Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT-HKG service discontinued after 26 Oct 2013.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have stopped flying UA's 737 intra-Asia services. NH is a much better alternative.
Are you referring to coach or Business/First? No question business/first is better on NH, but Coach is not. Too little space between rows - I cannot even fly on NH in Coach.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Does ANA have a buy up program similar to the UA TOD program? =)

I will miss this option as a way point into/out of HKG on all UA metal.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Teeejay
Wonder whether UA will increase its GUM-HKG flights from 4X per week - daily for those who want to ride on UA metal all the way to HKG.
Other than a small miniority of FTers (even I don't want to) who want to maximize the miles earned, who would be flying from the US to HKG have to stop at both HNL and GUM.

Originally Posted by bldr1k
Are you referring to coach or Business/First? No question business/first is better on NH, but Coach is not. Too little space between rows - I cannot even fly on NH in Coach.
Actually no, since when was the last time you flew NH in Y ? long haul or short haul ?

NH 911/912 the flight has similiar flight time to UA 78/79 had been using the latest version of NH's 763 (the ones with winglets), it is equipped with Business Cradle and fixed back Y seats. Y's legroom have much improved than the previous version. FYI, NH's 763 is 2 class with no F.

For long haul, most of NH's 77W had reconfiged with the one with fixed back Y seat, it has the same amount of legroom as UA E+ with 34".

Originally Posted by eleeut
Does ANA have a buy up program similar to the UA TOD program? =)

I will miss this option as a way point into/out of HKG on all UA metal.
No it doesn't, either *A upgrade with Y/B fares or you walk up to upfare full amount to C.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Sep 1, 2013 at 9:22 pm
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by EWR764
I wonder if anything will change with the GUM-HKG and HKG-SGN flights now that HKG-NRT is being dropped.
Originally Posted by FWAAA
With three daily nonstops from the USA to HKG (NYC, ORD and SFO), I don't understand why so many are mourning the loss of a UA 737 from Tokyo to Hong Kong.

Besides, the network still connects NRT to HKG with immunized joint venture partner NH.

Delta still flies NRT-HKG as it doesn't have an alliance partner on that route plus fewer nonstops to HKG from the USA. AA has immunized joint venture partner JL plus codeshares on CX between NRT and HKG.

With the yield erosion in Japan, probably makes sense to let the others fight it out and to concentrate on USA-HKG nonstops.
Who wants to get to Guam to connect? You have to go through HNL and then take NON lie flat seats AFAIK for those segments not to mention the extra connection in HNL.

Using GPU's via NRT was great if you couldn't find R space form EWR/ORD/SFO, you could route via NRT to use your overwater GPU and get a lie flat and NRT-HKG would open up invariably.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 3:03 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE

For me ex-WAS, there seems to be decent availability for R availability on the IAD NRT segs. I've only been on the NH operated seg once and then I was op up'd due to oversale. Doesn't sound like the Y cabin is that bad even if I don't want to pony up the extra cash to buy up.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:54 pm

I'm flying IAH-NRT in early Nov and there as not been R>0 for 3 weeks.

I paid for PHL-IAH-NRT and ICN-SFO-PHL and then in the middle had NRT-HKG-ICN on miles. Now ANA has no availability so I'm stuck with NRT-TPE-HKG or pay a full fare ticket on ANA for NRT-HKG.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nova08
I paid for PHL-IAH-NRT and ICN-SFO-PHL and then in the middle had NRT-HKG-ICN on miles. Now ANA has no availability so I'm stuck with NRT-TPE-HKG or pay a full fare ticket on ANA for NRT-HKG.
Did you ask UA to liaise with a NH rep to get you on NRT-HKG? If you get a good agent, they might be able to force open space for you. Let them know a 1-stop, whereas before you had a n/s, is unacceptable.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Did you ask UA to liaise with a NH rep to get you on NRT-HKG? If you get a good agent, they might be able to force open space for you. Let them know a 1-stop, whereas before you had a n/s, is unacceptable.
I did not. The ANA tool shows no availability as well so it is not like there is availability out there and UA just didn't see it. I have to call again to wait list my GPUs so I'll try to press the agent then to see if ANA will open space due to UAs cancellation.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Question

