Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Using Jet airways to and from India, Baggage???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM

I fly to Bangalore India a few times per year and have started to book via EWR to BOM (Mumbai) then Jet Airways to BLR. This allows for one GPU between US and India vs two GPU's on LH via FRA for one direction. Also get E+ as a backup if upgrade does not go through. My questions are: 1. with a 10 hour lay over in Mumbai will my bags be tagged through to BLR? If I clear customs at Mumbai is it easy to recheck bags to Jet Airways? If I take the max of three 70 lb bags will Jet Airways honor United luggage terms? finally, with 10 hours (most overnight) what club is recommended to camp out? I am 1k flying on a coach ticket but the outbound flight to BOM has already cleared for Business Class next March. As always thanks for feedback and suggestions. November will be my trip via this new route.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Assuming the bags are tagged through (and they should be) Jet should accept them without issue. On the return you should get UA rules as the MSC but that's something which is hard to guarantee. And I am pretty sure you will claim your bags to clear customs in BOM.

You won't have any lounge access as a *G departing on a Jet flight in coach. I don't know what the buy-in lounge situation is.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA General member
Originally Posted by sbm12
Assuming the bags are tagged through (and they should be) Jet should accept them without issue. On the return you should get UA rules as the MSC but that's something which is hard to guarantee.
I recently returned BLR-DEL-EWR-BOS, and the Jet staff at BLR got me boarding passes and checked bags through using UA rules (no charge for first bag)
Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jtkohl
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbm12

Assuming the bags are tagged through (and they should be) Jet should accept them without issue. On the return you should get UA rules as the MSC but that's something which is hard to guarantee.

I recently returned BLR-DEL-EWR-BOS, and the Jet staff at BLR got me boarding passes and checked bags through using UA rules (no charge for first bag)
UA boarding passes? And was this on one combined ticket or was the Jet piece bought separately?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:43 pm

Programs: 1-k spg gold
I have not had success with Jet Airways in any capacity, fly UA to Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai and purchased a Jet ticket to final destination Madurai. Always an excess baggage charge in spite of my million mile UA status. Never, any mileage credit. Always a long and disgruntled line to pay the excess fees by others such as myself. Terrible airline.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA General member
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
UA boarding passes? And was this on one combined ticket or was the Jet piece bought separately?
Yes, Jet Airways checkin desk at BLR issued boarding passes (on generic stock) all the way to BOS, and they worked for boarding the planes.

In DEL, 9W operates into T3. I followed the signs for Domestic-International transfers, had to go through passport control and security check, but no hassles. At the gate, UA staff asked to see baggage receipt so they could confirm the transfer and load the bag. Again, no problems.

It was a single ticket on 016 stock for BLR-DEL-EWR-BOS. I just showed the agent the printed itinerary showing connection in DEL, no problems.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
Baggage transfer from UA to 9W at BOM

I have 2 separate itineraries: SFO-EWR-BOM on UA then 9W from BOM-CMB. Can UA check the bags all the way through to CMB?

We have 5.5 hrs between flights in BOM and we are concerned about lost bags as we have a tight itinerary 1.5 days later heading into Myanmar after that. Should we purposely let the bags arrive in BOM and re-check into 9W given our extended layover? Not sure about the reliability of the transfer between the 2 airlines. Would we go through immigration in BOM if we are doing an international to international transfer?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
As long as the ticket is on same stock (i.e. same e-tkt number) you should not have any problems and can make a case. On a recent trip in J (entire journey on same tkt) from NRT-HKG-MAA(CX) and then MAA-HYD on 9W, the 9W agent at MAA wanted me to pay for the extra baggage even though the bags were tagged all the way to HYD at NRT by CX. I argued with him that the entire journey is on one PNR and same ticket number and also MSC rules should apply. He did not know MSC rules.

Finally he accepted after 10 min of checking with other agents though he acted like he did me a favor. He removed the CX tags which had HYD on them and put in 9W tags on the bags.

I try to avoid connections with in India if possible. YMMV however. You may want to check on India based airlines forum on FT.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
You should check the Mumbai Ariport Transfer Guide Thread. According to MANY FTers, you will definitely have to pickup your luggage, and take to Domestic Terminal or check to Domestic Terminal. You have to physically grab your bags off the carousel whether you interline or not. (apparently they treat international and domestic as two separate airports). They have free bus shuttle, or you pay for a taxi. Shuttle lines can be long, and you can get ripped off by taxi. All those on this thread doling out advice need to read this other thread, as it appears erroneous info is being given out here.
Just want to help those, who may be given bad info.
I myself am taking trip EWR-BOM-HYD, and back in a couple weeks and trying to solve the riddle of BOM. I am on UA, then 9W. Based on everything I can tell, you will need to pick up your luggage off of carousel, and at a minimum take to 9W counter in international and check. This is done after going through immigration.
Hope this helps.
I'm not checking a bag, as I'm only going to be in BOM and HYD for a week.
Cheers.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:27 pm

UA to BLR and MAA??

Originally Posted by turpwa
I have not had success with Jet Airways in any capacity, fly UA to Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai and purchased a Jet ticket to final destination Madurai. Always an excess baggage charge in spite of my million mile UA status. Never, any mileage credit. Always a long and disgruntled line to pay the excess fees by others such as myself. Terrible airline.
Old May 1, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
Originally Posted by scottsam66
I myself am taking trip EWR-BOM-HYD, and back in a couple weeks and trying to solve the riddle of BOM. I am on UA, then 9W. Based on everything I can tell, you will need to pick up your luggage off of carousel, and at a minimum take to 9W counter in international and check. This is done after going through immigration.
From everything I've read recently, it sounds like if you're coming in EWR-BOM on UA then doing BOM-HYD on Jet, you can retrieve you bags in BOM to clear customs then drop them with Jet before leaving the new T2. Was this what you experienced? I know you didn't have checked bags, but did you see the staff there accepting bags? My connection time is ~10 hours overnight and I've booked a hotel, it'd be fantastic to not have to haul my bags to and from.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I will be on a BLR-BOM-EWR trip home next Saturday, the BLR-BOM segment will be on Jet Airways. The ticket was issued by UA so everything is on the same PNR.

I will have 2 bags to check in BLR, and as a 1K (and BF if my GPU clears), will Jet Airways charge me for the second bag? Remember that as a 1K, I am allowed 3 bags.

I will also need to solve the BOM riddle as the shuttle bus option does not look appealing at all! I will be traveling with a colleague who will be on LH in C, so may be he & I can use a taxi between T2 & T1 in BOM?

Any advice would appreciated
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Jet Airways is hit and miss. They have argued with me in the past and I had to ask them to call the HQ in BOM before they will accept the luggage. On the other hand, they had no problem other times.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by sapguy
I will be on a BLR-BOM-EWR trip home next Saturday, the BLR-BOM segment will be on Jet Airways. The ticket was issued by UA so everything is on the same PNR.

I will have 2 bags to check in BLR, and as a 1K (and BF if my GPU clears), will Jet Airways charge me for the second bag? Remember that as a 1K, I am allowed 3 bags.

I will also need to solve the BOM riddle as the shuttle bus option does not look appealing at all! I will be traveling with a colleague who will be on LH in C, so may be he & I can use a taxi between T2 & T1 in BOM?

Any advice would appreciated
I connected in BOM from Jet Airways to the United flight to Newark about a week ago, though my flights were on different PNRs. I can't speak to the baggage allowances (Jet forced me to check my carry-on, which I collected in BOM, and then had no issues with on United), but the shuttle bus was very easy. Luggage was very quick off the domestic flight, then the line for the shuttle bus was right there in the baggage claim area. Waited 10-15 minutes, went through a security check and then was on the bus. Was in the int'l terminal no more than an hour after I landed. Unless my experience was a one-off, I find it hard to believe a taxi would be any quicker (or that much quicker).

One other comment on the luggage, if I were doing it again and checking bags, I would consider picking them up in the domestic terminal and taking them with me to the int'l terminal to re-check. The terminals are not that close, and I'd probably feel better doing it myself. The shuttle drops you off at the entrance to the intl terminal, so not very far to have to carry the luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.