Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: MM - GOLD, HH, Mariott
Originally Posted by Baze
Do you have any kind of a source to backup these claims?
Yes -all I can say is all the bartenders received an email advising them not to be telling customers about the upcoming changes
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spinky
Yes -all I can say is all the bartenders received an email advising them not to be telling customers about the upcoming changes
Yet they told you anyway?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Remember when they charged for drinks in the Red Carpet Club? Remember how they pitched it...."drinks at popular prices." I always got a laugh out of that.

If they think that $8 for a Dewars is popular, then Jeffy and I obviously don't go to the same bars. For what it's worth, I'm just not going to spend money on booze. My plan is to switch from scotch to vodka....have it mixed with cranberry (the tartness will mask the bath-tubby nature of it), and just get as sloshed as ever.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
I almost wish they'd jack the price up $200 per member and give free hot food and make all the alcohol free. I need like 50K more miles to get a million miles, but perhaps after that, I'll switch to another carrier.
I agree - it might also thin out the crowds. I would even go so far as to suggest combining the pmUA (nearly all paid) and pmCO (mostly free) models - something along the lines of each membership comes with a $200ish premium food and beverage credit, with a % discount for purchases for members vs non-members. Make the current set of well products a nominal $2/member (100 drinks per year), $4 non-member. Those of us who drink little/nothing would get more value from a nicer food selection, without subsidizing heavy drinkers. Let the people on passes do the subsidizing. Next, allow me to recharge my card for double miles (or even promo recharges for 3x or 4x the miles), or exchange points for club credits.

I can rationalize knowing x%of my membership $$ is just for use of the space and y% is for food/beverage. Similar to only paying for the cable channels I really want.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
I agree - it might also thin out the crowds. I would even go so far as to suggest combining the pmUA (nearly all paid) and pmCO (mostly free) models - something along the lines of each membership comes with a $200ish premium food and beverage credit, with a % discount for purchases for members vs non-members. Make the current set of well products a nominal $2/member (100 drinks per year), $4 non-member. Those of us who drink little/nothing would get more value from a nicer food selection, without subsidizing heavy drinkers. Let the people on passes do the subsidizing. Next, allow me to recharge my card for double miles (or even promo recharges for 3x or 4x the miles), or exchange points for club credits.

I can rationalize knowing x%of my membership $$ is just for use of the space and y% is for food/beverage. Similar to only paying for the cable channels I really want.
Again, how can Asian and European carriers give it for FREE to *G (or equivalent) fliers?

AND have great food and booze and wifi? Oh and to paid premium cabins too, domestic and international..
Old Aug 31, 2013, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Again, how can Asian and European carriers give it for FREE to *G (or equivalent) fliers?

AND have great food and booze and wifi? Oh and to paid premium cabins too, domestic and international..
Not every business model that works in Asia and Europe works here in the US. Aren't some of these foreign lounges by invitation only? And since when has UA ever done anything up to the standard of quality foreign carriers? Regardless, I just want a nice club experience every time I visit (not just when traveling internationally as a *G) and the current system definitely isn't cutting it.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Unfortunately they are increasing the price of the premium offerings we have today - for example Grey Goose moving up to over $10 from $6.

My fear is the best thing going in the clubs - nice (for Costco) $40 bottles of wine like Jordan cab available for $10-$12 a glass - will disappear, and we'll spend $10-$12 a glass for a $12 bottle of Trader Joes wine like at the Delta clubs. Hope that is wrong.

Look at the overpriced 'Luxury Bar' at Delta and that's what we could be getting. Can go to a nice airport restaurant and get those prices with better atmosphere.
That would make me less excited...

Perhaps a top shelf margarita for $10, or if they have some fine scotch or brandy it may call for $10+.

Not Grey Goose though.

We'll see soon, won't we?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ContPlat
Continental nearly always had free drinks (there are still some surviving life members that will get free drinks regardless! - nice story on that).
What's this story about surviving life members getting free drinks regardless?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dulcamara
The booze and open wireless were two things PMCO did right. I guess Jeff is always on the lookout for bad ideas, so he took a couple from PMUA and DL.

