UA: SFO - HI $80 return 23th/31th (Oct)

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 13, 7:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: J.Edward
Wiki Link
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi everyone,

Weíve identified an issue where customers are intentionally manipulating our website to set up award reservations and attempt to ticket with an account that does not have enough miles to complete the ticket. We will not honor these reservations.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi everyone,

We have a quick update related to the manipulation of united.com to book award tickets with insufficient miles that occurred last month. Specifically, we are closing new MileagePlus accounts that were assumed to be set up with the express purpose of attempting to redeem award tickets without the required number of award miles.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 15, 13, 3:32 am

i think this topic is getting extra spin because of the recent UA error fares. when i saw the thread, and knowing i didn't participate in the errors, i came to check it out. i would bet a lot of others thought the same thing, that wow it was an error part two. even the media.

in the end i would think very few pushed through with this. it became clear when you looked at it that it was easy to do but not quite the error of a few weeks ago. UA tries to make their case that customers are bad, people who bought but couldn't fly will make the case UA is bad. same as every other day in many ways. i bet the media is of the same mindset. some outlets will proclaim UA is the worst ever at running a website, and some will claim that UA is horrible for not allowing the tickets to go through. meh.
Old Oct 15, 13, 5:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I made my opinion on the first few posts following the OP, and I will add something here. I've noted many posts here and on other sites referring to poor IT QA or legitimately stumbling on to this error and why it should be honored.

While there is no doubt it is shoddy programming, it doesn't make it OK to then purposely take advantage of it. A fare mistake that was loaded incorrectly and allowed to ticket, I can see that being UA's responsibility. In this case, it didn't ticket at the error rate and people are trying to manipulate the price.

I think an appropriate analogy in this case isn't a mispriced item at the store (price sticker of $1.50 instead of $150), but a customer purposely removing the correct $150, and putting a $1.50 price sticker on, going to the checkout in hopes the cashier doesn't notice.

Again, there is a difference between taking advantage of the store's error (UA mispricing their flights last month) vs. proactively trying to change the price when the correct price has been displayed.
Old Oct 15, 13, 7:36 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, AA Gold
I had started a separate thread not realizing this one addresses the glitch. For those who still want to try the site below gives step by step instructions.

http://therewardboss.com/2013/10/14/...flights-again/
Old Oct 15, 13, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/3mm+, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by unavaca View Post
It's threads like these that make me embarrassed to be FTer.
Yep. There is a reason I would never use one of those FT bag tags. This place has become overrun with too many people trying to go to any lengths to secure benefits they can't afford on their own, and in many cases, the "knowledge" is then leveraged into commercial interests via blogs and subsequent credit card app hawking.

Sharing knowledge on how to get the most out of a frequent flier program is a far cry from manipulating browsers into mispricing awards. As far as I am concerned, I hope the parties who have attempted this get their accounts closed and miles confiscated.
Old Oct 15, 13, 8:07 am

There was a flaw, which allowed users acting within the normal limits of the United site to book incorrectly priced flights. They may or may not have had the intent to obtain incorrectly-priced flights. They may or may not have known the prices were due to a glitch, rather than a deep discount of sorts.

United will likely cancel all reservations, as they will be easy to identify, and haven't been ticketed yet. They will not needlessly go after users who received incorrectly-priced flights, pursuing legal suits of questionable merit and fueling a PR disaster that has at its root, questionable software practices at the company.
Old Oct 15, 13, 8:20 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AAExPlat View Post
Yep. There is a reason I would never use one of those FT bag tags. This place has become overrun with too many people trying to go to any lengths to secure benefits they can't afford on their own, and in many cases, the "knowledge" is then leveraged into commercial interests via blogs and subsequent credit card app hawking.

Sharing knowledge on how to get the most out of a frequent flier program is a far cry from manipulating browsers into mispricing awards. As far as I am concerned, I hope the parties who have attempted this get their accounts closed and miles confiscated.

This would make for great media if united decides to close accounts. "United closes accounts for their own computer glitch".
Old Oct 15, 13, 8:24 am

Did the final screen quote the correct number of miles? Or did it just say $5 or whatever the taxes are?
Old Oct 15, 13, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by cybaslacka View Post
This would make for great media if united decides to close accounts. "United closes accounts for their own computer glitch".
Who cares? If you don't lay down the law sometime, folks who think this kind if behavior is acceptable will escalate their behavior even further...

