Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Common issue
Expert Mode shows ..... T9, L9, K9, G9, N9 but you not able to get united.com or other sites to provide a fare for N or G or .... WHY?

There are three requirements to be able to book a fare class
1) there needs to be a fare rule for that fare class for your O/D.
2) you need to meet all the requirements for the fare rule -- advance purchase, days of the week, min stay, qualified flight numbers, qualified routing (including a possible RT requirement), .....
3) there needs to be inventory in the fare class

So if the cheapest fare rule filed is K, you will not be able to book N or G
Even if a fare rule is filed and there is inventory then you still need to meet the fare rule requirements.

As for searching, if multiple fares qualify, the cheapest will be displayed unless you specifically force a fare class. While the fare hierarchy will generally match the cost, occasionally a high fare class will be cheaper than a lower fare class due to differences in fare flexibility such as refundable, changeability, ....

So there are multiple reasons for why a specific fare class is and not is offered. Confusion on this is one reason UA has been reluctant to make fare class inventory easily available and the reason UA requires one to accept the following terms before providing access to Expert Mode:
This is not a forecasting tool. Availability levels in certain fare classes should not be interpreted as indicating that we will make other fare classes available.

The presence of a particular fare class does not mean that there is a fare associated with it. For example, we may offer availability in a discounted fare class, but that does not necessarily mean we have published a fare that corresponds to it.
How can you see the fare rules?
While booking (on the first "Review trip itin" page) and after booking (on the online view of the reservation) , UA will makes them available -- but this is only if UA will display that particular fare.

Before booking or if unable to get access on UA, there are paid services -- KVS, Expert Flyer. ... can provide access to all published fare rules.

Related threads
Decoding the alphabet soup - New fare buckets for UA

How to get a P class fare to Europe?

Understanding Airline Inventory (non FT blog posting)

Desired Fare Class is available but has insufficient space, what can be done?

Archive: Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive]
Print Wikipost

Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leftysauce
nah i think they actually overrode it because the agent was on hold with a supervisor for a while and then I start getting no flights found on ITA matrix
I mean, I guess? But it seemed pretty widespread; broader than I'd expect a CSR supervisor to have authority to do.

Originally Posted by leftysauce
An actual question: what are the fare "levels"? like you said "4th level economy". Is it like the groupings YBM, EUH, QVW, STLK...?
I'm glad you asked, as you impelled me to learn a little bit more about them. Here's the rule in question:
Code:
   DOUBLE OPEN JAWS/MULTI-COMPONENT CIRCLE TRIPS NOT
   PERMITTED.
   APPLICABLE ADD-ON CONSTRUCTION IS ADDRESSED IN
   MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS - CATEGORY 23.
   MIRROR IMAGE NOT PERMITTED.
  END-ON-END
    END-ON-END COMBINATIONS NOT PERMITTED WITH DOMESTIC/
    INTERNATIONAL FARES FROM/TO VENEZUELA. VALIDATE ALL FARE
    COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.
  END-ON-END
    END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE
    COMPONENTS. ROUND TRIP EXCURSION FARES MAY NOT BE
    COMBINED END-ON-END WITH ANY ROUND TRIP FARE WHEN THESE
    FARES HAVE OVERLAPPING TRAVEL PERIODS AND ARE TO/FROM
    THE SAME CITIES OF ORIGIN AND DESTINATION AS A STOPOVER
    OR FARE BREAK POINT. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.
   PROVIDED -
     COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY 4TH LEVEL ECONOMY
     UNRESTRICTED-TYPE FARES FOR CARRIER UA.
  END-ON-END
    END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE
    COMPONENTS. IF THE FARE IS USED END-ON-END MUST BE AN A-
    B-A COMBINATION. ROUND TRIP EXCURSION FARES MAY NOT BE
    COMBINED END-ON-END WITH ANY ROUND TRIP FARE WHEN THESE
    FARES HAVE OVERLAPPING TRAVEL PERIODS AND ARE TO/FROM
    THE SAME CITIES OF ORIGIN AND DESTINATION AS A STOPOVER
    OR FARE BREAK POINT. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.
   PROVIDED -
     COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY RT INSTANT PURCHASE NONREF/
     ONE WAY INSTANT PURCHASE/ECONOMY RESTRICTED/ECONOMY
     UNRESTRICTED/REGULAR APEX-TYPE FARES FOR CARRIER UA IN
      ANY RULE IN TARIFF
      DFR     - WITHIN THE UNITED STATES
      FBRNAPV - WITHIN NORTH AMERICA EXCEPT MEXICO.
  OPEN JAWS
    FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
    -TO FORM SINGLE OPEN JAWS.
     A MAXIMUM OF 2 FARE COMPONENTS PERMITTED.
     MILEAGE OF THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE EQUAL/LESS THAN
     MILEAGE OF THE SHORTEST FLOWN FARE COMPONENT.
   PROVIDED -
     THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE
     WITHIN
      -WITHIN THE UNITED STATES
      ANY RULE IN TARIFF
  2-COMPONENT CIRCLE TRIPS
    FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
    -TO FORM 2-COMPONENT CIRCLE TRIPS.
   PROVIDED -
      ANY RULE IN TARIFF
 NOTE - THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME POINT-
        BWI-WAS  FLL-MIA  FLL-PBI  MIA-PBI  BUR-LAX  BUR-ONT
        BUR-SNA  LAX-ONT  LAX-SNA  ONT-SNA  OAK-SFO  OAK-SJC
        SFO-SJC  EWR-HVN  EWR-ISP  EWR-NYC  EWR-HPN  HVN-ISP
        HVN-NYC  HVN-HPN  ISP-NYC  ISP-HPN  NYC-HPN  EFD-HOU
        EFD-IAH  IAD-DCA  MDW-ORD  LGA-JFK
So, we start with MIRROR IMAGE NOT PERMITTED. That means that you're not allowed to combine this fare with itself in order to purchase a round-trip ticket. You have to use one of the other rules instead.

