Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

T-20, waitlisted and don't want to check-in - will I clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver

I'm waitlisted in Z on an international flight this evening, and confirmed on a flight tomorrow. BF is booked full. The web offers me check-in now.

I will only find out later if I have another meeting tomorrow morning. Also I will have to pay for hotel if I don't decide in time, so I might refuse the earlier flight if offered at the last minute, and I won't go to the airport unless I am confirmed.

1) If I check-in, can I still refuse if space opens up

2) If I don't check-in, will I be notified if the waitlist clears?

3) After T-3, assuming I am not at the airport, what happens? If I am checked-in? If I am not checked-in?

thanks
Old Oct 13, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Plus
you should check in... system will automatically give you upgrade if you clear.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ugleeual
you should check in... system will automatically give you upgrade if you clear.
Thanks but that is not what I was asking at all.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
I don't understand why you don't want to check-in.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm not sure why check-in would affect anything. If you clear the waitlist, checked-in or not, you have a ticket on the earlier flight.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I'm waitlisted in Z on an international flight this evening, and confirmed on a flight tomorrow. BF is booked full. The web offers me check-in now.
Being offered a web-check-in and actually pulling it off are two different things, on an international flight, very possibly rendering your intentions or questions a moot point.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:28 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not checking in is the better thing to do if you aren't sure you are going to take a flight.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ari
Not checking in is the better thing to do if you aren't sure you are going to take a flight.
Why?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Clarifying question - have they ticketed you in Y on the earlier flight with the waitlist to business class, or are you waitlisted for Z only?

I think I might get on the phone with UA and to find out exactly what the current status is.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I think lots of people would like to provide help, but I'm having difficulty understanding why the lack of desire to check in for the flight to get the highest spot on the priority list as possible if it goes to the gate
Old Oct 13, 2013, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Updates: I tried to check in, and got the message "change in your reservation" to call UA

1K desk said my waitlist had cleared, and I could choose either flight, today or tomorrow.

I chose tomorrow since I have already made commitments to meetings and hotel

I was reluctant to check-in because I wasn't sure if it would put me on the waitlisted flight and cancel my confirmed place for tomorrow - but I see it doesn't work that way - effectively until I called, I had two confirmed places after the waitlist cleared.

FYI, it was a Z ticket, not an upgrade.

Thanks for the answers, I'm still interested in learning more...
Old Oct 13, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
LET'S SEE.....I'm checking my crystal ball
Old Oct 13, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
FYI, it was a Z ticket, not an upgrade.

Thanks for the answers, I'm still interested in learning more...
Unfortunately, I'm still confused. You were waitlisted for what? A different flight? I thought Z fares had very high change fees. BF to GF? (Although I thought one couldn't GPU from a Z fare). A little more context would be helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.