FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1504613-old-classic-slogan-come-fly-friendly-skies-again-returns-new-united.html)

cblaisd Sep 19, 2013 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 21474204)
While FF's may not be happy with the program,

Some aren't, and some aren't happy with some of the changes (and some are happy with others of the changes -- like SDC. Far superior to PMUA practice).

But you're right, there are some FF'ers who aren't happy with anything about United and it's hard to know where to go with such wholesale animus.

I find FA's, pilots, and the experience a pretty friendly one. I think the slogan fits.
The morale, service, and attitudes of FAs, pilots, CSRs has dramatically increased in the last 6 months or so. It's usually a pleasure indeed flying with and dealing with these folks.

CO777DAL Sep 19, 2013 11:26 pm

United owes me a new keyboard. I just spit my drink out all over the place. I completely lost it at the end.

“Every thought, every movement, carefully planned coordinated and synchronized. Performing together with a single united purpose. That’s what makes the world leading airline flyer friendly. Fly the Friendly Skies.”

I can help but think of the recent changes to the United Club. If they consider that flyer friendly, God I would hate to see what they consider not. There has been nothing flyer friendly with the changes they have been making lately.

I like Matt Damon, but I really dislike him as the voice of United. It doesn’t sound right. I keep thinking of Bourn or that movie with the crooked cop in Boston. His voice just doesn't go with UA.

With all that said the commercial is still miles better than most of the recent commercials. If they can only make flying United like that commercial. :rolleyes:

tom911 Sep 19, 2013 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 21474304)
The morale, service, and attitudes of FAs, pilots, CSRs has dramatically increased in the last 6 months or so. It's usually a pleasure indeed flying with and dealing with these folks.

Aren't the pilots the only one with a new contract in place? If the flight attendants are happy now, they'll probably be even more happier and dancing in the aisles when they get a signed contract with their management coworkers.

Boghopper Sep 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772 (Post 21474099)
AFTER almost a 20-year hiatus, United Airlines is once again urging travelers to “fly the friendly skies.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/bu...ualcorporation

methinks she doth protest too much

Sulley Sep 19, 2013 11:38 pm

I love it! I'm thrilled.

Along with some other improvements that will be unveiled soon (;)), things are really starting to turn around.

As for Matt Damon, well... I would prefer Gene Hackman.

:)

dsquared37 Sep 19, 2013 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by CO777DAL (Post 21474331)

I like Matt Damon, but I really dislike him as the voice of United. It doesn’t sound right. I keep thinking of Bourn or that movie with the crooked cop in Boston. His voice just doesn't go with UA.

The Departed.

I will never separate his name from Team America.

channa Sep 19, 2013 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by CO777DAL (Post 21474331)
I can help but think of the recent changes to the United Club. If they consider that flyer friendly, God I would hate to see what they consider not. There has been nothing flyer friendly with the changes they have been making lately.

A big downside of the slogan is that it was (and again is) easily mocked.

ShikaSenbei Sep 19, 2013 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sulley (Post 21474364)
I love it! I'm thrilled.

Along with some other improvements that will be unveiled soon (;)), things are really starting to turn around.

As for Matt Damon, well... I would prefer Gene Hackman.

:)

How about Morgan Freeman?

LarkSFO Sep 20, 2013 12:00 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 21474396)
A big downside of the slogan is that it was (and again is) easily mocked.

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 21474304)
But you're right, there are some FF'ers who aren't happy with anything about United and it's hard to know where to go with such wholesale animus.

Doc Savage Sep 20, 2013 12:00 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 21474164)
Oh lord, are we going to have to listen to co-worker Jeff talk down to us about the "friendly skies" on the intro video?

Does UA not realize how infuriating those videos are? They have exactly opposite the effect intended.

/rant

zrs70 Sep 20, 2013 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 21474419)
Does UA not realize how infuriating those videos are? They have exactly opposite the effect intended.

/rant

I dunno. I like the videos. But I recognize I'm in the minority here!

I think people here are programmed to complain about anything now!

cblaisd Sep 20, 2013 12:07 am

I (almost alone apparently) like the videos and think they're interesting and well done

MatthewLAX Sep 20, 2013 12:09 am

I like the videos too and will withhold judgement about "the friendly skies" until we learn more about the campaign tomorrow.

FriendlySkies Sep 20, 2013 12:30 am

Regarding the video, I am pleased to see that they used a good version of Rhapsody, and not one of the stupid techno versions that we've heard since the merger..

W.r.t the actual slogan, I am not happy to see it back. The Friendly Skies slogan worked well with the old UA branding and the service standards that we expected from the real UA.. With today's CF of an airlines, I expect that it will just tarnish a classic slogan.

Curious to see if this actually helps UA improve their CS.. After the irrops I've dealt with today, and the rudeness I've gotten from various people at the "premier desk", they can't seem to sink any further..

tom911 Sep 20, 2013 12:53 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 21474487)
After the irrops I've dealt with today, and the rudeness I've gotten from various people at the "premier desk", they can't seem to sink any further..

Well, if they did, they can always go back to "United. Rising.".