Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gunner14
I've been debating Amex Plat v. UC Club card. Between this lounge and these new 'changes we'll like' to the UC, it's a no-brainer.
Been doing research on Amex Plat and Priority Pass myself. Can't decide which would suit my needs more but definitely NOT renewing UC.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Because of this change I just booked Orbitz with LH flights instead of using UA.com (as usual) to avoid UA club, price difference was $1200 cheaper on orbitz.

On the return flight I do have to go through terminal C but will be spending my time in the terminal bars.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:17 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Sorry, I left some facts out. Lifetime club members that are 1MM or more (like me) get passes every year. I sell mine.
I also have NOT received this (I am lifetime UC member & MM).
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:15 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

For those who flies dominantly on UA, Priority Pass would be better as you cannot gain admittance into the UC with the PP membership that comes with AMEX. Except maybe for those based in CLE/BWI with the Airspace offering.

However, if one flies 50/50% mix between UA/AA/US/DL then AMEX would do the trick.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1MM
Originally Posted by edcho
SFO WiFi auth is scheduled to launch tomorrow.
Any update on the new procedure to log in at the SFO UCs?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
No password protected wifi in the UC in PHX and the low number gate Club in EWR "C" as of Tuesday.

Did hear lots of shocked responses in PHX when the bartender mentioned that only BarfLight was comp beer at the UC.

At least at the US Airways Club, we have full calorie Bud. LOL
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:18 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept. - Oct. 2013

just felt like I would add that my UC membership will be lapsing shortly. Had a screwdriver this morning in Den that tasted like rubbing alcohol and had to pay $3 for my Big Daddy IPA in SFO 5 minutes ago. I can get a better deal and better atmosphere at any airport bar in SFO.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 5:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
Thumbs down Paying for Drinks/Internet

The simple fact is that there are PEOPLE(and I use that term loosely) that will have no problem paying for the drinks because they arent paying for the drinks, their company is OR they are fools. If NO ONE bought the expanded drink selection it would quickly disappear however my opinion is that the lemmings will just buy along. That is why customer service all around suffers - people just accept it and go one with their sad lives.

I vote that we start a thread and tell people NOT to buy the liquor, At LEAST for one day a week or more. See how quickly things will change then.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by TheMan
The simple fact is that there are PEOPLE(and I use that term loosely) that will have no problem paying for the drinks because they arent paying for the drinks, their company is OR they are fools. If NO ONE bought the expanded drink selection it would quickly disappear however my opinion is that the lemmings will just buy along. That is why customer service all around suffers - people just accept it and go one with their sad lives.

I vote that we start a thread and tell people NOT to buy the liquor, At LEAST for one day a week or more. See how quickly things will change then.
Um... most people dont even know what FT is (even some frequent travelers).
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I highly recommend the Joel Gott 815 Cab or the Dona Paula Malbec. You will not be disappointed in either.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by TheMan
The simple fact is that there are PEOPLE(and I use that term loosely) that will have no problem paying for the drinks because they arent paying for the drinks, their company is OR they are fools.
Well count me as one of those PEOPLE. Under the new structure, I've been eyeing the airport bars as I make my way though the terminal and if they aren't crowded settling down there, if there is a crowd (and no stools) off to the UC I go (before it was straight to the UC). In either case my employer is picking up the tab (as they do with my UC membership).

Perhaps UA did the math and realized that a small enough percentage of their UC customers fly on their own dime and decided to take advantage of the rest who have little price sensitivity.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 1:22 am

Just wanted to post an update. I got an unsubstantial first response from Chase, and then wrote back complaining about how I missed my 60 day refund period by 11 days, etc.. Got a call from the executive office today and the guy was really nice and understanding (he homebrews, so he can understand the frustration w/ the only free beer being Bud Light).

He downgraded me to the Explorer card as I asked and gave me a pro-rated refund, then commented on how the refund was substantial enough that I should be able to buy plenty of drinks in the airport bars w/ it Overall, I'm much happier with this outcome, instead of having to wait until next July to downgrade.

Last edited by Jophiel; Sep 20, 2013 at 1:27 am
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:18 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
I got the following reply to my second request for a pro-rated refund.

Dear Mr. UATexasFlyer:

Once purchased, United Club memberships are not transferable or refundable. If you have any questions, please contact the United Club Service Center at 1-866-822-5827.

Regards,

United Club

We appreciate your interest in United Club. We look forward to serving your lounge needs in the future. For United Club information, please visit www.united.com/unitedclub.
I guess I will have to go the route of contesting the $400 charge with Amex.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer
I got the following reply to my second request for a pro-rated refund.

I guess I will have to go the route of contesting the $400 charge with Amex.
Keep trying...it took me several emails worded stronger and stronger each time.

What they did is a complete BS bait and switch and everyone should have the option of a refund.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I did not get a response from UA after I responded saying I was contesting the charge with AMEX. AMEX is currently investigating and giving me a temporary credit with an expected resolution in November

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.