Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread Refund for Paid Upgrade? {Archive}

It depends but is unlikely for an upgrade fee to be refundable
1) An paid upgrade fee (the most likely case), as quoted in the T&Cs, the fee is not refundable on voluntary change, however, a few have reported some success in getting to re-use the fee toward another upgrade fee or an ETC.

2) If the upgrade was by an up-fare (less likely, especially nowadays), this changes the underlying ticket to the new fare class and this is really a ticket change
a) to a non-refundable fare (most likely in this situation), in this case, both the original fare and the new fare difference, is non-refundable
b) to a refundable fare (highly unlikely) and if the original fare was refundable, the original fare and the new fare difference are refundable

Print Wikipost

Refund for Paid Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
Refund for Paid Upgrade?

I have a paid upgrade (from R to P) on an international flight next month that I will have to cancel because of the coronavirus pandemic. Will I receive a refund for the cost of the upgrade? Or an ETC? The flight is one of the few UA flights still operating.

Last edited by Wombat1; Apr 9, 2020 at 1:08 pm Reason: Add more information
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Wombat1
Will I receive a refund for the cost of the upgrade? Or an ETC? The flight is one of the few UA flights still operating.
Wombat1, I believe as long as the UA flight is still operating if you cancel you will not receive a refund. If United cancels the flight or rebooks you to an unsuitable schedule that would be a different story. Sorry, such is luck!

SAP
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have a paid upgrade (from R to P) on an international flight next month that I will have to cancel because of the coronavirus pandemic. Will I receive a refund for the cost of the upgrade? Or an ETC? The flight is one of the few UA flights still operating.
It depends on the nature of the upgrade, most cash upgrades done online or at check-in are non-refundable fees
T&Cs state
Upgrades are nonrefundable, except when a flight is involuntarily canceled, your itinerary is involuntarily changed to a different flightor the flight is oversold and we cannot accommodate you in a premium cabin on a later flight. In these situations, United will refund the purchase price of the unused upgrade.
a few upgrades done on the phone (mainly) are upfares and become part of the fare and will be treated the same as the rest of the fare.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
Just my luck that this flight is still operating! I'll just wait and see if it gets cancelled as that seems to be my best option at this point. Many thanks for the responses.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:41 pm
RNE

I'll just wait and see if it gets cancelled as that seems to be my best option at this point.
Good. Hang in there.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
This is my experience posted in the COVID Schedule Change / Refund thread:

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
2... I book a trip in economy on the 10th March 2020 for $900 for a trip in June and upgrade 1 of the 4 legs after purchase to business for $189 (the offer after booking, which books into P). I then cancel this trip. How much in future flight credit do I now have?
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Ok, bit of a trip report here and an answer to the above.

United proactively called me today (no status with United directly, but *G)...

Finally, for a trip in June mentioned in the quote above, she was able to cancel the upgrade on the 1st leg and refund that $189 to my card. She then cancelled the entire trip and was then able to use the future flight credit to move the flights to the day I then wanted. All work out well here
The trip in June was not cancelled or anything like that. I had just wanted to move the dates by 1, but only wanted to if the P upgrade was refundable (either ETC or cash would have been fine with me). It was an S fare originally

It took less than 48 hours to hit my Amex
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
What worked for me at this point at least a couple of weeks ago - perhaps try this online.

Change the flight to a date in the future with the upgraded legs in economy - before confirming the change, it clearly listed the upgrade fee to be refunded to original payment - and I got an etc for the fare difference.

I took a screenshot and indeed, the upgrade fee was refunded to my credit card within a day.

It is something you can try online - and if you don't see the refund, don't follow thru.....
perkele likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 6:54 am
RNE

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It is something you can try online - and if you don't see the refund, don't follow thru.....
What I see when I try it online is the word credit, not refund.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:56 am

Suggest you call and ask on this one. In Early March, after the first flexible cancellation option was offered by UA (cancel and rebook without penalty in 12 months), I had no problem getting a paid domestic F upgrade refunded even though the flight was still scheduled, with the base fare being held by UA and later converted to an ETC. In late March, after the European restrictions were announced, I had a nonstop cancelled and an involuntary re-route. I was unable to get the paid upgrade refunded, or even converted to a credit. Two days ago, after the DOT slapped UA, I called back and received a refund on the paid upgrade with my base fare being converted into an ETC. I think if you call them and tell them you can't make the trip, are happy to have the base fare turned into an ETC but would like a refund on the upgrade as you don't know whether you'll be able to apply it on whatever future trip you book, there's a chance they process it as a refund. If not, keep your reservation and hope they change your schedule, then call and try again.
RNE likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
I know there have been a couple posts about upgrade fee refunds, so I'll add my experience.

I had a domestic reservation returning home EWR-DEN for my wife and I booked for 3/29. Paid upgrade to first (polaris seats, not that it matters). Trip was to see nephews who go to college in NJ, and they'd already been sent home way ahead of that so we just cancelled for future credit. Cancelling flights was voluntary at that point and was/am satisfied with getting the future credit under the waiver in place at the time I cancelled.

I did on online refund request for the upgrade fees only on 3/30. It sat as pending for a while, but popped up as approved yesterday on the status page. I also got an email notification and the refund hit my CC overnight.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:17 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
I have a flight scheduled for the end of May (TPA-PHL) for a wedding. As you might imagine they have now moved the wedding to the fall. I am not having a problem changing the ticket but I had previously purchased a F upgrade which isn't being carried over nor is the value being applied. I assume I have to change the flight and then request a refund for the upgrade, but I can do so before the scheduled flight takes place (I can request it now)?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 28, 2020 at 4:37 pm Reason: Moved to an existing thread
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by st3
I have a flight scheduled for the end of May (TPA-PHL) for a wedding. As you might imagine they have now moved the wedding to the fall. I am not having a problem changing the ticket but I had previously purchased a F upgrade which isn't being carried over nor is the value being applied. I assume I have to change the flight and then request a refund for the upgrade, but I can do so before the scheduled flight takes place (I can request it now)?
Sounds like you paid an upgrade fee which is NON-refundable on voluntary changes. Sometimes if you call to change the booking, the agent will pull it forward. Online it will not.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:21 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sounds like you paid an upgrade fee which is NON-refundable on voluntary changes. Sometimes if you call to change the booking, the agent will pull it forward. Online it will not.
They already moved me to an earlier flight for the one I am going to cancel (5 hours earlier) so I will call and see what they can do.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I just processed a cancellation for October flights to Kona that I had booked in January and got the airfare credited to a Travel Certificate. The rep told me that the $631 in seat fee upgrades that I had paid separate from the original transaction will get credited to the original form of payment in about 21 days.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Just got an ETC for a flight to Europe this week that was booked several months ago. The value of the ETC is the value of the original ticket price but excludes the $1,200 ancillary purchase to upgrade one of the segments to C. Is that money lost? Any experience with this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.