Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into?

Common issue
Expert Mode shows ..... T9, L9, K9, G9, N9 but you not able to get united.com or other sites to provide a fare for N or G or .... WHY?

There are three requirements to be able to book a fare class
1) there needs to be a fare rule for that fare class for your O/D.
2) you need to meet all the requirements for the fare rule -- advance purchase, days of the week, min stay, qualified flight numbers, qualified routing (including a possible RT requirement), .....
3) there needs to be inventory in the fare class

So if the cheapest fare rule filed is K, you will not be able to book N or G
Even if a fare rule is filed and there is inventory then you still need to meet the fare rule requirements.

As for searching, if multiple fares qualify, the cheapest will be displayed unless you specifically force a fare class. While the fare hierarchy will generally match the cost, occasionally a high fare class will be cheaper than a lower fare class due to differences in fare flexibility such as refundable, changeability, ....

So there are multiple reasons for why a specific fare class is and not is offered. Confusion on this is one reason UA has been reluctant to make fare class inventory easily available and the reason UA requires one to accept the following terms before providing access to Expert Mode:
This is not a forecasting tool. Availability levels in certain fare classes should not be interpreted as indicating that we will make other fare classes available.

The presence of a particular fare class does not mean that there is a fare associated with it. For example, we may offer availability in a discounted fare class, but that does not necessarily mean we have published a fare that corresponds to it.
How can you see the fare rules?
While booking (on the first "Review trip itin" page) and after booking (on the online view of the reservation) , UA will makes them available -- but this is only if UA will display that particular fare.

Before booking or if unable to get access on UA, there are paid services -- KVS, Expert Flyer. ... can provide access to all published fare rules.

Related threads
Decoding the alphabet soup - New fare buckets for UA

How to get a P class fare to Europe?

Understanding Airline Inventory (non FT blog posting)

Desired Fare Class is available but has insufficient space, what can be done?
Print Wikipost

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]

Old May 4, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gcashin
I'm seeing a bit of an odd situation and trying to figure out why it's happening. For DEN-NRT, the Saturday flights I'd checked in November are just J1JN1 when searching DEN-NRT (e.g. November 9, November 16), but it's J9 if I look at some connecting options, and the J seatmap is completely empty with 36 unselected seats. I understand that they may not offer lower inventory for a direct flight like P or Z fares, but why would they be restricting sales on the direct flight to J1, and not even offering to sell 2 seats at full J on the direct when there are clearly 9+ J seats available for purchasing via connecting options. Any insight?
UA's IT is broken ... and it is a weekend ... no, this does not make sense and something is broken somewhere. I bet this will go back to normal Monday morning.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by gcashin
I'm seeing a bit of an odd situation and trying to figure out why it's happening. For DEN-NRT, the Saturday flights I'd checked in November are just J1JN1 when searching DEN-NRT (e.g. November 9, November 16), but it's J9 if I look at some connecting options, and the J seatmap is completely empty with 36 unselected seats. I understand that they may not offer lower inventory for a direct flight like P or Z fares, but why would they be restricting sales on the direct flight to J1, and not even offering to sell 2 seats at full J on the direct when there are clearly 9+ J seats available for purchasing via connecting options. Any insight?
EF is showing J9 C9 D9 for all Saturday DEN-NRT flights. If United.com is showing just J1 then it's a display error. Or, they fixed their inventory system already.

-RM
Old May 14, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA GS
Strange pricing EWR-CDG Memorial weekend