The first end-on-end combination rule just says you can't go to Venezuela, which wasn't on the table. The second one says that you can combine this, end-on-end, with any 4TH LEVEL ECONOMY UNRESTRICTED-TYPE FARES FOR CARRIER UA. The fare type is displayed in Expert Flyer; it's in the routing menu (the connect-the-dots icon, second of the three icons on the right). For example, KRU2AWER is FARE TYPE-ERS RT-2ND LEVEL ECONOMY RESTRICTED. However, the W fare that Matrix prices doesn't match this rule either; its fare type is FARE TYPE-SIP OW-INSTANT PURCHASE. I've clicked through quite a few, and I haven't found any that claim to be fourth level, but if K is second level, you'd think that fourth level might be T. But it says fourth level unrestricted, and unrestricted fares are way up toward the top of the fare ladder anyway, so... 🤷‍♂️

That leaves the last block -- you can combine this in an A-B-A pattern (meaning, with a LAS-CHI fare only) that is a RT INSTANT PURCHASE NONREF/ ONE WAY INSTANT PURCHASE/ECONOMY RESTRICTED/ECONOMY UNRESTRICTED/REGULAR APEX-TYPE FARES with tariff DFR. This, the W fare meets -- its tariff (also in that same display) is DFR/11 (it's after the RULE on the origin / destination line), and its type is OW-INSTANT PURCHASE.

OK, so now we know why we can combine these two, but why couldn't we combine it with, say, an L fare? The only thing the makes any sense is Ihat it's because the L fare -- LRA2AWER, to be exact -- is also a RT-2ND LEVEL ECONOMY RESTRICTED fare, and that's not in the list of allowable fare types. We could try a one-way L fare -- LAA2AWDN -- and it's a OW-2ND LEVEL OW INSTANT PURCHASE. That seems similar to ONE WAY INSTANT PURCHASE, but it appears that an exact match is required.

I'm not 100% sure of this analysis, mind you, but it's the only explanation I can come up with that matches the facts we've found thus far. I'm certain that the purpose of the fare is to combine with mid-level and above fares in lieu of BE. It's the mechanism that I'm only 90% sure of.
SPN Lifer and leftysauce like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The practical effect, as you note, is that -ER fares must be used in combination with -EN type fares, which are those published without a Basic Economy differential (differentialed regular Economy fares are -DN type). -ER fares are always published at the same level as -BN (Basic) fares, are always round trip, and must be combined with a type -EN fare.

