Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We’ve identified an issue where customers are intentionally manipulating our website to set up award reservations and attempt to ticket with an account that does not have enough miles to complete the ticket. We will not honor these reservations.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Hi everyone,

We have a quick update related to the manipulation of united.com to book award tickets with insufficient miles that occurred last month. Specifically, we are closing new MileagePlus accounts that were assumed to be set up with the express purpose of attempting to redeem award tickets without the required number of award miles.

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

UA: SFO - HI $80 return 23th/31th (Oct)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: All of them...
One of my reservation went through without payment, and doesnt show rate on res, and is booked in Y class
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chff
One of my reservation went through without payment, and doesnt show rate on res, and is booked in Y class
Did it actually ticket??
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:58 am

I'm getting the $250,000 and $65 in taxes on the summary page but then on the payment page it says 250,000 miles and $65. I have 250,000 miles in my account so I assume it will just pull the miles so this doesn't work for those of us who have stockpiled miles.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Bruce11
for me it said 4,556 Miles and $0.00, it got ticketed, but my credit card was charged $4556.
How long after receiving your reservation confirmation number was your flight eticketed?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:50 am

Yes, gaming the system is unethical, but what this is doing is absolutely not hacking. A hacker's tools are not the refresh button and new tab button...If you can teach a 5 year old to replicate this, then it is not hacking

What this is however is a glaring hole in United's ticketing system and is absolutely unacceptable for a global company of this magnitude to have some exploit like this. Who knows where all the other holes and poor programming lies? I certainly hope it's nowhere near my account info. Just an embarassment for United, is all
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lolwjat
Yes, gaming the system is unethical, but what this is doing is absolutely not hacking. A hacker's tools are not the refresh button and new tab button...If you can teach a 5 year old to replicate this, then it is not hacking

What this is however is a glaring hole in United's ticketing system and is absolutely unacceptable for a global company of this magnitude to have some exploit like this. Who knows where all the other holes and poor programming lies? I certainly hope it's nowhere near my account info. Just an embarassment for United, is all
+1...not to mention the fact that although folks are receiving confirmations, nobody has had anything successfully ticket so it's an embarassment that's not costing them any actual money, except for the seats that are being temporarily tied up by folks with reservations that will never ticket.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:00 pm

it does not work, i tried the way to refresh the website, nothing happened. does it work?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cubachao
it does not work, i tried the way to refresh the website, nothing happened. does it work?
does not matter, no one has reported successful ticketing and UA has been aware of this for days.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:46 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Update

Hi everyone,

We’ve identified an issue where customers are intentionally manipulating our website to set up award reservations and attempt to ticket with an account that does not have enough miles to complete the ticket. We will not honor these reservations.

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I wish UA could fix issues that also affect customer service
They run to fix price errors but still can't fix simple issues.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Will you be locking those accounts?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I wish UA could fix issues that also affect customer service
They run to fix price errors but still can't fix simple issues.
Issues that affect UA = lightning fast fix
Issues that affed consumers = eh, we'll take a few months/years on that...
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:11 pm

Hi everyone,

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Hey Aaron,

Glad to see United employees actually listening here. Now that we all have your attention I hope you guys can design a better website. As in, fix it now ^
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:36 pm

Funny, when there was an issue that accidentally affected my registration about a year ago there was no fix and you honored that reservation/bug.

Hi everyone,

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Imagine that, .bomb has a bug. Who'd have believed it.

To those who have said UA fixes all the issues that affect the company in an adverse way, but doesn't fix the customer experience issues -- they have too many of the former to ever get around to the latter...it's not personal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.