Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Better award availability with United credit cards (as well as elites) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2024, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Better award availability with United credit cards (as well as elites)

While it had appeared to be true, it has been unclear for some time if the improved award available for MP branded credit cards was intentional or would continue -- however in May 2017, UA started posting in award searches for credit card holders
Quote:
Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Premier® member and MileagePlus Chase Cardmember
so this appears to be intentional
Appears to apply to all present and legacy MileagePlus branded cards
Provides better available is for JN, YN, XN (FN?) BUT not IN

Previous threads
Checking for award booking - something new? noting expanded inventory for elites & CC
Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.
Print Wikipost

Better award availability with United credit cards (as well as elites) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
I’m both 1K and UA card holder. If I cancel the card, I would assume nothing would change when it comes to award availability, right? Before recent card benefit change the only reason I keep this card is for very occasional award upgrade which I did get once for SFO-SEA leg to connect BR business. As for the two one time club vouchers, I just gave them to friends. I believe $95 annual fee may not worth for one short upgrade every few years.

Now due to the wifi 25% discount, I have changed my mind to keep this card. I can get one third of my annual fee back, HAHA!
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by tomwhom
I’m both 1K and UA card holder. If I cancel the card, I would assume nothing would change when it comes to award availability, right?
Correct.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UA
Question No Annual Fee Card?

The first reply in the thread asks about the no annual fee card; there was no answer. I'm curious about that too.

I currently have the old card ($140 annual fee / zone companion cert) and am planning on downgrading to either the Explorer or ideally the no annual fee card. The current card is worthless to me; though I've had it forever, not once was I able to use the cert due to terrible availability and the high price of the zones and I'm not travelling enough that the PQMs matter.

I do have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card and thus a good supply of United Points. Access to additional saver seats (XN) is important to me.

Can anyone confirm if the no annual fee card enjoys this benefit? The OP suggests that it does "Appears to apply to all present and legacy MileagePlus branded cards" but I've found mixed responses in my searches; some adamant it does, some that it does not. Of course I only trust FTers!

Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by brinko99
The first reply in the thread asks about the no annual fee card; there was no answer. I'm curious about that too.

I currently have the old card ($140 annual fee / zone companion cert) and am planning on downgrading to either the Explorer or ideally the no annual fee card. The current card is worthless to me; though I've had it forever, not once was I able to use the cert due to terrible availability and the high price of the zones and I'm not travelling enough that the PQMs matter.

I do have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card and thus a good supply of United Points. Access to additional saver seats (XN) is important to me.

Can anyone confirm if the no annual fee card enjoys this benefit? The OP suggests that it does "Appears to apply to all present and legacy MileagePlus branded cards" but I've found mixed responses in my searches; some adamant it does, some that it does not. Of course I only trust FTers!

Thanks.
My searches still say "Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Premier® member and MileagePlus Chase Cardmember" with the free card. Can't tell you you can actually book into XN solely on the strength of the card though.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
My searches still say "Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Premier® member and MileagePlus Chase Cardmember" with the free card. Can't tell you you can actually book into XN solely on the strength of the card though.
If as your profile states, you are an 1K, that;s what I would expect the system to say -- with or with a qualified card.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Better award availability with United credit cards (as well as elites)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 18, 2024 at 9:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.