Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
related thread - Minimum latest time to cancel (cash) UA ticket for credit?

You want to cancel before you are marked as a "no show."
You can be marked as a non-show at T-15 minutes (domestic) and T-30 minutes (international) and earlier a handful of airports (T-60). This will certainty happen when the flight is "closed" which can be soon afterwards. Note this assumes you have checked in. Check-in deadline is 30-45 minutes domestic and 60 minutes international, again there are a few even earlier exceptions.

If the first segment is a partner segment, check on their "no show" times. UA does state you need 24 hours to change a partner ticket but that does not apply to cancellations.

Award tickets can be redeposited even after departure but there is $125 no-show fee (no exceptions for any elites)

Archive thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...? {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2023, 7:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
If I cancel an award ticket for a booking within the continental US are the miles redeposited without a fee? Is there a time before flight you need to cancel.

The wording is a little confusing- One sentence says redeposit fees will apply.
When you select "Cancel flight," you will have the option to cancel your award reservation and redeposit the miles (redeposit fees will apply), or to cancel your award reservation and use those miles for another trip in the future.
Thank You
Old May 23, 2023, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holocker
If I cancel an award ticket for a booking within the continental US are the miles redeposited without a fee? Is there a time before flight you need to cancel.
There’s no fee as long as you cancel prior to being marked a no-show. Generally, an hour in advance of your flight will be fine.

Originally Posted by holocker
The wording is a little confusing- One sentence says redeposit fees will apply.
When you select "Cancel flight," you will have the option to cancel your award reservation and redeposit the miles (redeposit fees will apply), or to cancel your award reservation and use those miles for another trip in the future.
Thank You
Outdated wording. If you were to click through, you’d find that there’s no fee.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 11:34 am

United "no show" policy timing?

I have an award flight using miles for an international itinerary on UA metal. I won't know if I can make the trip until right before departure. Does anyone know how close I can cancel to departure time in order to get my miles redeposited without being charged the $125 "no show" award redeposit fee? Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2023, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOBayFlyer
I have an award flight using miles for an international itinerary on UA metal. I won't know if I can make the trip until right before departure. Does anyone know how close I can cancel to departure time in order to get my miles redeposited without being charged the $125 "no show" award redeposit fee? Thanks!
You'll have trouble cancelling once the flight goes to gate control, about one hour before.

I would give it ninety minutes to be sure.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 11:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFOBayFlyer
Does anyone know how close I can cancel to departure time in order to get my miles redeposited without being charged the $125 "no show" award redeposit fee? ...
While cancellable until the agent closes the flight, an hour before should work (if you don;t have any communication issues).
SFOBayFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While cancellable until the agent closes the flight . . . .
Yeah, I've definitely canceled (more than once) well inside 60 minutes. The key is you have to check-in. Once you've done that, they shouldn't mark the no-show until inside the boarding cut-off, which is normally 30 minutes for international and 15 minutes for domestic.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:45 pm

Programs: Continental
Cancelling mileage ticket

Now that I have been culled from the ranks of the almighty 1K's, and I'm only a MM Gold, how late can I cancel a mileage ticket without some type of penalty?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Now that I have been culled from the ranks of the almighty 1K's, and I'm only a MM Gold, how late can I cancel a mileage ticket without some type of penalty?
Looks like no penalty up until departure:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html
Old Feb 14, 2024, 1:33 pm

Programs: Continental
Thanks
drewguy likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Status has not made a difference for a couple of years.
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold
If I book an Awards flight on the day of the flight and the flight is at 9pm, I assume I will get everything refunded and redeposited if I cancel before noon, is that correct? Just checking.
(I read there's a charge for a no-show but I couldn't find anything about how late you can cancel)

Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by rbakker
If I book an Awards flight on the day of the flight and the flight is at 9pm, I assume I will get everything refunded and redeposited if I cancel before noon, is that correct? Just checking.
(I read there's a charge for a no-show but I couldn't find anything about how late you can cancel) ...
While you can cancel before the flight closes, it is safety to do at least an hour before scheduled departure -- in case you need to call to cancel.
SPN Lifer and rbakker like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.