Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long for on-board purchases to post?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
How long for on-board purchases to post?

Hello all,

On 9/7, I purchased a sandwich and some drinks aboard a flight, using my company credit card. It's now been almost two weeks and it still has not posted so I can't expense it.

I know that United uses the handheld devices for credit card swipes. Is it normal to take up to 2 weeks (or longer) for charges to post? Or is it possible that somehow I never got charged, even though I have a receipt showing a transaction number and the last 4 of my credit card?

Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
Yes, it's possible that the handheld device broke after the transaction and you won't get charged. The devices aren't hooked up "live" to anything. They just record the transactions and then the transactions are downloaded on the ground.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by CKinMD
Hello all,

On 9/7, I purchased a sandwich and some drinks aboard a flight, using my company credit card. It's now been almost two weeks and it still has not posted so I can't expense it.

I know that United uses the handheld devices for credit card swipes. Is it normal to take up to 2 weeks (or longer) for charges to post? Or is it possible that somehow I never got charged, even though I have a receipt showing a transaction number and the last 4 of my credit card?

Thanks!
In my experience, the charges show up eventually. I've had some post less than three days after the transaction, and others take two or three weeks. One on-board duty free purchase I made took three months to show up.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Usually just a few days but I've had ones that post 4 weeks or more (which makes expense reports a joy). It seems that there is at least some sort of manual process to get the data off the handheld units.

I suspect, once they have wi-fi systemwide, they will move to real-time authorizations and settlements (a la Delta).
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:50 am
RJ1

I can sometimes see my pending charges later in the same day that I fly. I have a Chase United Club card, so don't know if that matters or not. So, sometimes, they will post right away.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by CKinMD
Thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated!
I had a charge on my flight on 9/9/13. It showed on my account as transaction date: 9/13/13 and post date: 9/15/13.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.