They used to do this explicitly it the combination rules, which was messy because it is nowhere near as simple as -EN and -DN (there are lots of other 8th position characters to account for) so it looks like they have pushed it up to fare type. SIO is used for the -DN type fares which are not valid combinations, and they somewhat clumsily attempt to positively match every other type of fare. Note that this will not match First or Economy Plus (ZOA type differential-B) fares; I believe that once upon a time that a W-FN fare would qualify to return on an -ER fare, but it does not today.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and leftysauce like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:24 am

P class fare available, but not selectable for purchase

Apologies if this question has been previously answered. When researching business class fares from DEN to MEL with Expert Mode enabled P class fares are listed as being available, but the Z class fare is the only fare that can be selected for purchase - please see screen shot below. Any reason why the P class fare is not shown for purchase?
Thank you

Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cycletime
Apologies if this question has been previously answered. When researching business class fares from DEN to MEL with Expert Mode enabled P class fares are listed as being available, but the Z class fare is the only fare that can be selected for purchase - please see screen shot below. Any reason why the P class fare is not shown for purchase?
Because the fact that there is P inventory does not imply that there is a P fare. (This was in the disclaimer that you had to accept to activate Expert Mode in the first place. . Either no P fare is filed, or you don't meet the criteria for the P fare (advance purchase, min / max stay, day of week, etc.)
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There are P fares filed, but they are RT fares with minimum 7 day stay. They're not materially cheaper than the Z.

It's too early to be buying tix to travel in Nov. 2023.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Cycletime
Thank you

If you search for a one-way ticket, Z is your best J fare. You have to search for a roundtrip ticket to get P fares in J. I just tried it for your flights... it worked.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:55 pm

Thanks for the explanations. Didn't realize this thread existed
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I've never seen the inverse of this before. Seeing a lot of fares booking into classes that aren't showing up on expert mode. Any ideas?

Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Without actually looking critically at those prices, probably an instance of https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ing-pilot.html
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I've never seen the inverse of this before. Seeing a lot of fares booking into classes that aren't showing up on expert mode. Any ideas?
That looks like the Continuous Pricing Pilot that is discussed a bit in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ing-pilot.html
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Sykes
That looks like the Continuous Pricing Pilot that is discussed a bit in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ing-pilot.html
Interesting! Never would have found that thread..thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
As others have mentioned almost 100% chance it is giving a continuous priced fare. Which the fact expert mode is showing 0 for those fare buckets would also imply they fixed the glitch where expert mode would be misleading about the inventory allocations when a continuous priced fare was being offered (previously it was showing W# S# T#...G# on continuous priced fares where # was the amount of seats searched for).
SPN Lifer and MileTrek like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
We've got a flight booked into P that had a crazy schedule change after which UA let us pick better times/dates and rebooked us. The first segment departs very early and then there is a 5hr connection. After looking at availability immediately after the rebooking (I wasn't the one to call in) it seems there is a flight departing 2hrs later that has P inventory and only a 3hr connection. Agents seem unable to rebook us on that without a huge add-collect and it's unclear why. Could it be that when changing the first segment the entire ticket reprices at current rates? That's all can think f.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
We've got a flight booked into P that had a crazy schedule change after which UA let us pick better times/dates and rebooked us. The first segment departs very early and then there is a 5hr connection. After looking at availability immediately after the rebooking (I wasn't the one to call in) it seems there is a flight departing 2hrs later that has P inventory and only a 3hr connection. Agents seem unable to rebook us on that without a huge add-collect and it's unclear why. Could it be that when changing the first segment the entire ticket reprices at current rates? That's all can think f.
They're supposed to make the change as even exchange when it's due to schedule update, but seems like the agents you're getting don't know how to do anything other than straight change of the ticket. I've been having lots of difficulty getting appropriate schedule change accommodation in the past year. In this case, the fact it was rebooked once seems like a confounder, but in the past that wasn't usually an issue. But now many agents seem totally unaware of schedule change rules now, and it in my experience it usually takes >1 HUCA to get it fixed.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
If you make a voluntary change to the first segment, it will reprice the entire itinerary, yes. (Also, you need P space on the entire outbound itinerary; you can’t pick and choose individual connecting flights). The key, as fumje points out is to get UA to treat this as an involuntary change caused by a schedule change. I agree with HUCA.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and findark like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.