Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 14, 1:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: J.Edward
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 22, 13, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by amartin1979 View Post
How are the drink selections affected at the international United Club locations? NRT, HKG, etc?
I was at the GRU UC on 9/15, so 5 days after this change went into effect.

Plentiful self-pour decent liquor. Self-pour Argentinian wines. All the beer was in bottles.

So I don't think any change there.

(The wifi however required a password, and neither of my two devices could even connect to the network)

Last edited by bse118; Sep 22, 13 at 9:56 am Reason: corrected error
Old Sep 22, 13, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer View Post
When they give you one with an inch of foam on top, you are at 6 oz.

It's better to just order two at a time.
Was at IAD D during the Europe departures wave yesterday and the place was packed to the gills. There was a persistent line 6-12 deep of people waiting for the bar. I definitely saw people ordering two drinks for themselves, but when they ran out of seats, I wouldn't be surprised if someone ordered a beer and returned to the back of the line, planning to drink it while waiting for a refill.

I used to think of the premium wine selections as a pretty good deal, better than restaurant prices for the wines. It was almost as if there was some sort of "club", and as someone with access to the "club", I received "membership benefits" that included pretty fair prices for wine and spirits. I ordered the premium wine a fair bit, but don't see doing it now that they're pouring with a chaser of irritation at being gouged. If I'm going to spent $14 on a glass of wine, I'm going to Vino Volo, where I'll get something more interesting, ample seating, table service, and reliably fast internet. (This should concern you, because I get in as *G, and if I'm not choosing to use your service for free....)
Old Sep 22, 13, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lensman View Post
I wonder if this is the real problem - it's not United's fault, but the United States itself for having undrinkable beer and liquor for really cheap?

You may laugh but perhaps we could set standards for beer, wine and gin, etc. So in order to be called beer, you have to follow certain standards from the control board. Bud lite would be reclassified as "pasteurized processed beer food" and not beer just like Velveeta can't be called cheese.

Well, ok, you should probably laugh at this idea.
Not to go too far OT, but the US has a ton of drinkable, great, and even affordable beer (probably more so than just about anywhere else these days with the success of the craft beer and microbrewery scene). We unfortunately also have a ton of swill which is even cheaper and which many people drink as all they know of "beer" is Bud Lite.

It says something that UA opted to go with the swill.
Old Sep 22, 13, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Not to go too far OT, but the US has a ton of drinkable, great, and even affordable beer (probably more so than just about anywhere else these days with the success of the craft beer and microbrewery scene). We unfortunately also have a ton of swill which is even cheaper and which many people drink as all they know of "beer" is Bud Lite.

It says something that UA opted to go with the swill.
+1 the United States is certainly in the midst of a beer renaissance right now.
Old Sep 22, 13, 10:53 am

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
It could be worse

I've been following this thread very closely and talked to several of my friends about the downgrade in well liquor quality in the UCs, specifically to Bellows from Smirnoff.

I attended a show at the Vic here in Chicago on Friday night. They had a bar. I asked how much for a Vodka Diet - it was $7 for a single, or $11 for a double. I ordered a double. What did she pour me? Bellows Vodka.

So, it could be worse - they could start charging us for Bellows, and some suckers might pay for it!
Old Sep 22, 13, 2:15 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
IAD D8 club yesterday. Complimentary Coors Light (on tap) and MGD 12oz bottle. MGD was OK.
Added this to wki.
Old Sep 22, 13, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Canned reply from UC, awaiting Chase still:

Dear CaptKornDog:

We’re always glad to hear from Premier Silver members like you. I'm sorry that it is because of your disappointment with the changes to the United Club lounges.

Our primary goal at the United Club is to offer you the highest quality of service. We continually work toward that purpose and it is through the constructive comments from our most important customers that we are able to provide the comforts and conveniences that you prefer. The feedback you have provided in your correspondence will be forwarded to the appropriate department for consideration.

Regards,

(removed)

United Club
Old Sep 22, 13, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Reply from the SFO Global First Lounge today when asked about the downgrade in liquor. "I haven't heard anything yet, but wouldn't be surprised if it happened here too".

Can you imagine plastic handles of vodka and whiskey in the GFL?

Unfortunately, based on UA's history...yes I can (although I can more easily image a padlock on the door).
Old Sep 22, 13, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, UA MP 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, hhonors Diamond
Not sure if change is still to come, but today there were three beer choices in BOS Terminal A Club that were free, including Sam Adams.
Old Sep 22, 13, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mrjay View Post
Good question. IIRC the NRT self serve beer machines poured Asahi, I certainly hope UA hasn't swapped Bud Lite into those cool machines.
We were there just the other day and the Asahi is still on tap. I also took a shower.

However, there is still no food to speak of, the club was overcrowded (with a lack of power outlets), it was way too hot for us, and the Internet was so slow as to be unusable.

We had a sufficiently long layover that we hiked over to the ANA Lounge near Gate 57 (we'd visited the closer one a couple of years back with fellow FTers). What a difference! Comfortable temperature, sushi, a noodle bar, a self-serve sake bar, and quick Internet. It wasn't at all crowded and we hung out there in relative bliss for a couple of hours.

Oh, and they have the self-serve beer machines too. ^
Old Sep 23, 13, 10:50 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Anyone received an email recently from UC after writing in to express opinions on the downgrades? I received one 11 days ago that I would hear back shortly but have heard nothing. Assuming they stopped sending out canned replies but could be wrong?

Last edited by DawgmanOH; Sep 23, 13 at 12:49 pm
Old Sep 23, 13, 12:08 pm

Programs: 1K; Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by andyh64000 View Post
Keep trying...it took me several emails worded stronger and stronger each time.

What they did is a complete BS bait and switch and everyone should have the option of a refund.
Exactly. Keep trying.

http://www.jdsupra.com/post/document...c-0b448bb1898a
Old Sep 23, 13, 1:45 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH View Post
Anyone received an email recently from UC after writing in to express opinions on the downgrades? I received one 11 days ago that I would hear back shortly but have heard nothing. Assuming they stopped sending out canned replies but could be wrong?
Only multiple emails that the club reserves the right to change anything they want and there are no refunds.

On a good note, Rose at the UC in AUS can still make a mean Bloody Mary with the well vodka, even though it is a measured pour McCormick's.
Old Sep 23, 13, 7:27 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
At EWR, both C clubs seem to have Gordon's as their well vodka.
Old Sep 24, 13, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer View Post
Only multiple emails that the club reserves the right to change anything they want and there are no refunds.

On a good note, Rose at the UC in AUS can still make a mean Bloody Mary with the well vodka, even though it is a measured pour McCormick's.
Blah... think i'll save my bloody marys for the plane now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: