Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by tlawrence85
'Direct' flights are not the same as non-stop flights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight

"A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop over at an intermediate point."
Non-Stop -- A flight between two airports with no stops / no other airport involved.

Direct flight -- a flight booked as a flight between two airports BUT will involve a scheduled connection (landing/departure) at another airport. The same plane may or may not be used for each segment of the flight. {On UA, generally does not involve the same aircraft and may use a different type of airplane}

Why done
  • So that the direct flight shows as a competitive option vs non-stops in third party online booking sites.
  • Conservation of flight numbers, due to shortage of 4-digit flight numbers, this allows for more flights without using more flight numbers

For UA, mileage credit is the same for a non-stop and a direct flight. You "lose" out of the extra flight miles.
With the change from credit being based on fare and not flight miles, there is no difference in earning method from direct flight vs non-stop
On PQFs, each segment counts as 1 PQF -- this is a change from how PQS was done
Possible resolution is to see if the direct flight can be split into the separate flight segments -- some times this is possible, other times it is not.

There can be seat assignment issues on direct flights especially if aircraft type is different.
Upgrades will not clear on direct flights in advance unless upgrade space is available on both flights. Gate upgrades will process based on the individual flights.

Related thread
Direct Flight Seat Selection Bug?

Selecting Seats/Upgrade Issues on Second Leg of "Direct" Flight Itinerary

Solution for seat assignment missing on direct flight

Upgrade Individual Flights on direct flight
Print Wikipost

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe

I dont believe SDC at SFO would work if it’s ticketed as a through flight with a stop (as opposed to ‘split’ as suggested upthread). It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these on UA, but believe at least they used to be done on one coupon, so SDC’ing at the stop wouldn’t work. Now you could probably find an agent to do it, but I’d guess it’s a bit of work and not all are willing to do it, and could very well require ‘HUCA’ so to speak to get it done.
That's a good point. It's possible for an agent to make the change, but it may require IRROPS. And you might end up with a little extra bonus when the flights credit (or, at least, I was -- but it was credited to MP). I don't recall if the app will let you do it or not (there's another thread on direct flights as well. .

OP: BTW, the reason that it was more expensive to split the legs was that YYJ-YYC-EWR and YYJ-SFO-EWR are both valid routings, but YYJ-YYC-SFO-EWR is not.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:39 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan

OP: The flights will credit according to the rules of your program. UA has little to do with it. If you were crediting to MileagePlus, it would be counted as the nonstop YYC-EWR distance, but another program may do it differently.
Yup, back when I used to regularly fly DFW-SFO-Asia would have a heck of a time with DFW-SFO-NRT as single flight number, and the 737 obviously not making the SFO-NRT flight

Then it changed to SFO-NRT-BKK and/or SIN before UA dropped the flights, obviously making earning miles more challenging. I was able to split the segments a couple of times when requesting an u/g, claiming married segment would make u/g harder to clear, other times I was not allowed to split.

And will say, I too would rather fly (and do if givne the choice) YYJ-YYC than YYJ-SFO to avoid the flying Devil's chariot torture chamber and fly AC's pre-reclined prop. If YYJ-YVR is available as starting segment, it's a no brainer @:-)
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sokolov
.....I am very surprised to see such thing.......
Call it a scam or not but there won't be this thread, and many others, if this connection-appears-to-be-direct was made clear at booking.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
Call it a scam or not but there won't be this thread, and many others, if this connection-appears-to-be-direct was made clear at booking.
While I agree with you in general, in this particular thread, the OP wasn't misled about the connection point -- there was just a question about getting mileage credit for the full distance.

PS: It technically is direct, which is the root of the issue. It's direct with a stop and change of gauge. Direct and nonstop are not synonyms.

Last edited by jsloan; Apr 23, 2018 at 10:30 am Reason: Nonstop vs. direct
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:23 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK

Even veteran fliers get confused with nonstop v. direct flights.

Back to OP, way back when CO started to fly EWR-PEK, there was a thread in PMCO forum about single flight number getting LESS miles than EWR-PEK due to the "lucky" 888 flight number on CO888 BOS-PEK with a gauge change at EWR.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Deceptive

If you leave it as is you may or may not get the miles as flown. Safer to split it if you can get a good agent. Explain that it's a direct flight (somehow agents can't see that in the new system) and ask them to force split.

Even I accidentally booked one earlier this year! You really can't tell based on the website (this is actually 2 flights, not 3). Direct flights are already deceptive enough without further obfuscating them!

Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
If you leave it as is you may or may not get the miles as flown. Safer to split it if you can get a good agent. Explain that it's a direct flight (somehow agents can't see that in the new system) and ask them to force split.

