Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Award RDU - BKK connection time?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

United Award RDU - BKK connection time?

Hi. I have no experience with United award travel. Someone is booking me a OW award flight from Raleigh to Bangkok in late Nov, and I am looking at the possible connections on the United web page. It has to be Saver economy level.

Date is somewhat flexible so there are various options. All the Saver-level itineraries seem to connect with Thai Airlines in various places - Hong Kong, Heathrow, Beijing, Istanbul et al. But the thing is, connections seem really tight. Can one really transit the Beijing airport - de-plane, clear immigration, and re-check-in in 1.5 hours? Similar sub-2hr connections in Shanghai, Heathrow, Hong Kong. It seems like madness. Is there something I'm not getting?

There are a few longer connections, but they end up adding 8 hrs or more to the trip. What is the minimum amount of time I should allow to make a transit connection with airline switch in these countries? Do all of these require clearing immigration? Am I correct in assuming that my bag will make the connection automatically? Or do I have to claim and re-check?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
A 2 hour connection is definitely doable in Hong Kong, I wouldn't worry about that at all. To really help though, you're going to need to be much more specific about the airlines, connection times and airports you're considering.

FWIW, I'm seeing some very doable itineraries on 11/17 via IAD and FRA.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

FWIW, I'm seeing some very doable itineraries on 11/17 via IAD and FRA.
Thanks. The Frankfort option looks workable. 2.5hr connection. Do I have to clear German customs? The last time I flew to Europe, I don't think I had to go through a customs control at all. And the bag gets transferred automatically to Thai Airways?

There's another one the next day. 2.5 hours in Shanghai, China. I assume that Germany would be simpler.

I still don't get why United is offering to book these tight connections. 50 minutes in Tokyo?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by seancho
Thanks. The Frankfort option looks workable. 2.5hr connection. Do I have to clear German customs? The last time I flew to Europe, I don't think I had to go through a customs control at all. And the bag gets transferred automatically to Thai Airways?

There's another one the next day. 2.5 hours in Shanghai, China. I assume that Germany would be simpler.

I still don't get why United is offering to book these tight connections. 50 minutes in Tokyo?
50 minutes is the published minimum connection time at NRT, that's why.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
50 minutes is the published minimum connection time at NRT, that's why.
I'll take their word for it. I booked via Frankfurt. Thanks for the help.

Next question, though this isn't UA related. Is Thai Airways going to give me any grief at check-in about flying one way to Thailand? Gotta figure out if I need to book a refundable one-way ticket out, for documentation purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.