FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United quietly raises cost of alcohol on board (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1510993-united-quietly-raises-cost-alcohol-board.html)

Duke787 Oct 10, 2013 4:14 pm

United quietly raises cost of alcohol on board

I noticed this on my DEN - IAD flight on Monday night and it struck me as being a definite change. I just did a search on FT but didn't see anyone else report it (which surprises me a bit). I did not actually purchase any alcohol (and I have chits even if I'd wanted to so I wouldn't have been quoted the actual price by the FA) but I assume what is printed is legit and what is being charged on board.

According to the October edition of Hemispheres the new prices for alcohol on board are as follows:

Beer - $6.99
Wine - $7.99
Liquor - $7.99

To make sure I'm not crazy I went back and looked at the online version of the September Hemispheres which confirms my suspicions as it lists the following for alcohol prices on board:

Beer - $6
Wine - $7
Liquor $7

Mods if there is already a thread on this forgive me and merge but I didn't see one when I searched

coutura Oct 10, 2013 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88 (Post 21587961)
Beer - $6.99
Wine - $7.99
Liquor - $7.99

I'm surprised they only raised it that much. I was fully expecting them to start matching the $9/drink United Club prices.

dmurphynj Oct 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88 (Post 21587961)
I noticed this on my DEN - IAD flight on Monday night and it struck me as being a definite change. I just did a search on FT but didn't see anyone else report it (which surprises me a bit). I did not actually purchase any alcohol (and I have chits even if I'd wanted to so I wouldn't have been quoted the actual price by the FA) but I assume what is printed is legit and what is being charged on board.

According to the October edition of Hemispheres the new prices for alcohol on board are as follows:

Beer - $6.99
Wine - $7.99
Liquor - $7.99

To make sure I'm not crazy I went back and looked at the online version of the September Hemispheres which confirms my suspicions as it lists the following for alcohol prices on board:

Beer - $6
Wine - $7
Liquor $7

Mods if there is already a thread on this forgive me and merge but I didn't see one when I searched

Yay! So the NPV of my drink coupons has appreciated!

ATXflyer Oct 10, 2013 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by coutura (Post 21587981)
I'm surprised they only raised it that much. I was fully expecting them to start matching the $9/drink United Club prices.

Yep. Only a matter of time before Bombay Sapphire gin & tonics are $11 on board like they are in the United Club.

escapefromphl Oct 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer (Post 21588038)
Yep. Only a matter of time before Bombay Sapphire gin & tonics are $11 on board like they are in the United Club.

They always seem to give me 2 when I use a drink coupon. Which is quite often these days.

andyh64000 Oct 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer (Post 21588038)

Yeah I can just see the spin now..."we heard your complaints that the United Club drink prices were not in line with on board drink prices so we made another enhancement you will like".

UA-NYC Oct 10, 2013 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by andyh64000 (Post 21588135)
Yeah I can just see the spin now..."we heard your complaints that the United Club drink prices were not in line with on board drink prices so we made another enhancement you will like".

Hilarious. But sadly true.

CodeAdam10 Oct 10, 2013 4:52 pm

Must be a part of their return to "Fly the Friendly Skies" motto.

exerda Oct 10, 2013 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj (Post 21588022)
Yay! So the NPV of my drink coupons has appreciated!

Shh--UA will decide to offer less chits next year, or will limit their use to Bud Lite .

Neil35 Oct 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 21588210)
Shh--UA will decide to offer less chits next year, or will limit their use to Bud Lite .

Don't give them ideas.

Now I am concerned.

villox Oct 10, 2013 5:17 pm

Speaking of drink chits, when I qualified for Platinum for the first time last year, I got some of them, and then I got more when I became 1K.

This year, I'm on track to get 1K (already hit the platinum level). I didn't get any when I crossed the platinum threshold.

Does that mean I'll get fewer this year for re-qualifying as a 1K than I did last year on my way there the first time?

I understand that they usually come with the card and I know why they wouldn't send me a platinum one yet, but somehow I'm not expecting double when I get my 1K renewal package.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Oct 10, 2013 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by villox (Post 21588240)
Speaking of drink chits, when I qualified for Platinum for the first time last year, I got some of them, and then I got more when I became 1K.

This year, I'm on track to get 1K (already hit the platinum level). I didn't get any when I crossed the platinum threshold.

Does that mean I'll get fewer this year for re-qualifying as a 1K than I did last year on my way there the first time?

I understand that they usually come with the card and I know why they wouldn't send me a platinum one yet, but somehow I'm not expecting double when I get my 1K renewal package.

You only get them when you get a new card (for exceeding your current status level) or at the start of a new benefit year. You're already 1K, so you won't get anything for crossing plat this year, or even when you attain 1K this year. You'll get your next chits in the 2014 Premier Card pack. And, no, you will not get double chits.

eflyte Oct 10, 2013 6:04 pm

...assuming they give out chits next year. "Equable pricing on board" (aka everyone pays the max) - another change you'll like, coming soon.

DBCme Oct 10, 2013 6:12 pm

My immediate thought, like others, came to those drink chits. Then I had an image of a amusement park, where 1 ticket gets you the no-frills ride then gradually more tickets for the really cool stuff. Is that the potential direction we are going here? :eek:

coutura Oct 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by DBCme (Post 21588472)
My immediate thought, like others, came to those drink chits. Then I had an image of a amusement park, where 1 ticket gets you the no-frills ride then gradually more tickets for the really cool stuff. Is that the potential direction we are going here? :eek:

Shhhh.... United might be listening. But really, I think they're trying to keep the pricing fairly simple to expedite the serving process (not having a different prices for every type and brand of beverage).

The $0.99 increases bring the price format in line with the rest of their menu (everything else pretty much ends in .99 as well). With being completely cashless, there's little reason not to do this.

It took FTers 10 days to notice this, so I think the whole psychological $6.99 = $6 aspect is working ;)