Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bump from United to another Star Alliance Flight?

Old Aug 31, 13, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I'm flying today to FRA, in Business First, with my wife, and we just received a message from United asking us to call them. They said that the flight was overbooked, and were looking for people with flexible schedules. They couldn't find anything else for today, however, in Business together, so I declined the offer.

I then saw online that there are two Lufthansa First Class tickets still available for later today. Will United bump people onto a Lufthansa flight? Is it worth it to call and ask?

Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 13, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by habsben View Post
Hi all,

I'm flying today to FRA, in Business First, with my wife, and we just received a message from United asking us to call them. They said that the flight was overbooked, and were looking for people with flexible schedules. They couldn't find anything else for today, however, in Business together, so I declined the offer.

I then saw online that there are two Lufthansa First Class tickets still available for later today. Will United bump people onto a Lufthansa flight? Is it worth it to call and ask?

Thanks!
You can always try, won't do any harm.
Old Aug 31, 13, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Platinum, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Hi all,

Thanks!
They can bump people to Lufthansa, or non Star Alliance carriers as well, a few things to consider, your UA status, are you on paid or mileage tickets, and are you willing to take a connection, maybe with some compensation. Lastly where are you flying from and what is your final destination tomorrow.
Btw, they can move people up to first class on Lufthansa if they are desperate enough. Do you research and call them back with options.
Old Aug 31, 13, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks - these are two United award tickets. Original flight has a connection, but there is a flight six hours later tonight which is direct, with at least two seats open still (so it would actually be more convenient).

No United status at all.
Old Aug 31, 13, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Platinum, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks - these are two United award tickets. Original flight has a connection, but there is a flight six hours later tonight which is direct, with at least two seats open still (so it would actually be more convenient).

No United status at all.
In your case, I would get to the airport early, you are a prime candidate to be downgraded.
Old Aug 31, 13, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip - will do so!

Just called United, and they said that they can't find the space.

Also, flying ORD to FRA (original flight has a connection in LHR). We do have some flexibility as to when we leave today, although we'd like to be there by late tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by habsben; Aug 31, 13 at 9:23 am
Old Aug 31, 13, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
You can always try again, maybe another agent finds it.
Old Aug 31, 13, 9:28 am

Thanks for the tip - will do so!

Also, flying ORD to FRA (original flight has a connection in LHR). We do have some flexibility as to when we leave today, although we'd like to be there by late tomorrow afternoon.
Just to clarify then, it's the ORD-LHR leg that's oversold.
Old Aug 31, 13, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Yes, I believe so. They also told me on the phone that it was mainly in coach, not business/first that it was oversold.
Old Aug 31, 13, 9:48 am

Yes, I believe so. They also told me on the phone that it was mainly in coach, not business/first that it was oversold.
Got it,
Well, there is room on LOT thought Warsaw, on their 787 flight, also on air Canada through Toronto.

Give them a call back.
Old Aug 31, 13, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Is it award space on LH F or is it just F space?

Before wasting your time on another call to UA, what is it that they are offering you if you take the reroute?

Search this Thread