Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Slimline seats reportedly coming to the 737 fleet in 2014 [confirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slimline seats reportedly coming to the 737 fleet in 2014 [confirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
Here is what I carry when I know I'm going to be sitting "back there" with no UG, or on long haul RJs (which I still hate unless they are E170/175/190). This makes the ride quite comfortable on the back section, plus raises your position in the seat, relieving the WN problem mentioned above.

http://www.tempurpedic.com/cushions/...eatcushion.asp

It's the best $89 I've ever spent. I'm sitting on it now, as a matter of fact. It also made my desk chair a lot more comfortable on those days that I'm not traveling.
Interesting. How packable is this? I might try one out.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
But once you have 75 people using the outlets, can the system handle that?
For a 10W iPad? Sure.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by edcho
Interesting. How packable is this? I might try one out.
[Not trying to be a shill for magellans but...]

This one is my favorites:

http://www.magellans.com/luxe-self-i...&istobe-type=0

Self inflating and when deflated it's quite thin. It can be rolled but I usually pack it flat since it fits into my backpack nicely that way.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:47 am
Suspended

Wow the armrests suck now too. Nice to put it up when traveling with a loved one, can lean on each other. Now they stick out no matter what.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:49 am

I am probably one of the few that typically enjoys the DTV system, mostly though when it is free in F (no free wifi in F). I doubt UA gets much revenue from people paying for it so I am hardly surprised.

With more seats I suspect UA will only cut more flights to keep the ship afloat.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I think in 5 years all airlines will be using this seat. This will become the standard in the airline business. I still have yet to try the UA Slim Seats, are they really worse than the current 737 seats?
Yes, they are. I think I'd rather be on an RJ than on an Airbus with these torture instruments.

Maybe that's the ultimate goal.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sogboulder
Yes, they are. I think I'd rather be on an RJ than on an Airbus with these torture instruments.

Maybe that's the ultimate goal.
As if they wont come to RJ's too.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
LH as the slim seats on its A321s. OK for short flights - but not padded enough for a transcon.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I had the new seats this week on an A320 from PHL-ORD, and i did not find them too bad. It gave the cabin a different look. The pouches in the back of the seat is a mesh type, but way too small. You could not put headphones in them.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive
Had a FA on my BOS to IAH flight tell me the rumor was DTV was going away.... this lends some credibility to that. I love DTV, it is way better than overhead or the IFE with just a couple of movies to choose from. As a sports fan, getting to see live events is great, I would much rather have DTV than the 14.4K baud internet they are gonna offer for 11.99.

Speaking of seats, why can't they raise them instead of lowering them, raising the seats 5-6" would add much needed legroom. Is there some safety issue having them higher, it isn't like anyone's head is anywhere near the roof.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sbm12
Then again, I was on the BA A380 and they have a quite comfortable version of the Recaro seat so it is possible to have such. It just costs/weighs more.
Which means United would never select it. Race to the bottom indeed.

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I had the new seats this week on an A320 from PHL-ORD, and i did not find them too bad. It gave the cabin a different look. The pouches in the back of the seat is a mesh type, but way too small. You could not put headphones in them.
The new seats might be fine on PHL-ORD, but not on a 5 hour transcon.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cova
LH as the slim seats on its A321s. OK for short flights - but not padded enough for a transcon.
It is a different kit on the same frame. They are not the same thing.
But once you have 75 people using the outlets, can the system handle that?
For PEDs, yes. For high-power laptops, no.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
I'm just curious - is it a race to the bottom only when UAL installs these seats? Or does it include other carriers?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Sulley
I'm just curious - is it a race to the bottom only when UAL installs these seats? Or does it include other carriers?
"Why am I grounded, Mommy? All the other kids were jumping off the bridge, too!"
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Has it been confirmed that DirecTV is doomed at UA when the contract is up? Anyone know when the contract expires? It's quite disappointing if true.. it's by far my favorite IFE for domestic flights. If the plan is to move to a bring your own device model and have everything streamed... I'd love it if DirecTV could still be an option on tablets or laptops (although I realize that may be impossible). I've paid for DTV every time I've flown in economy... and dare I say I'd even pay for it in first class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.