Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT-HKG service discontinued after 26 Oct 2013.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT-HKG service discontinued after 26 Oct 2013.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
So now there will be one flight a day from ORD and one a day from SFO to HKG from the U.S. and that's it. Great.

CX just announced a fourth daily flight between LAX to HKG.

UA seems to be counting on the fact that there will be some passengers who will fly UA no matter what. Glad I am not one of them.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
So now there will be one flight a day from ORD and one a day from SFO to HKG from the U.S. and that's it. Great.

UA seems to be counting on the fact that there will be some passengers who will fly UA no matter what. Glad I am not one of them.
What about EWR?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
What about EWR?
Ok. EWR.

I tend to forget the CO routes.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: United Gold, Delta Silver, SPG Gold
I was looking for flights from NRT to HKG at the end of this month on United's site and they don't show the direct NH option anymore? The only routing shown was either via Guam or Ho Chi Minh. Before UA discontinued this route, the website showed the NH option as well. Does that flight no longer have a code share? Being based in SEA, they still show the NH direct option to NRT with NH's dreamliner.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA,DL

UA could start IAH-HKG although I highly doubt it.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by deltaflyer08
UA could start IAH-HKG although I highly doubt it.
I doubt they can compete against AA 77W (F/J/Y+), let alone CX.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
The codeshare still exists, and it seems that it's still bookable, but only as a connection to another segment, i.e. SEA-NRT-HKG with NRT as a layover and not as a stopover. Me thinks it has something to do with the codeshare agreement such that UA can't market it on its own...

Originally Posted by tksr80
I was looking for flights from NRT to HKG at the end of this month on United's site and they don't show the direct NH option anymore? The only routing shown was either via Guam or Ho Chi Minh. Before UA discontinued this route, the website showed the NH option as well. Does that flight no longer have a code share? Being based in SEA, they still show the NH direct option to NRT with NH's dreamliner.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: United Gold, Delta Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vkykam
The codeshare still exists, and it seems that it's still bookable, but only as a connection to another segment, i.e. SEA-NRT-HKG with NRT as a layover and not as a stopover. Me thinks it has something to do with the codeshare agreement such that UA can't market it on its own...
Looks like you are right, the NH NRT/HKG flight shows up on a search for SEA-HKG without a stopover on United's website. This sucks for me as my TPAC business trips always involve going to Tokyo (stopover) with a stop to Hong Kong afterwards.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
NH 911/912 are not even necessarily sold as UA codeshares. My family member's recent trip LAX-NRT-HKG-NRT-LAX had NH flight numbers 911/912 on all documents. It's only when I needed to look for flight info on UA's website or toll free number that I needed to find the UA flight numbers.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
NH 911/912 are not even necessarily sold as UA codeshares. My family member's recent trip LAX-NRT-HKG-NRT-LAX had NH flight numbers 911/912 on all documents. It's only when I needed to look for flight info on UA's website or toll free number that I needed to find the UA flight numbers.
This can have an effect on fuel surcharges from time to time.
i.e.
LHR-DXB has a BA flight number and an AA flight number.
Selling YTO AA X/LON AA DXB AA X/LON AA YTO priced out differently than YTO AA X/LON BA DXB BA X/LON AA YTO (the difference was YQ assesment by BA on LHR-DXB-LHR, despite being identical in fare basis and flights.)
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I doubt they can compete against AA 77W (F/J/Y+), let alone CX.
Agreed. AA's tired old angle-flat product has no chance against UA's fully flat product, let alone against CX.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:22 pm

I flew this route back in Sept 2013 and to be honest I don't know who would pay for this product (although the flight was mostly full) given so many better choices out there. Maybe tour groups? it was worse than flying some of the low cost Asian airlines. I honestly thought flying tiger to SIN from HKG was a better experience than flying UA on this particular route
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by unavaca
Agreed. AA's tired old angle-flat product has no chance against UA's fully flat product, let alone against CX.
AA's 77W? Tired?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca
I think you should spend some time researching the configuration of the AA 77W (777-300ER).

I predict you will come back and want to edit your post once you do so.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by XLR26
AA's 77W? Tired?
I think you should spend some time researching the configuration of the AA 77W (777-300ER).

I predict you will come back and want to edit your post once you do so.
You predict incorrectly. As this thread is about competition with UA/CX and Asia service, it's worth noting that AA has a total of ten 77Ws, none of which serve Asia. UA has 24 744s, 35 763s, 16 764s, 67 International-configured 772s, 41 International-configured 752s, and 10 787s. That's a total of 193 fully lie-flat birds in UA's fleet. I rest easy knowing that I can fly non-stop from the US to Asia, Europe, South America, Australia, or Africa on UA metal and will get a lie-flat plane.

So, like I said, please enjoy the tired angle-flat product on AA to Asia. It doesn't hold a candle to UA's product, much less CX's product.

Oh yeah, and that DFW-HKG route? Still pending government approval (clearly stated on www.aa.com/fly777).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.