I am looking to purchase a round trip business fare from EWR to CDG departing 5/26 and returning 5/30. The system is only letting me purchase really expensive D fares ($10k and change) and I can't figure out why. On both flights, lower fare buckets are available and the outbound even has PN3 (UA54). Can anyone help me understand why I'm only being shown a D fare? I've purchased this route many times and I've never paid more than $8k. It's boggling my mind and assume someone smart here can explain
Old May 14, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by qwicker
I am looking to purchase a round trip business fare from EWR to CDG departing 5/26 and returning 5/30. The system is only letting me purchase really expensive D fares ($10k and change) and I can't figure out why. On both flights, lower fare buckets are available and the outbound even has PN3 (UA54). Can anyone help me understand why I'm only being shown a D fare? I've purchased this route many times and I've never paid more than $8k. It's boggling my mind and assume someone smart here can explain
One of the experts can probably give more context or pull the fare rules, but highly likely that the discount business buckets (especially intl) have some sort of advance purchase requirement. So even though you "see" availability down to PN, the Z and P fares likely have 14,21,30+ day purchase requirements, or minimum stay that you are not meeting with your quote for a ticket ~10 days out.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
One of the experts can probably give more context or pull the fare rules, but highly likely that the discount business buckets (especially intl) have some sort of advance purchase requirement. So even though you "see" availability down to PN, the Z and P fares likely have 14,21,30+ day purchase requirements, or minimum stay that you are not meeting with your quote for a ticket ~10 days out.
Correct. The P and Z fares both currently have a 60-90 day advance purchase requirement, except for one extremely date-limited P fare that won't fit the parameters.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
You're booking close-in and for less than 7 days.

Almost all of the published fares that are less than ~$8k roundtrip require a 60-day advance purchase. It ratchets up form there at 28, 14, and 7 days. The pricing you're seeing is super common for travel less than 14 days out now.

If you can find a traveling companion and stay at least 7 days, there is a deeply discounted accompanied travel fare for ~$3,100 all in. Requires 2 or more travelers, and as far as I can tell the only days it works for the Memorial Day period is 5/25 outbound and 6/1 return because of the seasonality and 7-day min stay.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sykes
If you can find a traveling companion and stay at least 7 days, there is a deeply discounted accompanied travel fare for ~$3,100 all in. Requires 2 or more travelers, and as far as I can tell the only days it works for the Memorial Day period is 5/25 outbound and 6/1 return because of the seasonality and 7-day min stay.
Ah, that was why I couldn't get it to price. I forgot to check the accompanied fare rule. ^ I concur that 5/25-6/1 is the minimum allowable set of dates. You have more options if you want to stay until the next holiday period, the first week of July.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Sykes
You're booking close-in and for less than 7 days.

Almost all of the published fares that are less than ~$8k roundtrip require a 60-day advance purchase. It ratchets up form there at 28, 14, and 7 days. The pricing you're seeing is super common for travel less than 14 days out now.

Thanks for this explanation. It's clear to me now. I guess UA thinks all the seats will sell at the high prices. I suppose we'll see!
Old May 14, 2019, 2:10 pm

Why not book W and upgrade
Old May 14, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
Why not book W and upgrade
Some people prefer not to use GPUs on business trips. Others prefer not to risk the upgrade failing to clear.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I always find it fun to pull the fare table in situations like this:

Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Cxr     Basis      BC  Cbn     Price   Tp  AP  Min  Max   Days    Rf  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 UA  PQX66SNC       P   J     $667.00  RT  60    S   3M   TWRF     N
 UA  PNX67SNC       P   J     $755.50  RT  60    7   3M    -X-     N
 UA  PQW66SNC       P   J     $817.00  RT  60    S   3M  M    SU   N
 UA  PQA76SNC       P   J     $868.50  RT   7    S  12M            N
 UA  PNX66SNC       P   J     $905.50  RT  60    S   3M    -X-     N
 UA  PNX96ENC       P   J   $1,115.50  RT  90    S  12M   TWRF     N
 UA  PNW96ENC       P   J   $1,265.50  RT  90    S  12M  M    SU   N
 UA  PNX61ENC       P   J   $1,365.50  RT  60   10  12M   TWRF     N
 UA  ZNW61ENC       Z   J   $1,515.50  RT  60   10  12M  M    SU   N
 UA  ZNX67ENC       Z   J   $1,515.50  RT  60    S  12M   TWRF     N
 UA  ZNX96ERC       Z   J   $1,615.50  RT  90    S  12M   TWRF    900
 UA  ZNW67ENC       Z   J   $1,665.50  RT  60    S  12M  M    SU   N
 UA  ZNW96ERC       Z   J   $1,765.50  RT  90    S  12M  M    SU  900
 UA  ZNX61ERC       Z   J   $1,865.50  RT  60   10  12M   TWRF    900
 UA  ZNW61ERC       Z   J   $2,015.50  RT  60   10  12M  M    SU  900
 UA  ZNX67ERC       Z   J   $2,015.50  RT  60    7  12M   TWRF    900
 UA  ZNW67ERC       Z   J   $2,165.50  RT  60    7  12M  M    SU  900