I hope he leaves the premium wine selections alone.
Having a secure wifi connection also ensures that non-members don't sit outside the lounge and mooch off the wifi. This is a big bonus in my book.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Not every business model that works in Asia and Europe works here in the US.
This statement is not the same as "No business model that works in Asia and Europe works here in the US." Further, Cyclogenesis asked about one particular business model, not every business model. You're being dismissive of a valid question. How is it that United, a "founding member of Star Alliance," as Jeff has told me many times on his pre-safety video self-congratulatory pat on the back, can't do what most other Star Alliance carriers can do?

Aren't some of these foreign lounges by invitation only? And since when has UA ever done anything up to the standard of quality foreign carriers?
Whether or not they are invitation only, they still collect the money. Whether by credit card, lifetime subscription, annual payment, or one-time day passes, we pay a premium amount for access and we get a sub-standard product.

As for if UA has ever done anything up to the quality of foreign carriers, I think that's a defeatist attitude. It's pretty much saying they can't do it because they never have. I think that's a plate of baloney sandwiches. They can do it if they wanted to. Other carriers provide a much higher quality experience using the same or fewer resources. United just chooses not to.

Regardless, I just want a nice club experience every time I visit (not just when traveling internationally as a *G) and the current system definitely isn't cutting it.
We're in complete agreement here. ^ I might sound like an over-entitled elite, but I think my money should provide a much better experience than it does. Sure, it's better than sitting at the gates, but that's setting the bar pretty darn low. We should have lounges that are comparable to the *A lounges (either international or operated by foreign carriers in the US), without the periodic "changes we think you'll like" cutbacks we have grown to despise.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Not every business model that works in Asia and Europe works here in the US. Aren't some of these foreign lounges by invitation only? And since when has UA ever done anything up to the standard of quality foreign carriers? Regardless, I just want a nice club experience every time I visit (not just when traveling internationally as a *G) and the current system definitely isn't cutting it.
Very few (Singapore in Sydney... and another I can not recall) are invite only..

BUT again, as a *G in a non us airline it us EVERY time you visit!

Oh the lofty days of being a Qantas gold.. Hot food and good drink on domestic flights..
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
This business model should expand. Perhaps Olive Garden could start a club where they charge 500 bucks a year, and then let you order off the menu at only 20% more than the menu price, but let you come in through a small door hidden in the corner.....
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by littlegreenmen
I know this is a total broken record, but it really blows my mind how LH can offer made-to-order Havana Club 7-year Mojitos and UA can't even do Jim Beam or Smirnoff well drinks.
UA can, it simply chooses the questionable revenue over providing quality customer service. Alcohol is inexpensive, especially when you consider UA's volume, bargaining power with distributors, and associated mark-up.

It's short-sighted management, IMHO. Let's nickel and dime a certain customer base so that I can get a better bonus.

Last edited by DelrayChris; Aug 31, 2013 at 9:27 pm
Old Sep 1, 2013, 5:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jadenus
As for if UA has ever done anything up to the quality of foreign carriers, I think that's a defeatist attitude. It's pretty much saying they can't do it because they never have. I think that's a plate of baloney sandwiches. They can do it if they wanted to. Other carriers provide a much higher quality experience using the same or fewer resources. United just chooses not to.

We're in complete agreement here. ^ I might sound like an over-entitled elite, but I think my money should provide a much better experience than it does. Sure, it's better than sitting at the gates, but that's setting the bar pretty darn low. We should have lounges that are comparable to the *A lounges (either international or operated by foreign carriers in the US), without the periodic "changes we think you'll like" cutbacks we have grown to despise.
^ ^ I'm really on the fence with regard to renewing my UC membership next year. It seems like every change is designed to make the club experience less enjoyable.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:56 am

I have been testing the Wi-Fi at a few of the hub clubs and as of late the speeds have improved fairly dramatically.

Recently at SFO (the club was packed) and I was seeing speeds approx 40Mbps Down and about 20Mbps Up. No complaints there.

I am not sure the motivation for password protecting the Wi-Fi, having enough bandwidth and the capacity provide should be enough, IMHO.

If the blast email is any indication of the change in Wi-Fi it does not look like a third party is going to be handling the Wi-Fi (aka T-Mobile, at&t, etc.) instead it looks UA is going to continue to in-house but add this extra layer of authentication.

Dan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.