Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Heads Up: CR7 Configuration and Seatmap Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:09 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

As some of you may have heard, over the next few months we’re reconfiguring the cabins of our entire United Express CRJ-700 fleet. United First will continue to have six seats (yes, with similar pitch and recline), Economy Plus will move from 32 to 16 seats, and United Economy will increase from 28 to 48 seats, such that total capacity will increase to 70, from the current 66. This is the same configuration as our Embraer 170s, and the same in Economy Plus/Economy as our forthcoming Embraer 175s.

As part of this process, we’re renumbering (and in some cases “re-lettering”) the rows across all of these aircraft, not only to accommodate the change in capacity, but also to standardize the seat map configurations across operating carriers (SkyWest, GoJet and Mesa).

If you’re booked on a CRJ-700 operating on or after September 25, here’s what you need to know:
  • Starting this weekend, united.com will display a new seat map for all SkyWest and GoJet CRJ-700 flights. To minimize the impact of last-minute aircraft changes, it will display Rows 4 – 7 of Economy Plus as “blocked”. In other words, we’ll show the same number of Economy Plus seats available, whether or not the flight is eventually operated by a new configuration aircraft. Changes to Mesa CRJ-700 seat maps will happen at a later date.
  • Already booked in rows 4-7 on one of these flights? We’ll do our best to automatically re-accommodate you into a similar seat in Economy Plus.
  • The seat map will be updated closer to the day of departure, when we assign a specific aircraft to the flight. If the aircraft hasn’t been reconfigured, Economy Plus rows 4-7 will open up for selection.
The seat map updates are rolling out as we speak, so please pardon any dust you see over the next day or two :-). Over the next few days, we’ll also send emails to customers advising them to check seat assignments before departure. However I wanted you to have consolidated information here, as well.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines

Last edited by UA Insider; Sep 7, 2013 at 10:28 am Reason: Corrected United Economy current capacity
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:14 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thanks for the heads up. Will row 12AB/CD still be the exit row?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Thanks for the heads up. Will row 12AB/CD still be the exit row?
Hi cblaisd, Row 18 will be the exit row. And in case you're superstitious, in the future there won't be a Row 13 in future CR7s, either.

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Will there be any change in Row 3 seats or seat assignments?
Will Row 3 continue to have the same leg space?

(have a couple of 3B seats over the next few months)
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:00 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi cblaisd, Row 18 will be the exit row. And in case you're superstitious, in the future there won't be a Row 13 in future CR7s, either.

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Thanks. I have several Skywest CR7 flights booked in the coming couple of months with 12B or 12C. Will those exit row aisle assignments automatically move into the new seat numbers for exit rows? (As of a moment ago, my seat maps continued to show 12B or 12C as my seats and row 12 as the exit row).
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Losing 16 E+ seats is a bummer, obviously, but it's still better than DL, where there are only 8 Economy Comfort seats (and also 6 FC seats)...
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Will there be any change in Row 3 seats or seat assignments?
Will Row 3 continue to have the same leg space?

(have a couple of 3B seats over the next few months)
Hi WineCountryUA, if you're currently in Row 3, the seat map we're uploading this weekend won't result in any change to your seat assignment or "seat attribute"--that is, whether you end up on a reconfigured aircraft or a current one, you'll remain in the bulkhead seat. The only noticeable change here is that when the final seat map is uploaded within a few days of departure, if you are on a newly-reconfigured aircraft your seat assignment will change from Row 3 (which no longer exists) to Row 7 (which is the new E+ bulkhead). The same is true for folks currently in the exit row (currently 12, future 18).

It's important to note again that the seat map we're uploading this weekend is really an "interim" one, meant to minimize disruption to the Economy Plus cabin once we determine the actual aircraft to be used for the flight within a few days of departure. At that time, the final seat map will appear.

Still, speaking more to the actual configuration for a moment, here's what the new seat numbering will look like:

Current Configuration Rows --> New Configuration Rows
United First: 1-2 --> 1-2
Economy Plus: 3 bulkhead, 9-11, 12 exit row --> 7 bulkhead, 8-9, 18 exit row
United Economy: 10-11, 13-18 --> 10-12, 14-17, 19-23

My understanding is that seat pitch remains the same for all Economy Plus rows, at 34".

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm wondering why the exit row isn't 20 or 21 to keep consistent with the mainline fleet? On some aircraft there's already large gaps between the last E+ row and the exit row (20), so the CR7s could have done the same. No big deal, just wondering.

Thanks for the heads up. Luckily my CR7 flights are next week so before the changes are made.

-RM
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Thanks. I have several Skywest CR7 flights booked in the coming couple of months with 12B or 12C. Will those exit row aisle assignments automatically move into the new seat numbers for exit rows? (As of a moment ago, my seat maps continued to show 12B or 12C as my seats and row 12 as the exit row).
In the interim seat map, they will remain as row 12, but if your flight ends up being a new-configuration CR7, your exit row seat assignment will move automatically to row 18.

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
United First will continue to have six seats (yes, with similar pitch and recline), Economy Plus will move from 32 to 16 seats, and United Economy will increase from 32 to 48 seats, such that total capacity will increase to 70, from the current 66.
That doesn't add up.

Existing config per above: 6+32+32=70, which is not right.

Does the existing config only have 28 E+? Or the existing config has 28 E-?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If United wanted to make a change I would like, you would get rid of all CRJ200 and 700 planes from your fleet. I have no objection to EMB170 or 175 except the lack of a proper galley and channel 9.

If getting rid of the CRJ's is not an option, please put a forward lavatory in them like many other airlines do. CRJ700 already has among if not the worst ratio of passengers to lav's of your fleet. And the aisle is blocked for much of the seat belt off portion of a flight by the cart. This change will not improve lav access.

Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
That doesn't add up.

Existing config per above: 6+32+32=70, which is not right.

Does the existing config only have 28 E+? Or the existing config has 28 E-?
Good catch :-). I mis-typed the existing config for United Economy. It should be 28. I'll update the original post.

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Good catch :-). I mis-typed the existing config for United Economy. It should be 28.
I'm thinking it's because there is no row 13 already?

If it was really 10,11 and 13-18 that would be 32. But the (existing) map says no row 13: http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...0/default.aspx

ETA: or the other one, which has 13 but not 18:
http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...rj/700/v2.aspx

Last edited by FortFun; Sep 7, 2013 at 10:36 am
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:33 am

In the interim seat map, they will remain as row 12, but if your flight ends up being a new-configuration CR7, your exit row seat assignment will move automatically to row 18.
Since there is no "like" or "thanks" button, I'll just have to say: Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FortFun
I'm thinking it's because there is no row 13 already?

If it was really 10,11 and 13-18 that would be 32. But the (existing) map says no row 13: http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...0/default.aspx
The configuration actually varies by operating carrier--SkyWest and GoJet currently have a row 13 but no row 18, while Mesa has no row 13 but does have a row 18. (I wrote 13-18 above to encompass both).

In the future, each configuration will be consistent--making things easier for all involved!

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.