Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lapchild fee not charged at booking - should UA honor booking? [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Lapchild fee not charged at booking - should UA honor booking? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bandana1948
I have no problem paying for tickets.

I DO have a problem being quoted a price for three pax, paying the price quoted, and then being asked for more.

It's really not that complicated.
But Everyone is telling you the fare for a lapchild is 10% of the reg fare in that cabin, which obviously you never paid. You yourself said you made a res for 3 people but only 2 tkts was issued. For whatever reason UA never charged you for the lapchild. What would you do if Russia is your destination and you never paid the $150 for the kids Visa, and say AC didnt let you fly but you told the consulate person there were 3 of you 2 adults and a baby. If all you paid was for 2 Visas thats all you will have, even if you gave in all 3 PPs. Until you pay the $150 for the 3rd Visa, #3 wont be allowed into Russia or even on the flight

If you want 3 people to fly you need 3 tkts, you only have 2 , its very simple.No one is asking you for a Penny more then you need to pay. You admitt you never paid for the 3rd tkt, so pay for it now and its over with.Instead you want the 3rd tkt for $0, its not gonna happen I can tell you that. Yes they should have charged you back when but they didnt! Its time to pay up if you want the kid to go along

fwiw I think everyone would agree with you if UA had issued a tkt for the kid and it had a $0 fare to it. But UA never issued any such tkt, so no leg to stand on imo

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I cannot believe the attitudes and assumed knowledge in this thread. I consider myself smart and informed on this stuff, but I would have made the same "mistake" - I would have just assumed that that's how lap infant bookings worked, because that's what the website gave me.
I hear this but if all I had was 2 tkts that were issued ,I would have called up and asked is this correct and my child doesnt need their own tkt. Im sure the OP got the kid their own PP why? How would a BP ever be issued w/o a tkt being issued?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 16, 2013 at 11:38 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I cannot believe the attitudes and assumed knowledge in this thread. I consider myself smart and informed on this stuff, but I would have made the same "mistake" - I would have just assumed that that's how lap infant bookings worked, because that's what the website gave me.
Sanity, at last!

There also appears to be some evidence (and I checked this myself now) that United.com is quite capable of pricing out award tickets for two adults and a revenue ticket for one lap child in the same booking.

Why it did not at the time I made the booking (and apparently I am at fault for not having the intellectual capacity to realize this was a mistake at the time I paid for it) is beyond me. Nor should I be penalized for it.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, AS
But you are not being penalized for it.
You are only being asked to pay for the infant's ticket.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travlynn
But you are not being penalized for it.
You are only being asked to pay for the infant's ticket.
If United.com priced our itinerary based on 2 adults and one lap child, and I agreed to that price and paid what was asked of me, how is it fair to ask me to pay extra after the fact? And that, too, only after I went digging.

Are you suggesting I should not trust United.com's quoted fares?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
Clearly indicated on the UA web site. See the section on ticketing.

http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...s/default.aspx

Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse. Just s ignorance of the law is not a way to get out of a ticket or arrest. OP needs to pay the money.

(Ignorance is not being used in a derogatory way, just that they are unaware)

Let me edit to add:OP, not trying to pile on. We are aware that at the time you were unaware of the fee and thought all was good. You have now been educated that you will not be getting out of paying the fee. The first clue would have been only 2 tickets. And yes, I understand you thought you did not need a ticket as that is the case within the USA. But now you know that that is not the case for international travel. So unfortunately you are going to have to pay the fee for the lap child.
OP I added more to my post above and quoted here that I hope helps you better understand. Without us seeing what UA sent you to help you decipher it about the lap child you will just have to go by the rules. And I mean the original confirmation.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:59 am
Suspended

If United.com priced our itinerary based on 2 adults and one lap child, and I agreed to that price and paid what was asked of me, how is it fair to ask me to pay extra after the fact? And that, too, only after I went digging.

Are you suggesting I should not trust United.com's quoted fares?
Ok my last try, you walk into say Best Buy and tell the guy you want 3 flat screen TVs he writes it down and tells you as hes getting them to go pay for them.You hand the cashier the slip and she ends up charging you for 2 even thou its clearly written 3.

The guy brings them to you and you show him you paid for them as you leave the alarm goes off and the guard checks everything and sees you were charged only for 2 TVs even thou the slip shows you asked for and were given 3. I guess according to the way you are thinking Best Buy has to give you that 3rd TV for free, since you asked for 3 and that was what was written on the paper you gave the cashier when you went to pay.

You ordered 3 TVs , 3 TVs was written down but in the end you were charged for only 2, do you really think BB is gonna say we messed up the 3rd is on the house. You asked for 3 , our sales person wrote down 3 but our cashier only charged you for 2,its out loss. they will apologize but you wont be leaving the store with TV #3 unless you hand over your CC again.Period

I guess you wont be flying anywhere if you really think UA is gonna eat this 1, hey if you can convince them to eat it all the power to you
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
OP I added more to my post above and quoted here that I hope helps you better understand. Without us seeing what UA sent you to help you decipher it about the lap child you will just have to go by the rules. And I mean the original confirmation.
Baze, thank you. I am not disputing that the infant needs a ticket, nor that it ought to have been paid for.

What I am disputing is this: that I made a booking for three pax (2 adults and one lap child), was provided a quote which I accepted and paid. I expect United.com to price tickets correctly and in keeping with their terms and conditions with which I am sure they are well-versed, certainly much more than folks like me who simply trust them to quote correct fares.

If United made a mistake in pricing, I cannot comprehend how I should be held responsible, regardless of the extent of my knowledge of fare rules.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
I'm still curious how the OP found award space LHR-SIN!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This reminds me of a thread a while back about UA refusing to allow a family to board a flight to Canada because the infant did not have a passport. I have the same view on this issue as I had on that one - it's up to the pax to find out what the rules are for traveling with an infant. I understand others will disagree with that view.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I'm still curious how the OP found award space LHR-SIN!
LHR-SIN segment is in Y.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
LHR-SIN segment is in Y.
Ah mystery solved! I was going to be more impressed by that than the rest of the debate!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
This reminds me of a thread a while back about UA refusing to allow a family to board a flight to Canada because the infant did not have a passport. I have the same view on this issue as I had on that one - it's up to the pax to find out what the rules are for traveling with an infant. I understand others will disagree with that view.
Find out from United? Heck, I did. It was United that priced out the itinerary. I had no reason at the time not to trust the information they displayed.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:32 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Baze, thank you. I am not disputing that the infant needs a ticket, nor that it ought to have been paid for.

What I am disputing is this: that I made a booking for three pax (2 adults and one lap child), was provided a quote which I accepted and paid. I expect United.com to price tickets correctly and in keeping with their terms and conditions with which I am sure they are well-versed, certainly much more than folks like me who simply trust them to quote correct fares.

If United made a mistake in pricing, I cannot comprehend how I should be held responsible, regardless of the extent of my knowledge of fare rules.
If you wanted to refund the whole thing with no penalty (especially since it's only been 3 days or so) then I'd say you might a valid argument against United and could probably argue for that. But in order to fly, you'll need to pay for the ticket - what other solutions are you looking for?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Find out from United? Heck, I did. It was United that priced out the itinerary.
No, unless I am missing something, you did not enquire about the need for an infant lap ticket, nor did you follow up when UA issued you only two tickets instead of the requisite three.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
No, unless I am missing something, you did not enquire about the need for an infant lap ticket, nor did you follow up when UA issued you only two tickets instead of the requisite three.
I can understand the mistake, they were under the false assumption the infant did not need a ticket. And that is the crux of the problem, it was a false assumption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.