Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United quietly raises cost of alcohol on board

Old Oct 10, 13, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

I noticed this on my DEN - IAD flight on Monday night and it struck me as being a definite change. I just did a search on FT but didn't see anyone else report it (which surprises me a bit). I did not actually purchase any alcohol (and I have chits even if I'd wanted to so I wouldn't have been quoted the actual price by the FA) but I assume what is printed is legit and what is being charged on board.

According to the October edition of Hemispheres the new prices for alcohol on board are as follows:

Beer - $6.99
Wine - $7.99
Liquor - $7.99

To make sure I'm not crazy I went back and looked at the online version of the September Hemispheres which confirms my suspicions as it lists the following for alcohol prices on board:

Beer - $6
Wine - $7
Liquor $7

Mods if there is already a thread on this forgive me and merge but I didn't see one when I searched
Old Oct 10, 13, 5:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by flyerdude88 View Post
Beer - $6.99
Wine - $7.99
Liquor - $7.99
I'm surprised they only raised it that much. I was fully expecting them to start matching the $9/drink United Club prices.
Old Oct 10, 13, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyerdude88 View Post
I noticed this on my DEN - IAD flight on Monday night and it struck me as being a definite change. I just did a search on FT but didn't see anyone else report it (which surprises me a bit). I did not actually purchase any alcohol (and I have chits even if I'd wanted to so I wouldn't have been quoted the actual price by the FA) but I assume what is printed is legit and what is being charged on board.

According to the October edition of Hemispheres the new prices for alcohol on board are as follows:

Beer - $6.99
Wine - $7.99
Liquor - $7.99

To make sure I'm not crazy I went back and looked at the online version of the September Hemispheres which confirms my suspicions as it lists the following for alcohol prices on board:

Beer - $6
Wine - $7
Liquor $7

Mods if there is already a thread on this forgive me and merge but I didn't see one when I searched
Yay! So the NPV of my drink coupons has appreciated!
Old Oct 10, 13, 5:26 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Originally Posted by coutura View Post
I'm surprised they only raised it that much. I was fully expecting them to start matching the $9/drink United Club prices.
Yep. Only a matter of time before Bombay Sapphire gin & tonics are $11 on board like they are in the United Club.
Old Oct 10, 13, 5:38 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer View Post
Yep. Only a matter of time before Bombay Sapphire gin & tonics are $11 on board like they are in the United Club.
They always seem to give me 2 when I use a drink coupon. Which is quite often these days.
Old Oct 10, 13, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer View Post
Yeah I can just see the spin now..."we heard your complaints that the United Club drink prices were not in line with on board drink prices so we made another enhancement you will like".
Old Oct 10, 13, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andyh64000 View Post
Yeah I can just see the spin now..."we heard your complaints that the United Club drink prices were not in line with on board drink prices so we made another enhancement you will like".
Hilarious. But sadly true.
Old Oct 10, 13, 5:52 pm

Must be a part of their return to "Fly the Friendly Skies" motto.
Old Oct 10, 13, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
Yay! So the NPV of my drink coupons has appreciated!
Shh--UA will decide to offer less chits next year, or will limit their use to Bud Lite .
Old Oct 10, 13, 6:15 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Shh--UA will decide to offer less chits next year, or will limit their use to Bud Lite .
Don't give them ideas.

Now I am concerned.
Old Oct 10, 13, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Speaking of drink chits, when I qualified for Platinum for the first time last year, I got some of them, and then I got more when I became 1K.

This year, I'm on track to get 1K (already hit the platinum level). I didn't get any when I crossed the platinum threshold.

Does that mean I'll get fewer this year for re-qualifying as a 1K than I did last year on my way there the first time?

I understand that they usually come with the card and I know why they wouldn't send me a platinum one yet, but somehow I'm not expecting double when I get my 1K renewal package.
Old Oct 10, 13, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by villox View Post
Speaking of drink chits, when I qualified for Platinum for the first time last year, I got some of them, and then I got more when I became 1K.

This year, I'm on track to get 1K (already hit the platinum level). I didn't get any when I crossed the platinum threshold.

Does that mean I'll get fewer this year for re-qualifying as a 1K than I did last year on my way there the first time?

I understand that they usually come with the card and I know why they wouldn't send me a platinum one yet, but somehow I'm not expecting double when I get my 1K renewal package.
You only get them when you get a new card (for exceeding your current status level) or at the start of a new benefit year. You're already 1K, so you won't get anything for crossing plat this year, or even when you attain 1K this year. You'll get your next chits in the 2014 Premier Card pack. And, no, you will not get double chits.
Old Oct 10, 13, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
...assuming they give out chits next year. "Equable pricing on board" (aka everyone pays the max) - another change you'll like, coming soon.
Old Oct 10, 13, 7:12 pm

My immediate thought, like others, came to those drink chits. Then I had an image of a amusement park, where 1 ticket gets you the no-frills ride then gradually more tickets for the really cool stuff. Is that the potential direction we are going here?
Old Oct 10, 13, 7:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by DBCme View Post
My immediate thought, like others, came to those drink chits. Then I had an image of a amusement park, where 1 ticket gets you the no-frills ride then gradually more tickets for the really cool stuff. Is that the potential direction we are going here?
Shhhh.... United might be listening. But really, I think they're trying to keep the pricing fairly simple to expedite the serving process (not having a different prices for every type and brand of beverage).

The $0.99 increases bring the price format in line with the rest of their menu (everything else pretty much ends in .99 as well). With being completely cashless, there's little reason not to do this.

It took FTers 10 days to notice this, so I think the whole psychological $6.99 = $6 aspect is working

Search this Thread
Search Engine: