Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Thumbs down

I always liked the Sierra Nevada and other local beer at LAX and SFO, hope they keep it comped. I suppose the UC is now an open bar at a dumpy banquet hall, serving cheap spirits that taste like rubbing alcohol.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:40 am

UA downgrades even worse than DL?

Some of us have expressed worry that UA would follow DL into the bottom shelf of the liquor cabinet. It may actually be worse than we feared.

The Gordon's vodka that's now the DL house pour is available online for anywhere from $12 to $16 a liter. The Bellows vodka that's now turning up at the UC costs $8.99 a liter. If price is an indication of quality, we're looking at drinks that will be crappier, and by a healthy margin, than what even DL serves.

Never let it be said that United is slavishly following the Delta playbook. When it comes to degrading the quality of the services it offers, the UC takes a back seat to no one.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by salesna
The Bellows vodka that's now turning up at the UC costs $8.99 a liter.
After trying Bellows yesterday at ORD, it is even worse than I imagined. Horrific vodka. Even in a bloody mary, there is a "paint thinner" aspect to it.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Here in SAN everything is still the same. Maybe they are just testing it out to see what the reaction will be...so make sure you complain loudly to anyone who will listen.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:29 pm

Still all the usual stuff here at the terminal C UC in EWR...
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Sorry, this was in BKK before my flight to KBV which I paid a whopping ~$65

USM is considerably more as PG has established a monopoly in a niche market and rightfully so. I have herd great things about what they did over at USM.
I flew PG out of USM last summer. Quite a nice terminal and my 3-day advance purchase fare to KUL was only $115 or thereabouts.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by salesna
Some of us have expressed worry that UA would follow DL into the bottom shelf of the liquor cabinet. It may actually be worse than we feared.

The Gordon's vodka that's now the DL house pour is available online for anywhere from $12 to $16 a liter. The Bellows vodka that's now turning up at the UC costs $8.99 a liter. If price is an indication of quality, we're looking at drinks that will be crappier, and by a healthy margin, than what even DL serves.

Never let it be said that United is slavishly following the Delta playbook. When it comes to degrading the quality of the services it offers, the UC takes a back seat to no one.
Some family members of mine have a beverage ID number for their business. I know exactly how much wine and spirits cost. The volume discount UA would receive would be substantial.

This "nickel and diming" of customer service offerings and abundance of credit card perk idiocy just goes to show that UA management are more interested in their bonuses. But, that's what happens when you sell yourself to Wall Street as a publicly traded company. It's pretty pathetic and I am glad that I am not the one in charge. UA is a customer oriented business.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Some family members of mine have a beverage ID number for their business. I know exactly how much wine and spirits cost.
Can you price these Vodka's out for me, either wholesale or retail, for reference purposes? (or just a subset if it is too much effort...)

Tito's
Absolut
Bad Boy Vodka (in honor of Rodman's trip to see his 'friend')
Skyy
Smirnoff
Seagram's
Popov
Svedka
Bellows
Mccormick
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:43 pm

And it is official....LAX Terminal 6 club is closing

http://www.insidesocal.com/aviation/...inal-upgrades/
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Can you price these Vodka's out for me, either wholesale or retail, for reference purposes? (or just a subset if it is too much effort...)

Tito's
Absolut
Bad Boy Vodka (in honor of Rodman's trip to see his 'friend')
Skyy
Smirnoff
Seagram's
Popov
Svedka
Bellows
Mccormick
I can only give you the quote for my family members. That is, the quote I get will not be the same as the quote UA receives.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nova08
And it is official....LAX Terminal 6 club is closing

http://www.insidesocal.com/aviation/...inal-upgrades/
Hopefully with whatever the new situation is, it won't be a net loss of space as what was observed at SEA, from what the indications are
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Retail ABC prices in VA for these, all for 750mL bottles; depending on the state, UA may have to pay retail prices, or may get them wholesale, so make of these numbers what you will:

Absolut - $21.90
Tito's - $20.95
Skyy - $16.95
Smirnoff - $14.95
Svedka - $14.95
Seagram's - $11.95
Popov - $8.40
Mccormick - $6.40 (* based on the only available size, 1.75L, at $14.95)

Bad Boy Vodka - not available in VA
Bellows - not available in VA
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Hopefully with whatever the new situation is, it won't be a net loss of space as what was observed at SEA, from what the indications are
SEA's new club is awesome, and not in a basement...

The only time it is crowded is ahead of the NRT flight. Now that this flight is downgauging to a 787, this (crowding) probably won't be an issue anymore.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Originally Posted by exerda
Retail ABC prices in VA for these, all for 750mL bottles; depending on the state, UA may have to pay retail prices, or may get them wholesale, so make of these numbers what you will:

Absolut - $21.90
Tito's - $20.95
Skyy - $16.95
Smirnoff - $14.95
Svedka - $14.95
Seagram's - $11.95
Popov - $8.40
Mccormick - $6.40 (* based on the only available size, 1.75L, at $14.95)

Bad Boy Vodka - not available in VA
Bellows - not available in VA
I'm pretty sure all those retail prices are cheaper here in Dallas. I just bought 1.75L of Tito's $24.50 at Goody Goody. Saw a 1.75 Svedka it was $16.99 or 18.99. I will look when there again. UA should get a bigger discount than that.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Blootch
I always liked the Sierra Nevada and other local beer at LAX and SFO, hope they keep it comped. I suppose the UC is now an open bar at a dumpy banquet hall, serving cheap spirits that taste like rubbing alcohol.
Not looking forward to my SFO-YVR flight in the near future... to UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.