Even I accidentally booked one earlier this year! You really can't tell based on the website (this is actually 2 flights, not 3). Direct flights are already deceptive enough without further obfuscating them!
Sorry, but what you've shown here is exactly how direct flights need to be displayed to the user. Your flight is stopping twice. (It'll also show you the correct number of PQMs -- which may not be the number you'd like -- if you look at the details). Sure, you might prefer that they call out the fact that there's no change of flight number, but the average traveler is much more concerned about the number of times they need to stop.

The deceptive part comes about when direct flights appear higher than connecting flights in search results, or when some OTAs don't call out the extra stop this prominently. A buddy of mine had to get his parents from SGN to JFK. He booked them on PR via MNL, because he didn't think his parents would want more than a single stop. MNL-JFK has a technical stop at YVR, which he completely missed because it was so non-obvious in the search results. (Happy ending: the parents apparently loved the chance to walk around the plane and stretch their legs in YVR for an hour, so it all worked out). That's deceptive. This isn't.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Sorry, but what you've shown here is exactly how direct flights need to be displayed to the user. Your flight is stopping twice. (It'll also show you the correct number of PQMs -- which may not be the number you'd like -- if you look at the details). Sure, you might prefer that they call out the fact that there's no change of flight number, but the average traveler is much more concerned about the number of times they need to stop.

The deceptive part comes about when direct flights appear higher than connecting flights in search results, or when some OTAs don't call out the extra stop this prominently. A buddy of mine had to get his parents from SGN to JFK. He booked them on PR via MNL, because he didn't think his parents would want more than a single stop. MNL-JFK has a technical stop at YVR, which he completely missed because it was so non-obvious in the search results. (Happy ending: the parents apparently loved the chance to walk around the plane and stretch their legs in YVR for an hour, so it all worked out). That's deceptive. This isn't.
Ha! I suppose the show all stops method is deceptive to frequent flyers who care about EQM/S. It makes it pretty hard to detect direct flights. And the consolidated method is deceptive to kettles, who care about stops and often overlook pesky notes like "time on ground xxx/change of gauge".

Of the 2 methods, I think mine is clearly the hardest to spot. But I agree it benefts kettles to spell it out. Too bad they can't do both. E.g. Maybe shade in the all stops method to show the direct.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
K fares on UA earn (at best) 50% on other FFP, so reduce 50%+ from the actual flying distance.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; BR Gold
PQM Earnings Discrepancy on BR (Eva) = 1K Shortage

Hi FT Community,

I'm concerned about a PQM discrepancy about my routing as the difference will leave me short of 1K as I was planning on United crediting the actual PQM flown. The flight numbers are the same, so how is the PQM earnings different?

BR75: TPE > BKK > AMS, when booked directly, United is showing PQM to only be 5,890 miles.

When booked as individual segments, United is showing:

BR75: TPE > BKK: 1563 miles
BR75: BKK> AMS: 5709 miles
Total: 7272 miles

This difference of 1382 miles is the make or break for me to get to 1K without doing an upfare/mileage run/SDC.

Is this normal? Or is this an error in the PQM calculation from United on a BR partner flight?

Thanks,
SL

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 2, 2018 at 10:35 pm Reason: merged into consolidated thread
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It’s being sold as a “direct” or “thru” flight TPE-AMS, so mileage is TPE-AMS point-to-point. You’ll have to see if you can ticket it as segments, but price might be different.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:18 pm

If you bought BR75 as TPE-AMS without a stopover in BKK, you will be credited with 5890 PQM. If you have a stopover in BKK the system will count it as two separate flights and you will get PQM for TPE-BKK and BKK-AMS. This is the rule for flights with the same flight number and not an error.
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Direct flights, flights with a single flight number but with 2 or more segments, credit as if it was one non-stop.
So a AAA-CCC direct flight with a stop at BBB, credit as an AAA-CCC flight.
If you book this AAA-BBB then BBB-CCC you will get the sum of the two segments

Yes, it is a bummer, But it is about how you buy the flight

This normal UA policy -- However, not all airlines do this, so for a partner flight it can go either way. It is up to the partner to decide how to post.

Probably best to ask on the Eva/BR forum which approach BR takes.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I flew BR a few months ago on LHR-BKK-TPE and received the lower PQM because it is a through flight and I was booked onto a single flight segment.

I am not complete sure but I believe there is a price differential between booking as separate segments vs one flight.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
This is normal, as this seems to be a direct flight with a stop, and that’s how MP credits in that situation. Booking as TPE-AMS will get you direct mileage, essentially ignoring the actusl routing via BKK. Breaking it up into the two segments books each separately, and so lists the point to point mileage, but as you can tell, it’s also priced a bit higher.

I do believe you should get the mileage separately if you book it separately, though possibly will connect them at booking to do it point to point. Also note any requirements at BKK for deplaning, etc. have no idea how it works there, but very possible you could be forced to disembark at BKK and go through the connection procedure (Security, etc.) before re-boarding if you book separately. Possible you may need to do this if booking directly as well - some airlines/airports make you do this anyway (SQ at ICN, HKG, etc.), just don’t know about BKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.