UA  DNX86ERC       D   J   $3,378.00  RT  28    S  12M   TWRF    900
 UA  DNW86ERC       D   J   $3,478.00  RT  28    S  12M  M    SU  900
 UA  DNX46ERC       D   J   $3,527.00  RT  14    S  12M   TWRF    900
 UA  DNW46ERC       D   J   $3,627.00  RT  14    S  12M  M    SU  900
 UA  DNA86ERC       D   J   $3,728.00  RT  28    S  12M           900
 UA  DNA06ERC       D   J   $4,328.00  RT        S  12M           900
 UA  DNA40ERC       D   J   $4,328.00  RT  14  12h  12M           900
 UA  DNA00ERC       D   J   $4,603.00  RT      12h  12M           900
 UA  DNAG7ERC       D   J   $4,780.00  RT  30    7  12M           900
 UA  DNA26ERC       D   J   $5,188.00  RT  21    S  12M           900
 UA  CNX76ERC       C   J   $5,261.50  RT   7    S  12M   TWRF    900
 UA  CWX76ERC       C   J   $5,364.00  RT   7    S  12M  M    SU  900
 UA  CNA00ERC       C   J   $5,886.00  RT      12h  12M           900

UA  DNA20EFF       D   J   $4,888.00  RT  21  12h  12M            Y
 UA  CNA00EFF       C   J   $5,986.00  RT      12h  12M            Y
 UA  CNY00EFF       C   J   $7,603.00  OW                          Y

UA  JXR1           J   J   $7,352.50  RT                 -XJ-     Y
 UA  JWR1           J   J   $7,452.00  RT                 -WJ-     Y
 UA  JAR1           J   J   $7,702.50  RT                          Y
 UA  JX1            J   J   $9,645.00  OW                 -XJ-     Y
 UA  JW1            J   J   $9,645.00  OW                 -WJ-     Y
 UA  JA1            J   J   $9,895.00  OW                          Y
Always very clear where the market segmentation is here. OP wants no Saturday night on less than 14 days notice, so is basically getting 2/3 things that make airfare really expensive (the third is refundability).
Old May 14, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by qwicker
It's one of the considerations you agreed to keep in mind when you turned on Expert Mode:

The presence of a particular fare class does not mean that there is a fare associated with it. For example, we may offer availability in a discounted fare class, but that does not necessarily mean we have published a fare that corresponds to it. (emphasis in original)
Old May 17, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I know I have seen a thread on this but cannot work out the title. I am trying to book a P fare and it shows as available for both legs but does not come up as an option even when I search using P fare only - I mean it shows as a column but that nothing is available. I thought it may not be coming up due to booking as a round trip (and outbound will be in G) so tried booking as a one way and it still shows no availability in P although when you look at the details it is an available fare class and in fact has gone from P2 to P3 while I have been trying to buy the ticket. Very frustrating!

How do I access the fare class - googleflights?

TIA

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 17, 2019 at 5:38 pm Reason: moved to master thread
Old May 17, 2019, 5:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
... I am trying to book a P fare and it shows as available for both legs but does not come up as an option even when I search using P fare only - I mean it shows as a column but that nothing is available. ...
The probable cause is for your desired itinerary (origin, destination, dates) you are not meeting the fare rules for the P fare class -- this could be advance purchase, min stay, day of the week, overall routing, Saturday night stay, ....

To know for sure, you would need to find the published P fare for your O/D & dates and read the restrictions. To do this you need access to the entire set of fare rules, such as with EF or KVS or GDS access.

Note a different itinerary may meet the requirements and therefore may be bookable in P.Have the fare class inventory is a necessary but not sufficient condition for a booking.

This thread's wiki goes into this in more detail.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 17, 2019 at 5:44 pm Reason: how to find fare rules
Old May 17, 2019, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The probable cause is for your desired itinerary (origin, destination, dates) you are not meeting the fare rules for the P fare class -- this could be advance purchase, min stay, day of the week, overall routing, Saturday night stay, ....
Or there may not be a P fare offered for the route.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.