Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best way to book a flight on Swiss - on ual.com or swiss.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

I am a UA Gold (1MM). I want to book a flight ORD-ZRH on Swiss. The same flight is avail. as a code share on UA. Trying to decide if it makes any difference to book on UAL.com or swiss.com; i.e. can I select seats on the Swiss flight on ual.com?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
No, you can't select seats for Swiss-operated flights on united.com

If you book on United.com the flight will count for PQD, although since you're a MM, that doesn't matter for you.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I avoid code shares like the plague. If things go south, airlines tend to pass the buck.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
If you book the code share, you will still need the swiss flight confirmation number, and have to go to swiss.com to change seats etc. You will not be able to access seat assignments within your united reservation on united.com.

Im not sure if it applies to your situation or not, but if you are planning to use a star alliance mileage plus upgrade award, you need to book the flight as a Swiss flight number. Swiss, (as I learned the hard way) will deny the upgrade award outright if it is ticketed as a codeshare UA flight, even if it meets all the fare requirements (and even in my case if the fare was exactly the same price). It was not very clear in the rules on UA's web page - so keep that in mind if that's something you are looking at.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Echoing the other comments, unless you need the PQD, there is no good reason to book the flight as a codeshare. It will just complicate things.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by UAgeek71
If you book the code share, you will still need the swiss flight confirmation number, and have to go to swiss.com to change seats etc.
Having a ticket number is sufficient to do this.

Originally Posted by UAgeek71
Im not sure if it applies to your situation or not, but if you are planning to use a star alliance mileage plus upgrade award, you need to book the flight as a Swiss flight number. Swiss, (as I learned the hard way) will deny the upgrade award outright if it is ticketed as a codeshare UA flight, even if it meets all the fare requirements (and even in my case if the fare was exactly the same price).
This is true of all *A upgrade awards, not just those operated by LX.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
In my experience, it doesn't matter if I use the swiss locator or ticket number: I can't change seats on swiss.com

A quick call to a surly swiss agent has solved this every time though.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:29 am

Programs: UA 1K

I have found that swiss.com sometimes offers a fare cheaper than what's available on ITA or UA, but watch for the lower booking codes that don't earn miles.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:00 am
Original Poster

So, sounds like booking on swiss.com is the better way?
The airfare on Swiss shows up as "economy saver" (I believe one leg is K one is L). It shows up as only 50% "miles & more". Does this apply to Gold StarAlliance partners as well?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nikleb
So, sounds like booking on swiss.com is the better way?
The airfare on Swiss shows up as "economy saver" (I believe one leg is K one is L). It shows up as only 50% "miles & more". Does this apply to Gold StarAlliance partners as well?
According to this chart:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=297

neither K or L will earn you any miles.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by milepig
According to this chart:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=297

neither K or L will earn you any miles.
You will still earn PQD though if booked though .bomb, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.