Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT-HKG service discontinued after 26 Oct 2013.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT-HKG service discontinued after 26 Oct 2013.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by deltaflyer08
Well considering UA is going to start SFO-TPE with a 777 next year as well as SFO-CTU with a 787 I don't think any long haul planes can operate intra Asia flights.
When they announced SFO-TPE without any other flights from TPE, I was wondering if the plane just idles and the crew times out until the return flight the next day. With the flights and turnaround time being longer than 12 hours, aren't these planes just sitting around for the better part of a day? The planes could certainly do a few shorter intra-Asia legs before crossing the ocean again, just seems like the economics don't pan out.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by wwu123
When they announced SFO-TPE without any other flights from TPE, I was wondering if the plane just idles and the crew times out until the return flight the next day. With the flights and turnaround time being longer than 12 hours, aren't these planes just sitting around for the better part of a day? The planes could certainly do a few shorter intra-Asia legs before crossing the ocean again, just seems like the economics don't pan out.
i.e. to MNL mto compete with PR/5J/KL
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
ORD is tougher than SFO. I haven't seen ORD with R all year.
I easily cleared ORD - HKG in February. But it was still 747 then.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
i.e. to MNL mto compete with PR/5J/KL
Yup, gotta chase that high yielding TPE - MNL market that already has four carriers on it...
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
yup, gotta chase that high yielding tpe - mnl market that already has four carriers on it...
PR, 5J, CI, BR, KL.
There are many OFWs in Taiwan and Taiwan allows visa free entry for Filipinos.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: Free agent!
PR, 5J, CI, BR, KL.
There are many OFWs in Taiwan and Taiwan allows visa free entry for Filipinos.
KL doesn't count since they have no traffic rights between TPE & MNL. Still don't understand why it would be a good idea for UA to send in a widebody to compete with an additional four airlines on the route.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
KL doesn't count since they have no traffic rights between TPE & MNL. Still don't understand why it would be a good idea for UA to send in a widebody to compete with an additional four airlines on the route.
Maybe the other 4 are there because it is profitable?
There would also be thru pax from the US, making it more profitable.
Don't US and Taiwan have open skies, making this possible?
PR does well with flights from the US, too.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Maybe the other 4 are there because it is profitable?
There would also be thru pax from the US, making it more profitable.
Don't US and Taiwan have open skies, making this possible?
PR does well with flights from the US, too.
Not sure its highly profitable, probally marginal. UA would have offer lower fares, and with one LCC flying they would be hard pressed to make a profit at LLC fares. After the Taiwan-Phillipines problems earlier this year and just this past week (kidnapping and killing of Taiwanese tourist) traffic has been lower.

UA has such a big plane, not many routes to tag on without CI/BR flying on it, or LLC. Lots of new LCC flying to Taiwan recently.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA G
Flying TPE-XXX isn't UA's core competency - it never has been. Their core competencies are a.) domestic US flying and b.) International flying ex-US. They've had a tough time with both of these these last two years; trying to expand their core competency to non-US International routes right now seems like a bad idea.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
UA tried daily TPE-SEL, TPE-BKK and TPE-MNL in addition to TPE-NRT while trying to make TPE a focus city in early 90s, and failed miserably.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
UA tried daily TPE-SEL, TPE-BKK and TPE-MNL in addition to TPE-NRT while trying to make TPE a focus city in early 90s, and failed miserably.
Were these legacy Pan Am routes or something UA did on its own initiative?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
This sucks because the previously difficult to upgrade SFO-HKG flight is now damn near impossible. Even E+ was gone on a flight I booked a month in advance.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by unavaca
Flying TPE-XXX isn't UA's core competency - it never has been. Their core competencies are a.) domestic US flying and b.) International flying ex-US. They've had a tough time with both of these these last two years; trying to expand their core competency to non-US International routes right now seems like a bad idea.
I would agree that expanding non-US international routes isn't a good idea. But why give up the ones you have? I have always found NRT-BKK and NRT-SIN to be near impossible to UG, while on NRT-ORD, NRT-SEA, and NRT-IAD, I almost always was able to UG - so there must have been healthy front cabin demand for the SIN and BKK flights.

My guess is that the beancounters figured the overhead was too much for a single NRT-BKK flight, and given the push to cut costs in order to make Wall Street happy, BKK is the casualty.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by unavaca
Not sure I agree. Don't know TPE at all, but in the Japan market prior to the mergers, both DL and UA had pretty solid intra-Asia businesses. They both had very competent management in Tokyo, they tailored their sales and marketing to the local market, and they had pretty decent customers bases including Japanese business travelers, ex-pats, Japanese individual leisure travelers, and the travel companies/tour operators.

There were always the xenophobes who insisted on JL/NH, but a lot of Japanese friends, colleagues and associates thought UA/DL had pretty good products and FF programs. I never hear that anymore.

IMHO, both UA and DL have become very provincial in their approach to international business so it's not so surprising to see their decline and withdrawal from Asian markets.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by RJNYC
Were these legacy Pan Am routes or something UA did on its own initiative?
IIRC, it was UA. Pan Am did fly to Taipei but did not use Taipei as transfer point for other Asian destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.