Would you prefer if they not close accounts and rather attempt to get criminal charges levied?
Old Oct 15, 13, 8:43 am

Who cares? If you don't lay down the law sometime, folks who think this kind if behavior is acceptable will escalate their behavior even further...

Would you prefer if they not close accounts and rather attempt to get criminal charges levied?
Who cares? United. Bad publicity does a lot of damage. Even if united has the right to close accounts per the terms of their mileage program, actually closing them when many have taken advantage of this glitch would make a very unpopular move for the brand. Bad enough they had a series of glitches. Makes it much worse when they close (thousands of??) accounts.
Old Oct 15, 13, 8:46 am

Who cares? United. Bad publicity does a lot of damage. Even if united has the right to close accounts per the terms of their mileage program, actually closing them when many have taken advantage of this glitch would make a very unpopular move for the brand. Bad enough they had a series of glitches. Makes it much worse when they close (thousands of??) accounts.
You need to stop making excuses for people who were attempting to steal. Sometimes, doing the right thing can cost you a lot of money. The idea that reputation is more important than accountability will lead to more problems down the road.

Frankly the only thing more disgusting than trying to steal is to later use extortion to get something free from the attempt. Some people are advocating for some sort of compensation...the mind really boggles.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 15, 13 at 9:47 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 15, 13, 8:52 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold) / SPG Gold / Intercontinental Ambassador / AMEX Platinum
United - the only airline where customers are both passengers and website debuggers....
Old Oct 15, 13, 8:55 am

FT, or at least the UNITED forum has become overrun with preachy, self righteous posters who seem to believe they have the moral high ground and this is the space to disseminate their brand right and wrong.

How did this happen? I wish the posters that are off topic and not discussing the glitch/error/whatever had their FT accounts suspended for being off topic. At this point probably me including, but enough is enough. We are adults, don't have something constructive to say, move on.

This is a very public travel site, where else but here would you to to discuss things like this? Then to be ridiculed and have someone hope you get punished? I didn't try this browser trick/ glitch business thing, but I'm sure as heck not going to blast those that did.

Yuck.
Old Oct 15, 13, 8:56 am

You need to stop making excuses for people who were attempting to steal. Sometimes, doing the right thing can cost you a lot of money. The idea that reputation is more important than accountability will lead to more problems down the road.
When a hedge fundís black box executes a series of unintended trades bankrupting the entire fund, what would you say about the counterpartyís (recipient on the other side of the trade) behavior? We live in a world where the successful ride on waves of arbitrage opportunities, with this United glitch being one of them. Chances are, this deal will not get honored, but this was a free option. As someone stated earlier, we didnít hack Unitedís website. We took advantage of a glitch, similar to a hedge fund executing a bad trade.

AAExPlat, I respect your opinion and I wish thatís the way the world works, but it doesnít.
Old Oct 15, 13, 8:56 am

Frankly the only thing more disgusting than trying to steal is to later use extortion to get something free from the attempt. Some people are advocating for some sort of compensation...the mind really boggles.
UA owes me compensation for listening to people argue on here. It was after call, caused by UA.
Old Oct 15, 13, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by sis22 View Post
United - the only airline where customers are both passengers and website debuggers....
There is no doubt that UA has problems with its site. Not entirely dissimilar from a store owner unknowingly having a faulty lock on the door. But that doesn't entitle the public to pick the lock and steal his inventory.

And to the point that UA is the only airline that has web glitches that are discovered by pax and subsequently fixed, that is demonstrat wrong. I have had this happen on AA several times...

When a hedge fundís black box executes a series of unintended trades bankrupting the entire fund, what would you say about the counterpartyís (recipient on the other side of the trade) behavior? We live in a world where the successful ride on waves of arbitrage opportunities, with this United glitch being one of them. Chances are, this deal will not get honored, but this was a free option. As someone stated earlier, we didnít hack Unitedís website. We took advantage of a glitch, similar to a hedge fund executing a bad trade.

AAExPlat, I respect your opinion and I wish thatís the way the world works, but it doesnít.
I don't condone that behavior no matter who engages in it. You and I have different visions of how to live our lives and how to define successful, and we won't agree on this issue. This is my last contribution to this thread.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 15, 13 at 9:47 am Reason: merge

Search this Thread
Search Engine: