Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into?

Common issue
Expert Mode shows ..... T9, L9, K9, G9, N9 but you not able to get united.com or other sites to provide a fare for N or G or .... WHY?

There are three requirements to be able to book a fare class
1) there needs to be a fare rule for that fare class for your O/D.
2) you need to meet all the requirements for the fare rule -- advance purchase, days of the week, min stay, qualified flight numbers, qualified routing (including a possible RT requirement), .....
3) there needs to be inventory in the fare class

So if the cheapest fare rule filed is K, you will not be able to book N or G
Even if a fare rule is filed and there is inventory then you still need to meet the fare rule requirements.

As for searching, if multiple fares qualify, the cheapest will be displayed unless you specifically force a fare class. While the fare hierarchy will generally match the cost, occasionally a high fare class will be cheaper than a lower fare class due to differences in fare flexibility such as refundable, changeability, ....

So there are multiple reasons for why a specific fare class is and not is offered. Confusion on this is one reason UA has been reluctant to make fare class inventory easily available and the reason UA requires one to accept the following terms before providing access to Expert Mode:
This is not a forecasting tool. Availability levels in certain fare classes should not be interpreted as indicating that we will make other fare classes available.

The presence of a particular fare class does not mean that there is a fare associated with it. For example, we may offer availability in a discounted fare class, but that does not necessarily mean we have published a fare that corresponds to it.
How can you see the fare rules?
While booking (on the first "Review trip itin" page) and after booking (on the online view of the reservation) , UA will makes them available -- but this is only if UA will display that particular fare.

Before booking or if unable to get access on UA, there are paid services -- KVS, Expert Flyer. ... can provide access to all published fare rules.

Related threads
Decoding the alphabet soup - New fare buckets for UA

How to get a P class fare to Europe?

Understanding Airline Inventory (non FT blog posting)

Desired Fare Class is available but has insufficient space, what can be done?
Print Wikipost

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Not sure if this is the right place for this but couldn't find another similar thread.

I am not understanding how a published fare is used to calculate the eventual amount paid. Example is this:
IAH > LHR RT on July 4-7. Flights are Z9 P9. Expert flyer shows a P fare is effective on those dates of $2056, but it is a minimum of two tickets. When you go through to purchase UA is asking for 3607.83 per person. 351.83 of that is taxes & fees with the fare component 3256 - $1200 more than the published fare.
Similarly if you try to book just one ticket it forces into Z (as expected), but the final price has a fare component of 4867 - which again is $1200 more than the published 3667 Z fare. Where is the extra $1200 coming from?

Thanks in advance. Just trying to understand more on how fare basis works.
PQA76SNC UA P Round-Trip 2056.00(USD)
ZHX86ERC UA Z Round-Trip 3667.00(USD)
Old May 29, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Similarly if you try to book just one ticket it forces into Z (as expected), but the final price has a fare component of 4867 - which again is $1200 more than the published 3667 Z fare. Where is the extra $1200 coming from?
The base fare for the P fare is $2056.00, but there is $1,200.00 per ticket in International Surcharges (formerly fuel surcharges) that go into the final ticket price. United bundles it into the fare price shown in all advertisements, but doesn't include it in the base fare that is published to some expert-level industry sources for various reasons (mainly to make it easy to adjust all the fares in a single market at once, but also because YQ non-commissionable under most travel agency contracts).

In case you're curious, here is the full pricing breakdown for two P-fares (you can see the 1200.00 YQ there).

Code:
04JUL DEPARTURE DATE-----LAST DAY TO PURCHASE 01JUN/1301        
       BASE FARE                 TAXES/FEES/CHARGES    TOTAL    
 2-   USD2056.00                   1541.73XT      USD3597.73ADT 
    XT   1200.00YQ      37.20US       5.77YC       7.00XY       
            3.96XA       5.60AY     218.50GB      59.20UB       
            4.50XF                                              
         4112.00                   3083.46           7195.46TTL 
ADT-02  PQA76SNC                                                
 HOU UA LON1028.00UA HOU1028.00NUC2056.00END ROE1.00 XFIAH4.5
International surcharges of around $1,000 are pretty typical for premium cabins in the transatlantic market. They tend to be a bit less for transpacific.

Last edited by Sykes; May 30, 2019 at 11:16 am
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I’m trying to book a GPU-able flight from LAX-IAH-EZE departing December 5, and returning on December 20. When I plugged in “Upgrade type/GPU,” the return options gave me a price differential of over $1,000 to take a decent connection ($2,744 vs. $1,668, as explained below).

For the outbound, the flight options through IAH show “W” as the fare class. (I used the 12PM LAX-IAH in my search.) So far, so good! However, the options for the return flights show the earlier connections out of IAH (with UA 1956 at 9:40AM being my preferred connections) as booking into B class at the $2,744 fare, even though both legs are showing E6 as the lowest fare bucket. I tried to search for fare class E, but I got the dreaded “Requested fare class: Not Available,” with the default to L class – or an astronomically high business class fare. No, thanks.

I could go with the earliest connection that will get me a reasonable (U) fare at $1,668, but it would entail a 7:25 hour layover at IAH. This is tolerable if my GPU clears and I can shower and relax in the Polaris lounge, but will be intolerable if it doesn’t. I do not want to rely on a SDC for two reasons: 1) I will be returning from a cruise to Antarctica, and will probably be in transit on my flight back to EZE at the 24-hour witching hour. 2) December 20. Need I say more?

Thoughts on why I cannot get the E fare to price on the shorter connections?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 22, 2019 at 6:24 pm Reason: Moved to consodidated thread
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SS255
.... Thoughts on why I cannot get the E fare to price on the shorter connections?
You will have to get a copy of the E fare rules and find the clause you are not meeting (if there is an E fare filed) . You will need a service that can provide fare rule access or call an ask for an agent to help
It could be a number of things - the day of the week, min stay, routing, ....
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm seeing seasonality restrictions on the fares and Dec 20th is not valid.

TO UNITED STATES -
PERMITTED 17JAN THROUGH 02JUL OR 18JUL THROUGH 19DEC
OR ON 24DEC OR ON 31DEC FOR EACH ON THE FIRST
INTERNATIONAL SECTOR.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by xliioper
I'm seeing seasonality restrictions on the fares and Dec 20th is not valid.

TO UNITED STATES -
PERMITTED 17JAN THROUGH 02JUL OR 18JUL THROUGH 19DEC
OR ON 24DEC OR ON 31DEC FOR EACH ON THE FIRST
INTERNATIONAL SECTOR.
I guess I’ll go with the long layover and hope the upgrade clears.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:22 pm

Alright, cleared up the misunderstanding with the moderator, here's a link to the post I was mentioning before, if anyone wants to geek out: Fun with Fare Classes
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA: 1K. Hilton: Diamond. Marriot: Gold. AA: Gold
Relatively new to this forum. Trying to fully understand expert mode search on UA. I think I do not understand the number that comes after the fare class. I thought the number after the fare class is supposed to indicate the number of seats/tickets available in that fare class? Then why for example on UA flight with the cheapest economy fare for purchase only in V class, does it show K9 T9 S9 etc? On the next flight that same day, once again V class available at the same price, but this time showing W2 (meaning W fare available) and K0 T0 etc? Thanks.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There are multiple issues to understand in looking at this data.
1) for a fare to be offered there needs to be
a) a filed fare
b) fare class inventory is available
c) the desired purchase meets all the fare rules: advance purchase, routing, day of the week, ....
So fare class inventory is not enough by itself to allow a fare to be purchased.
say it is 3-days to travel and the cheap fares are 7-day advance purchase. They will not be purchasable but a 3-day AP or zero-day AP fare in a higher fare class will be purchasable

2) Fare class on multi-segment route are based on the min inventory of any segment
Say you want to go from AAA-BBB-CCC
AAA-BBB has W9 S0 ...
BBB-CCC has W6 S6 ...
AAA-BBB-CCC will be W6 S0

3) Fare inventory is capped at 9 for display purpose but there may be more than 9.
but Y9 B9 M9 .... does not mean there are 27 seats... all you can say is there are at least 9 seats. Could be if one seat is sold, it might go to Y8 B8 M8 or stay Y9 B9 M9
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
2) Fare class on multi-segment route are based on the min inventory of any segment
Say you want to go from AAA-BBB-CCC
AAA-BBB has W9 S0 ...
BBB-CCC has W6 S6 ...
AAA-BBB-CCC will be W6 S0

This isn't necessarily true. In fact, in many cases, UA will file an entirely separate set of inventory for AAA-BBB-CCC. So, in this case, AAA-BBB-CCC could be W6 S0, as you suggested, or W9 S9, or W0 S0, or anything in between. Both are common: UA will sometimes prefer to save inventory for nonstop travelers, and they'll sometimes prefer to save inventory for connecting travelers. It just depends upon what their revenue forecast thinks is most profitable.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
This isn't necessarily true. In fact, in many cases, UA will file an entirely separate set of inventory for AAA-BBB-CCC. So, in this case, AAA-BBB-CCC could be W6 S0, as you suggested, or W9 S9, or W0 S0, or anything in between. ....
Yes, correct -- was just trying to provide a simple example to address the poster's question, keeping in a digestible response and not covering every possible case (but understand this is FT)
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Looking at a fairly last minute one-way flight from MEX to EWR. UA is displaying Q fare as the lowest purchasable ticket; however, expert mode shows V=2. Why are V fare tickets not available for purchase?

Q=7, by the way; although UA is saying there are 6 tickets left at this price.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 7, 2020 at 10:16 pm Reason: Moved to consodidated thread
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Looking at a fairly last minute one-way flight from MEX to EWR. UA is displaying Q fare as the lowest purchasable ticket; however, expert mode shows V=2. Why are V fare tickets not available for purchase?

Q=7, by the way; although UA is saying there are 6 tickets left at this price.
It is likely that there is no valid V fare for yur date(s).
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Looking at a fairly last minute one-way flight from MEX to EWR. UA is displaying Q fare as the lowest purchasable ticket; however, expert mode shows V=2. Why are V fare tickets not available for purchase?....
For a fare to be available, there are three things needed:
1) There be inventory (there is in this case)
2) There be a fare rule (likely there is)
3) All conditions of the fare rule must be met --such as advance purchase requirements (x days before travel), min stay, max stay, RT/OW availability, day of the week availability, .... likely one of these is not met

Additionally, there may be a fare combinability issue.

This thread's wiki covers this in more detail.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k & MM, Accor/LeClub Platinum
Question Fare Class Buckets - 2 travelers 1 confirmation # different prices

General question on limitations of Fare Class buckets. I am trying to book RT Business/First between IAD - SJD for December travel for party of 2. Apparently there is one fare in C class and the rest are J. So in this instance when booking for a party of 2 on same itinerary 1 will price in C and the other in J at a 150% of the C fare. Currently the entirety of Business/First is empty. I called the 1K desk to see if both could be priced in the C bucket given same itinerary/same confirmation #. They told me to pound sand after talking to "fare desk". Any suggestions of possible remedy? Alternate route to bring to better resolution (from my point of view clearly). I have not experienced this situation in last 15 years of flying almost exclusively on UA.

I do appreciate any insight fellow FTers can offer.

Kind regards and stay healthy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.