Wiki Posts
Search

Wine in the New United

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CM PP DL GM
Wine in the New United

I just got back from a BF trip to Lima and I was Thinking with all new improvements on the wine offerings in UC.
I think the wine selection in BF is not good compare to other carries , should UA change their wine offerings more often so people con try new options or they just improve Wine at UC because they can charge for it , its not like the price of C ticket should include better wine selection
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
UA had pretty good wines 10 years ago, but that was 10 years ago and I doubt we see it ever come back for a long time.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
UA had pretty good wines 10 years ago, but that was 10 years ago and I doubt we see it ever come back for a long time.
Continental also had good Wine pre merger they change their wine offering often , but some of the wines in domestic F are just not good. Because I live in central America I fly CM very often and their wine in C is much much better then domestic F in UA
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:08 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The C/BF wines are okay, though really still beneath what a lot of international carriers have in Y. Domestic F is plonk. I don't know why UA can't improve the wine offerings; it's not exactly a large cost compared to the fare to just have something drinkable.

This has been a problem for years, and IMHO was worse under PMCO than PMUA--but worse than either now.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
UA had good wines before the merger. Just one of the many casualties of the merger.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
UA had good wines before the merger. Just one of the many casualties of the merger.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11905453-post237.html

2009 UNITED BUSINESS menu

A fine Firestone (aka The Bachelor) chardonnay. Same $12 plonk we see today. No budget cut there.

On 3 class United planes Business class is getting more catering spend than it did pre-merger. You get 4 vs 3 main course choices, the salad and mains are larger, and you get a full custom sundae option (note the yearning for that in the linked post).

PMUA business catering was bottom of the barrel and came up ever so slightly in the process. Subsidizing that unfortunately led to cuts elsewhere.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I miss the old wine glass. Furthermore, I miss the fact that sUA Domestic glasses (comparable to AA, DL, and surely US) were taken away and placed in Global First only. Now we have such tiny glasses, its just more work for the FAs and the customer....seems so stupid.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:23 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Wines, just like the coffee served on board are terrible.

One would think that UA could at least serve the same coffee that's served in the UC (they have not yet deemed it "premium" yet and started charging for it.)
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer
Wines, just like the coffee served on board are terrible.

One would think that UA could at least serve the same coffee that's served in the UC (they have not yet deemed it "premium" yet and started charging for it.)
Actually the paid wine in p.s. is quite good.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Better Wines

They don't have to spend more just research and get better wines for their budget , I have a friend that worked with Lufthansa department that deals with wine and he told that they search for a good wine for each of their cabins , because they need a wine that is great for their budget and also taste good at 36000 feet.
United does not have spend a great more just make an effort and get better wines for their budget , show they care that is all
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
Domestic F is plonk. I don't know why UA can't improve the wine offerings; it's not exactly a large cost compared to the fare to just have something drinkable.
The problem for UA is that so much of F is full of people who haven't paid the fare for it - therefore the accountant says you need to cut the costs.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The problem for UA is that so much of F is full of people who haven't paid the fare for it - therefore the accountant says you need to cut the costs.
That is right but those premiers that got upgraded did give united money when they flew to get their status so I believe there is no excuse there because all airlines have some type of elite upgrade system and they still have a better wine selection
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11905453-post237.html

2009 UNITED BUSINESS menu

A fine Firestone (aka The Bachelor) chardonnay. Same $12 plonk we see today. No budget cut there.
You know he was a winemaker before he was the Bachelor, right? And really, he's not. He and his family just owned the winery. He manages the Paso Robles winery now, but does not make the wine. And the Firestone family no longer even owns Firestone Vineyards, and hasn't since 2007. Still, they do make some good wines. I've never had that chardonnay, and don't really like chardonnay anyway, so I can't comment on that one.

Their new winery, Curtis, is one of my favorites.

I don't know what people are looking for on their flights, but frankly I don't want really expensive wine in the air, just something drinkable. With my tastebuds not working fully, a really nice wine would just be a waste. Give me something that doesn't taste awful, and has alcohol, and I'm all set.

And really, most of us can't tell the difference, anyway. What UA should really start doing is getting cheap (but at least drinkable) wine and labeling it as something good. Most of us, especially with our tastebuds already diminished, would be perfectly happy.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777
They don't have to spend more just research and get better wines for their budget , I have a friend that worked with Lufthansa department that deals with wine and he told that they search for a good wine for each of their cabins , because they need a wine that is great for their budget and also taste good at 36000 feet.
United does not have spend a great more just make an effort and get better wines for their budget , show they care that is all
+1

I find the LH business class wines better than what is served on UA either in BF or GF. And I don't want to compare UA with the Asian *A airlines, it is even more depressing.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by penner42
You know he was a winemaker before he was the Bachelor, right? And really, he's not. He and his family just owned the winery. He manages the Paso Robles winery now, but does not make the wine. And the Firestone family no longer even owns Firestone Vineyards, and hasn't since 2007. Still, they do make some good wines. I've never had that chardonnay, and don't really like chardonnay anyway, so I can't comment on that one.

Their new winery, Curtis, is one of my favorites.

I don't know what people are looking for on their flights, but frankly I don't want really expensive wine in the air, just something drinkable. With my tastebuds not working fully, a really nice wine would just be a waste. Give me something that doesn't taste awful, and has alcohol, and I'm all set.

And really, most of us can't tell the difference, anyway. What UA should really start doing is getting cheap (but at least drinkable) wine and labeling it as something good. Most of us, especially with our tastebuds already diminished, would be perfectly happy.
Which explains why Delta does so well with the Meiomi. Unfortunately while it's free on Delta on United it's only for sale in coach. :-:

Just asking for something from the few dollars more category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.