Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by tlawrence85
'Direct' flights are not the same as non-stop flights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight

"A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop over at an intermediate point."
Non-Stop -- A flight between two airports with no stops / no other airport involved.

Direct flight -- a flight booked as a flight between two airports BUT will involve a scheduled connection (landing/departure) at another airport. The same plane may or may not be used for each segment of the flight. {On UA, generally does not involve the same aircraft and may use a different type of airplane}

Why done
  • So that the direct flight shows as a competitive option vs non-stops in third party online booking sites.
  • Conservation of flight numbers, due to shortage of 4-digit flight numbers, this allows for more flights without using more flight numbers

For UA, mileage credit is the same for a non-stop and a direct flight. You "lose" out of the extra flight miles.
With the change from credit being based on fare and not flight miles, there is no difference in earning method from direct flight vs non-stop
On PQFs, each segment counts as 1 PQF -- this is a change from how PQS was done
Possible resolution is to see if the direct flight can be split into the separate flight segments -- some times this is possible, other times it is not.

There can be seat assignment issues on direct flights especially if aircraft type is different.
Upgrades will not clear on direct flights in advance unless upgrade space is available on both flights. Gate upgrades will process based on the individual flights.

Related thread
Direct Flight Seat Selection Bug?

Selecting Seats/Upgrade Issues on Second Leg of "Direct" Flight Itinerary

Solution for seat assignment missing on direct flight

Upgrade Individual Flights on direct flight
Print Wikipost

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Madone59
Yes, you get off the plane, it's not like WN.
Not always. Sometimes on UX they have let me stay.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:55 pm

The departure boards at the airports faithfully tell you about the "direct" flight. So, for example, you can be at a place like Miami and see a flight to a place like Orlando. By way of Newark of course.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by uthornsgo
+1. And if you can't book as two separate flights call and have the reservation line split them up after you book. Helps with upgrade priority too.
I've heard this is supposed to work, but the two times I tried they said no-can-do.

And to another poster's point, be aware that on the arrival/departure boards it may say the originating/final destination city and not the connecting - like land in MIA and it says inbound from DSM, even tho you got on that plane at ORD.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by dorisrpas
Book as multicity routing. I recently did this and price was the same, got credit for 2 segments instead of 1
I have three instances with direct flights.

1. Booked a direct flight. Learned after the fact, that mileage wouldn't post for each segment. Called UA, they credited me with the additional miles and PQM I was supposed to earn. This nice agent even advised me to avoid those directs.
2. Booked a direct flight, but as two separate segments. Worked like a charm. (It actually was the same a/c and crew SAT-DEN-LAS)
3. Booked a direct flight, with two separate segments. Flight posted as one direct segment. Called UA expecting them to fix it, and they said I flew a direct, and that's how direct flights post - origin to destination. Didn't matter how it was ticketed. 1K voice email backed what she said.

Sigh....
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by dorisrpas
I've heard this is supposed to work, but the two times I tried they said no-can-do.

And to another poster's point, be aware that on the arrival/departure boards it may say the originating/final destination city and not the connecting - like land in MIA and it says inbound from DSM, even tho you got on that plane at ORD.
Call back and try again. It's always worked for me. Just tell them you want to do it for upgrade purposes if they ask.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
DSM did have non stop DSM-LAX service on a CR7 once....I think it lasted about 3 months.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by JC5280
3. Booked a direct flight, with two separate segments. Flight posted as one direct segment. Called UA expecting them to fix it, and they said I flew a direct, and that's how direct flights post - origin to destination. Didn't matter how it was ticketed. 1K voice email backed what she said.
I find this highly unconscionable! Miles have always posted on a per segment basis for through-fares, multicity, etc. The fact that UA IT sucks should not preclude you from getting the BIS/award miles you're entitled to.

With that being said, this glitch can work to your advantage by allowing 3 segments when the fare rules stipulate one connection. E.g. SAN-SFO-EWR-BOS is a valid routing with one flight covering SAN-SFO-EWR and one covering EWR-BOS. I've never had a problem with the per segment mileage posting automatically.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by CObigtimefan
I feel so stupid.

I've never booked a UA "direct"... Do you get off the plane?
UA is no different in this regard than any other airline.

Some direct flights with stops require change of aircraft, others do not. Sometimes even when there is no scheduled change of aircraft, there is a last minute change of aircraft. Generally if it is the same aircraft, then one can remain on board during the stop, unless it is a quite lengthy stop.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
What I find ridiculous is that it now takes less time to get from DSM than CLE a (former) hub in same time zone!

Thanks United!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:27 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kit125
What I find ridiculous is that it now takes less time to get from DSM than CLE a (former) hub in same time zone!

Thanks United!
Could be worse; the gutting of UA's south Florida service is making me have to do an overnight at either PBI or FLL to get to the Bahamas later this year (haven't booked the ticket yet, but there's no way from WAS to MHH same-day because of the lack of options to the MIA area).

