Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award Availability: How does it vary by elite level?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Normal economy "saver" award inventory is X
All UA elites have access XN inventory for economy awards

Normal business / domestic first award "saver" inventory is I
1K / Plat have access to IN inventory
GS have access to PN inventory (and some ability to convert cash inventory space to award space)

PremiumPlus "saver" award inventory is RN
There is not additional inventory for elites
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award Availability: How does it vary by elite level?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: 1K MMiler, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PVDProf
Ah, now, see, I saw ON>O on some SYD flights today and tried to book them as awards. After some effort to book it, the agent reminded me that ON is not award inventory, but upgrade inventory now (more like R/RN than I/IN).

Alas.
Just out of interest what dates did you find ON SYD inventory?
Old May 14, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by rosesplus
Hi Roses...I managed to find R3 on Sept 23 SYD-SFO. Its now R1, ha ha.
Have been looking since Jan, have not found any R SFO/LAX-SYD in Sept.
We're waitlisted, in coach, on the outboud.

Better to get to Australia in coach, than not at all
Old May 14, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by rosesplus
7/5 SFO-SYD was ON6; 7/19 SYD-LAX was ON3 (both O0).

Send a drink back for me, would you?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:27 am

1K traveling to Australia next year with a friend. He's Silver. We have saver business already booked, but are attempting to change our return flight. The 1K desk says I can do this, but not my friend, because of his status.

To the people posting on page 1, there absolutely are instances of IN > I. Perhaps this is more recent, but we are being affected by it right now.

The call center said there is 0 saver business availability (I), but there is *9* saver business availability (IN). Very frustrating.

http://i.imgur.com/oYINVkH.png

How often does (I) open up as time goes on? This flight is 6 months out, and we would love to pay any change fees and return on a different day in the same fare class. Status is really screwing over my buddy here.

For the record, it's on a 787 and the entire BF cabin is empty, except for 2 seats. Yes - there are *46* BF seats open.

I'm conflicted, because while this is a benefit to high status FFs, it seems a little unreasonable that saver would be unavailable to anyone under Platinum status on a flight this empty.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by sheffy
1K traveling to Australia next year with a friend. He's Silver. We have saver business already booked, but are attempting to change our return flight. The 1K desk says I can do this, but not my friend, because of his status.

To the people posting on page 1, there absolutely are instances of IN > I. Perhaps this is more recent, but we are being affected by it right now.

The call center said there is 0 saver business availability (I), but there is *9* saver business availability (IN). Very frustrating.

How often does (I) open up as time goes on? This flight is 6 months out, and we would love to pay any change fees and return on a different day in the same fare class. Status is really screwing over my buddy here.

For the record, it's on a 787 and the entire BF cabin is empty, except for 2 seats. Yes - there are *46* BF seats open.

I'm conflicted, because while this is a benefit to high status FFs, it seems a little unreasonable that saver would be unavailable to anyone under Platinum status on a flight this empty.
Status dependent award availability, especially for FC intl travel, is a logical next devaluation in FF programs. With the trouble UA is going to protect 1K status level with PQD, I speculate that 1K will enjoy better access than those below.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Status dependent award availability, especially for FC intl travel, is a logical next devaluation in FF programs. With the trouble UA is going to protect 1K status level with PQD, I speculate that 1K will enjoy better access than those below.
You have mentioned this a lot, but I just don't see it happening. United is WAY too interested in selling miles to Chase et al to put up barriers like that.

If United is willing to open up award availability, why would United care who is redeeming. Are they suddenly becoming elite friendly? That would be a first since the merger...
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sheffy

That is fascinating. I have never seen such a large discrepancy between IN and I. It is usually only one seat.

You can score one of those IN seats for your friend by booking with your miles.

I am btw all in favor of this. Nice to see UA giving some benefits to its own elites vs. those who acquire miles through Chase or other credit cards.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Trying to follow this -- are you guys saying there is no longer better saver availability for elites?
I just put some random dates in for LAX-MEL.
Feb 9, 25 + Mar 2 avl in Saver BF, but not when I sign out.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
You have mentioned this a lot, but I just don't see it happening. United is WAY too interested in selling miles to Chase et al to put up barriers like that.

If United is willing to open up award availability, why would United care who is redeeming. Are they suddenly becoming elite friendly? That would be a first since the merger...
People are foolish enough to buy SkyDongs with hard cash, so no danger there.

We are seeing status dependent award availability here, and even more on DL.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:28 am

And today - exactly 6 months prior to departure - IN for this flight has changed from 9 to 0, with 44 BF seats still available. How unbelievably frustrating.

I wonder if this is coincidence, or if saver award availability plummets at the 6 month mark. Regardless, I now question whether we will even be able to change to this flight like we wanted to.

I probably should have just sucked it up and spent my own miles for my friend's return flight.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Club Plat
Angry I've always booked early

But seems as though it is now impossible.
I'm 1K, looking for ATL to LHR in Business or First.
I have a trip planned for late September to early October 2015.
Where the October flights are not available yet (too early) I wanted to check on my outbound leg. Not a single saver award unless you want to fly on that crappy AC 777 (voted best concrete seats).
Using the calendar I kept backing up, went all the way to April and still nothing. When I look at the seat maps (I checked several dates) I see NO seats taken in business or first.
Freaking amazing!
Thanks Smisek! Really doing a great job!
Who else could take a airline from first to worse.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
That is fascinating. I have never seen such a large discrepancy between IN and I. It is usually only one seat.

I am btw all in favor of this. Nice to see UA giving some benefits to its own elites vs. those who acquire miles through Chase or other credit cards.
Found one that actually shows an elite benefit:

BQN-EWR November 16 shows IN6 I0.

So it appears that UA is starting to open up the IN spigot just slightly and in this case status makes a real difference.

I tried fake bookings while both logged in and logged out and the status difference causes a real change in saver Biz class availability.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by ng_iint
But seems as though it is now impossible.
I'm 1K, looking for ATL to LHR in Business or First.
I have a trip planned for late September to early October 2015.
Where the October flights are not available yet (too early) I wanted to check on my outbound leg. Not a single saver award unless you want to fly on that crappy AC 777 (voted best concrete seats).
Using the calendar I kept backing up, went all the way to April and still nothing. When I look at the seat maps (I checked several dates) I see NO seats taken in business or first.
Freaking amazing!
Thanks Smisek! Really doing a great job!
Who else could take a airline from first to worse.
I think this is a strategy that will be followed by all airlines. Advance (330 day ) booking in FC will end. You can get award travel in economy well in advance, UG not FC, except for perhaps top tier.

MR for miles to get FC travel will end. MR for econom travel will survive.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: StarAlliance Gold, 1K, Marriott Platinum
For me personally, I have found that <21 days before travel more award inventory opens up (when you have to start paying service fees)
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee

+1.

I've been a 1K for twelve years now. Per the new rules, I, and my company, have spent the $10k+ to keep my 1K status for 2015. My loyalty has been abused so many times in the last few years that I am starting to feel foolish for giving it to United. Some meaningful changes in 1K perks would make me feel a lot better about the decisions and concessions I'm making every time I book a business or personal trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.