Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT-HKG service discontinued after 26 Oct 2013.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT-HKG service discontinued after 26 Oct 2013.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Now the question is, would you sacrifice 1800 LT BIS UA miles each way to secure the BF seat through NRT, or pay the gambling W fare game ex-SFO, ORD, and EWR? I would go for the former approach, still. SFO-HKG is very difficult to clear, way worse than ORD-HKG and EWR-HKG.
ORD is tougher than SFO. I haven't seen ORD with R all year.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
ORD is tougher than SFO. I haven't seen ORD with R all year.
It's getting worse once UA 895 is switched from 747 to 777.

I would avoid ORD-HKG at all cost.

I think EWR-HKG is the easiest.

Last month my friend who is Gold cleared SFO-HKG on a Sunday.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nova08
UA's Asia network is not shrinking, UA's need to route through NRT on their own metal is. Either they overfly NRT or they rely on ANA to provide connections.
I don't know whether UA's *A and JV partners are shrinking or expanding. I do know that UA's Asia network is shrinking. After UA dropped PEK/TPE/HKG routes, people can't get on UA metal to those places without starting from USA.

And what are the consequences to customers?

Originally Posted by Ghery
I rode ANA from NRT to TPE, back to NRT and then to BKK last year. I thought legroom was bad on LH until this trip. It took a month before my knees quit hurting from the abuse of being jammed into the seat in front of me. ANA is on my DO NOT FLY list, regardless of what our company bean counters might say. They really won't like the medical bills that would likely accrue from riding them again. It will be interesting to see how I get routed from SEA to Hong Kong next year.
1. There are no E+ seats. Just look at what Ghery had to endure.

2. Nothing counts toward MM lifetime status.

3. Can't use GPU on partners' routes.

4. UA has had technical difficulties from time to time selling UA and NH flights on the same ticket.

5. A greatly inflated intra-Asia award chart now that all flights to those cities must involve *A partners.
Example: from south Asia to north Asia, one-way saver award
Before the recent MP devaluation (x1,000 mi.) 15 / 22.5 / 32.5
After the recent MP devaluation, using *A (x1,000 mi.) 20 / 40 / 50
Mileage increase = 33% / 78% / 54%

(Had UA kept its own metal on those routes, the mileage increase would have been 33% / 56% / 38%)
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
UA's Asia network is not shrinking, UA's need to route through NRT on their own metal is. Either they overfly NRT or they rely on ANA to provide connections.
But NRT-HKG has been packed (at least in Y) every time I've flown it. UA is maintaining or increasing trans-Pacific services to NRT (they added DEN this year). And I don't believe ANA is adding more NRT-HKG service, although I could be wrong about that.

As someone who likes to stop by TYO on every trip to HKG, it'll probably become more and more difficult. May have to make separate trips originating from US, as Neil35 says.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by evergrn
But NRT-HKG has been packed (at least in Y) every time I've flown it. UA is maintaining or increasing trans-Pacific services to NRT (they added DEN this year). And I don't believe ANA is adding more NRT-HKG service, although I could be wrong about that.

As someone who likes to stop by TYO on every trip to HKG, it'll probably become more and more difficult. May have to make separate trips originating from US, as Neil35 says.
Do fare rules allow for free stopovers?
(I'm looking at one K fare HKG-YVR that does not...)
Old Nov 16, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Do fare rules allow for free stopovers?
(I'm looking at one K fare HKG-YVR that does not...)
Take a look at some other fares...

My wife and I did a BWI-HKG fare two years ago and we did: BWI-ORD-NRT // HND-HKG with the stopover in Tokyo.

However, that was on a W fare with the ORD-NRT in C on a SWU; But if you want the stopover, you might still be able to get it cheaper using a different fare than a K fare and adding in a one-way from TYO-HKG.

-jeremy
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Exclamation UA to remove "regional" 777s from Narita Hub

According to this summary, the global UA asian strategy appears now more clearly, and this is for sure a bad news for all asian based UA frequent flyers..
They want to remove most of the 777 still used for intra asia/oceania flights from the Tokyo hub (and replace them with 737/8) so that these 777s might be used for new TATL - TAPC routes…
This is highlighted in this thread reporting that the 777s currently used for NRT to ICN are being replaced by some of the former Air Mike 737s (being freed up by the reduction/closure of asian lines such as NRT-HKG..)

So, beyond NRT to ICN, one should expect to have even more 777s disappearing from the existing routes with mixed 777/738 services such as NRT-GUM and NRT–HNL, HNL-GUM, etc….
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Eddy421
So, beyond NRT to ICN, one should expect to have even more 777s disappearing from the existing routes with mixed 777/738 services such as NRT-GUM and NRT–HNL, HNL-GUM, etc….
I don't know what you're reading but your conclusion is apparently wrong.

NRT-GUM is a huge tourist market. They're not going to shrink the 777s for no reasons. NRT-HNL and HNL-GUM are just about the same, and physically cannot be handled by 738s. And most likely not NRT-SIN either.

ICN-NRT is the last shrinkable route.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
ok. anyone know the best way for a gs to contact nh to do a match? it's been a long run, but it looks as if it's over. thanks jeff.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
And most likely not NRT-SIN either.
Definitely not NRT-SIN, unless people want to swim the last couple hundred miles or so. JFK-SIN is longer than BOS-LHR.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
I don't know what you're reading but your conclusion is apparently wrong.

NRT-GUM is a huge tourist market. They're not going to shrink the 777s for no reasons. NRT-HNL and HNL-GUM are just about the same, and physically cannot be handled by 738s. And most likely not NRT-SIN either.

ICN-NRT is the last shrinkable route.
There's a 738 flying HNL-GUM of course it makes quite a few stops on the way I'm assuming the island hopper is safe?
Cheers
Howie
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Definitely not NRT-SIN, unless people want to swim the last couple hundred miles or so. JFK-SIN is longer than BOS-LHR.
There are no nonstop flights JFK-SIN?
(the direct one has an even longer TATL plus another Area 2-Area 3 flt, so of course, even if one doesn't have a map on them.)
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA,DL
Well considering UA is going to start SFO-TPE with a 777 next year as well as SFO-CTU with a 787 I don't think any long haul planes can operate intra Asia flights.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 5:16 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
UA to eliminate NRT-BKK 747 service(UA837,UA838) by March 30, 2014

After NRT to HKG, BKK, which route will be the next one to disappear from UA map... ?

Last edited by Eddy421; Nov 22, 2013 at 5:28 am
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:26 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I think that because it's a big tourist market is exactly why UA may downgauge it, unless UA is somehow getting those tourists to fork over huge amounts of ancillary revenue. The argument was that NRT-BKK, even though it was jam-packed-full, had too many tourists vs. business and premium pax. Note that I am not thrilled with that decision, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.