I hate to fly an airline on which I presently have no status, but I suspect AA is going to be the best option...
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: 1K
Another data point -- I just flew XXX-XXX-SAT on a direct flight on 2/20 and it automatically posted as two separate segments. I would have been quite peeved to learn that only one segment posted.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I find this highly unconscionable! Miles have always posted on a per segment basis for through-fares, multicity, etc. The fact that UA IT sucks should not preclude you from getting the BIS/award miles you're entitled to.

With that being said, this glitch can work to your advantage by allowing 3 segments when the fare rules stipulate one connection. E.g. SAN-SFO-EWR-BOS is a valid routing with one flight covering SAN-SFO-EWR and one covering EWR-BOS. I've never had a problem with the per segment mileage posting automatically.
Another obtuse fact: UA is (erroneously??) failing to collect the PFC for the hidden connection. E.g. SAN-SFO-DFW-DEN-SAN fee is only $13.50 since the outbound segments are both UA526. SFO is getting screwed.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Connection/Stop

Curious if you guys know the difference between a connection and a stop, let me lay this out for ya.

SJU-IAD-ORD-SEA (with a stop in SFO) I wasn't offered a non-stop ORD-SEA when I bought the ticket and it was cheap, so I was okay with making a stop.

Get to ORD, find that there's a direct/non-stop ORD-SEA scheduled to depart at the exact same time, but it's now 1 hour late, which would still get me to SEA earlier. So I went up and asked the customer service desk. She said the flight I spoke of didn't exist, I gave her the number and all the info the board showed, suddenly she found it...didn't give me much confidence in her. She said it was sold out, it was a Monday so whatever, fine. I asked again at the UA club because like I said I wasn't confident in her at the customer service desk, the lounge agent confirmed it was sold out, had no problem finding the flight though. No biggie, I'll take my lumps, you get what you pay for

I had to pick 2 different seats on the website and it did indicate an aircraft change, but that didn't really make sense to me, so I chalked it up as an IT issue.

Arrived at SFO, thinking I'll be getting off the plane, hang out at the gate and get back on. WRONG. I check the departures board (because I'm a nerd, even if I'm not departing I look) and found that my SFO-SEA flight was now an hour delayed and was at a different terminal.

This isn't a stop. CLEARLY this is a connection in my eyes. A flight with 1 stop should make it's stop and here's the key...RESUME! Unless that aircraft goes mechanical at it's stop, which it didn't. Frustrated, I asked the lounge agent in SFO this question. She said "well your flight has the same number, that's why it's a stop" to which I replied "yea, but I'm not stopping I'm making a clear connection as evident by switching aircrafts and terminals". She said "I don't know what to say, it's just something they do".

Thanks, very helpful.

So I did some digging on UA.com because I know they provide pretty decent info.

UA 1496 Apr 20 ORD-SFO-SEA...so for the SFO-SEA leg, I clicked "where is this aircraft coming from". LGA!? ...?!! Then why the hell is the ORD-SFO-SEA marketed as ORD-SEA, it actually makes sense if they called LGA-SFO-SEA 1496. That's a 1 stop flight. In a 1 stop, a delay doesn't matter because you'll be getting on the same flight. WestJet was notorious for these, 398 used to go YVR-YYC-YYZ-YHZ-YYG (I think that was the back end) and we'd usually have like 1-2 bags that were milk running the whole day to cross the country, but at least then a delay didn't matter.

I'm not really mad about the mileage, I don't lose much, I'm not mad about the segments, I got 6 already from this trip and I'll make my requirements for the year. What grinds my gears is the dishonesty of the marketing. It also seems totally illogical. Why not just tell me I'm making a connection? What does UA lose? Plus then you could've marketed the true LGA-SFO-SEA as a 1 stop flight honestly.

I've never had this issue at UA, have you guys? Is it normal? Is there any line between a connection and stop then? Because as far as I'm concerned they crossed it as soon as they made me switch aircrafts not due to a mechanical issue.

Last edited by drvannostren; Apr 26, 2015 at 1:03 pm
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by drvannostren
....Is there any line between a connection and stop then? Because as far as I'm concerned they crossed it as soon as they made me switch aircrafts not due to a mechanical issue.
Not sure which issue you are asking about, but

On a domestic flight a 4 hour break between arrival and departure creates a stopover vs a connection. This creates a fare break.

Also if a flight is booked as a single flight (AAA-BBB) but including a intermediate airport AAA-XXX-BBB that is called a direct flight with a stop -- versus the true non-stop AAA-BBB. Note there is no requirement that the arrival and departing aircraft need to be the same physical aircraft. But if you book it as two separate flights and under the 4-hour break, that is called a connection.

The direct flight is bit of an old fashion concept (it was done to get the flight listed with non-stops on search tools but that rarely works anymore) but due to a shortage of flight numbers UA has had to resort to having these direct flight listings.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 26, 2015 at 12:54 pm Reason: typo, spelling
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Is it normal?
Yes.

"Stop" means that you continue on the same flight number, even if it's a different plane/crew/etc.

"Connection" means you change flight number, even if it's the same plane/crew/etc.

It's been discussed as length in multiple threads here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.