticket explains precisely what your allowance is. I can't imagine what more you could reasonably want from UA.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It also tells you when you check in online 24 hours before your flight.

BTW, if you will begin traveling with bags in the USA a lot, you should know SouthWest Airlines offers 2 free bags to everyone.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP / CX DM
Does United give Star Alliance gold free checked bag

Does United give Star Alliance gold free one checked bag on domestic routes.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:35 pm

Yes

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ralliance.aspx
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yes. Per *A rules, member carriers must give any *G 1 extra free bag - so on domestic flights, *G should get 1 free bag (plus $35 for the 2nd).

You can always go to the UA checked bag page (https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx) and scroll down to the bag calculator, you can put in route, class of service and status, and it will spit out your bag allowance.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsc168
I'm thinking of reapplying for the United Explorer card to get 1 more free checked bag for my upcoming international trip.
The Explorer card provides the first bag free, not an additional bag free. On itineraries where the first bag is already free, there is no benefit to having the Explorer card. Here's the specific term, from here:

Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not get an additional free checked bag if there is no first checked bag service charge applicable to their international travel itinerary.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN; AF/KL G
Checked In Luggage as Star Alliance Gold on Economy K

Guys,

Traveling Basic Economy (Economy K) from LAX to PHX and being Star Alliance Gold am I allowed any free cabin luggage and/or checked in luggage?

Thanks!

Mihai
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LaikMaik
Traveling Basic Economy (Economy K) from LAX to PHX and being Star Alliance Gold am I allowed any free cabin luggage and/or checked in luggage?
Yes. Normal economy allowance - 1 checked bag, 2 carryon (1 fullsize, 1 personal item).

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 31, 2017 at 2:00 pm
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. Normal economy allowance - 1 checked bag, 2 carryon (1 fullsize, 1 personal item).
This is because of Gold right? As K only offers a personal item? Isn't it 2 checked in, 1 carry on?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is because of Gold right? As K only offers a personal item? Isn't it 2 checked in, 1 carry on?
If by "K" you mean a K fare, that has no bearing on baggage allowance. Also K is not Basic Economy. Basic Economy is N.

Star Gold domestic baggage allowance is one checked bag for free. Carry on rules are the same for everyone (BE excepted) - one full size, one personal item. On a BE fare, nonstatus pax can only bring a personal item. But if you had a BE fare (you do not), that would not apply to you.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:11 pm

Got it @Kacee! Thank you! I can select the seat, so it's definitely not BE.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Kacee - United MP Gold is now down to one checked bag on domestic being free? Or just non UA *G?

i sure miss the 3x70 days...
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:17 pm

So if I see this on my reservation and my LH number is there does this mean?
- The second bag will be free because of LH Gold?
- The first bag is free because of LH Gold?

Fare Class: United Economy (K)
Attached Images  
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Kacee - United MP Gold is now down to one checked bag on domestic being free? Or just non UA *G?

i sure miss the 3x70 days...
Non-UA *G

So if I see this on my reservation and my LH number is there does this mean?
- The second bag will be free because of LH Gold?
- The first bag is free because of LH Gold?

Fare Class: United Economy (K)
The first bag is free because of LH Gold. The second bag will cost $35.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.