I'm in the same situation. Have 2 award tickets with CTS-NRT-HKG in January next year. NRT-HKG segment is dropped. UA agent can't find us any award seats to HKG. What am I supposed to do and what will UA most likely do? Does UA have to get me a flight on that day even it will cost UA to get me an inventory seat (NRT-HKG) from ANA?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC 50K E, A3 Gold, CX Gold
booked a flight on UA yyz-den-nrt-hkg for departure in november a few months ago and got notification that there was a itinerary change. i contacted my travel agent (orbitz), and told them the recommended change yyz-ord-hkg was not acceptable as I booked with united airlines and picked the routing going through nrt because I wanted to try the boeing 787. Spoke with the first Orbitz agent, and I spoon fed her the ANA flight NRT-HKG that I wanted and after she spoke with United and their supervisor they wouldn't allow it because it's not on united metal. I then suggested NRT-GUM-HKG, and was put on hold for quite some time, and I'm not sure if it was my cell phone connection or Orbitz, but my phone disconnected. At first I was quite annoyed that after dealing with the Orbitz travel agent my call was dropped, and I waited a few minutes hoping Orbitz would call me back, but this never happened. I called back and was put on hold for awhile, but the second Orbitz travel agent I spoke to was very friendly and again I spoon fed her the ANA flight number I wanted and she put me on hold for quite some time while she worked with her support/sales staff and with United, and yes finally I'm on ANA flight 911 NRT-HKG! Love these schedule changes =) I get my wish to fly on the dreamliner, and i'm now I get better service with ANA on my NRT-HKG flight!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
Tough to get traffic rights.@:-)

UA has Beyond Rights ex-Japan. UA needs approval from both Hong Kong and Thailand for HKG-BKK flights.
They flew it in the late 80s/early 90s.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
73G vs 738

Now that HKG-SGN will be sort of isolated from the system (GUM-HKG being 4x weekly), I wonder what will happen between the 737-700s and the 737-800s. GUM-NRT-HKG-SGN has been solidly 738s because of high GUM-NRT and NRT-HKG demands, but since they increased GUM-HKG from 2x to 4x, roughly half the flights have been 73Gs (they can't really fill the extra 4.5 rows).

Let me guess they might just downgrade some HKG-SGN to 73Gs, probably more than the current GUM-HKG percentages because they need the 738s all the time for the remaining GUM-NRT route.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I wonder what percentage of passengers on the UA NRT-HKG flights are connecting to/from US mainland on UA? I have only flown this segment a couple of times, but noticed the flights were full. And it was better to get a chance at an upgrade on this route (even on a 737) with a GPU if connecting to/from the US, than sitting in NH Y.

Sure HKG is served directly by EWR/ORD/SFO, but NRT is served by several other UA hub/major cities.

I wonder if NH is going to fly an additional flight on this route to make up for UA pulling out.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I wonder what percentage of passengers on the UA NRT-HKG flights are connecting to/from US mainland on UA? I have only flown this segment a couple of times, but noticed the flights were full. And it was better to get a chance at an upgrade on this route (even on a 737) with a GPU if connecting to/from the US, than sitting in NH Y.

Sure HKG is served directly by EWR/ORD/SFO, but NRT is served by several other UA hub/major cities.

I wonder if NH is going to fly an additional flight on this route to make up for UA pulling out.
The last (and only) time I flew HKG-NRT was in 2012 and I would say I could recognize 20+ people who were supposed to connect to SEA. HKG-NRT wound up being delayed 3 hours in HKG so we all got-rerouted via LAX. But SEA/LAX are at least two major cities that people would connect through NRT to from HKG without getting on the HKG-SFO non-stop. But at least SFO-LAX/SEA have plenty of flights.

-RM
Old Oct 4, 2013, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Time traveller

Why would NH need to fly an additional flight on this route to make up for UA pulling out ? You do know there is NH 911/912 timed exactly as UA 78/79 right ?

In a matter of fact, NH 911/912 started when sUA discontinue its own NRT-HKG flight (it was operated by a 777 toward the end of service), and UA codeshare NH 911/912 as well. And even before UA has 78/79, NH 911/912 never filled up with 100% load, C was always empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.