Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We’ve identified an issue where customers are intentionally manipulating our website to set up award reservations and attempt to ticket with an account that does not have enough miles to complete the ticket. We will not honor these reservations.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We have a quick update related to the manipulation of united.com to book award tickets with insufficient miles that occurred last month. Specifically, we are closing new MileagePlus accounts that were assumed to be set up with the express purpose of attempting to redeem award tickets without the required number of award miles.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

UA: SFO - HI $80 return 23th/31th (Oct)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I managed to get a round-trip reservation to claim to enter the ticketing queue with nothing whatsoever shown for the price -- and it somehow reverted to a ne way booked into whY.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:18 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I managed to get a round-trip reservation to claim to enter the ticketing queue with nothing whatsoever shown for the price -- and it somehow reverted to a ne way booked into whY.
That is exactly what I have encountered. Anyway, I won't mind flying on a free OW Y ticket.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:18 am

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by lewende
Don't know why but it doesn't let me change my FF#...
+1 same issue for me. Each time I enter a new FF number and click submit it seems to accept it but when I check by clicking Edit Traveller Information, my UA number keeps reappearing
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
exact same situation here..
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:27 am

for me it said 4,556 Miles and $0.00, it got ticketed, but my credit card was charged $4556.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DBCme
exact same situation here..
How?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
How?
I really don't know... lol. Didn't receive a confirmation email though
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by DBCme
I really don't know... lol. Didn't receive a confirmation email though
Same fr me!
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bruce11
for me it said 4,556 Miles and $0.00, it got ticketed, but my credit card was charged $4556.
Wow that makes me want to jump right on top of this deal!
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That was amusing. I think I'm dne... time for bed.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
For those stuck in the ticket queue (like myself), would it be safe to keep waiting till close to the 24 hour cancellation deadline? So far I have only received the first confirmation email with the following for my SFO-SYD booking :

3 Award 900,000 Miles
Additional Taxes/Fees $358.50

Total Fare 900,000 Miles and $358.50

Credit card was charged for $358.30

Last edited by kaushik123; Oct 13, 2013 at 12:57 am
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:47 am

I can make the same effect on non-UA flight which is not available on the paid flight page. The trick is to open two award flight reservation pages and click on "Purchase this reservation in First/Business class for $xxx without redeeming miles" on one of them, then follow by refreshing both pages.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone else noticed that "Pay with cash" is gne from the purchase screen? (no - I couldn't tear myself away from the keyboard)
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I read the first page of this thread and no more. I hope in the subsequent pages, others have spoken up with my perspective.

I am really disappointed in FT if I understand the thread correctly. This isn't simply a case of a mistake fare. It sounds like lots of futzing with the browser to create a free/taxes only ticket.

Not nice. Not ethical. Not ok.

Please let me know if I am misreading/ misjudging. But it sounds like FT is really lost its soul here.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Ok. This is not a deal at all. Will just cancel myself. The backend of .bomb is fine. Not a mistake rate.

This reservation is not ticketed. Complete this purchase now.
Your account balance of 5,175 is not sufficient to redeem this award. The mileage purchase option is not available for this ticket. Contact united.com Support at 1-800-396-1751 for additional redemption options.

We will hold this reservation until midnight Mon., Oct. 14, 2013 in San Francisco, CA (SFO).

SFO - HNL: 5J
HNL - PNI: 1F
PNI - GUM: 1F
GUM - NRT: 1J
NRT - PVG: ---
PVG - NRT: ---
NRT - SJC: ---

1 Award 300,000 miles
Ticket Taxes/Fees $78.10
Total Price 300,000 Miles and $78.10

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.