Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 14, 1:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: J.Edward
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 18, 13, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
I've been paying for a United Club membership but no more after these changes. Turkish Airlines just matched my 1k status and I now have a Turkish star alliance gold card so I can get into any UC club.

Even if they stop the match doesn't it just make sense to pay Lufthansa or Singapore for a club membership? If they are going to do this to us, it seems only fair. At least there would be no issues using the better lounges at SFO or elsewhere.
Lufthansa doesn't sell a club membership. You only get access with status. I don't know about Singapore.
Old Sep 18, 13, 11:07 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Coming into JFK from LHR shortly. I will bypass the UC and enjoy Americans Flagship Lounge instead.
Old Sep 18, 13, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by edcho View Post
Shesh! I wonder how many of them are CC UC passes.
After a quick browse of the auction site, pretty much all of them are CC passes (there are a few oddball items that aren't actually United Airlines Club passes).
Old Sep 18, 13, 11:10 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
In CLE UC now and the beer is Great Lakes Dortmunder for $3 but the glasses are a BIT larger than the old small ones. I would guesstimate 10 ounces or so. Could be wrong.

Also, they currently have Glenlivet 15, Knob Creek and Makers Mark still at the old price of $6 until they run out. A genuine bargain compare to the prices once those run out.
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
I've been paying for a United Club membership but no more after these changes. Turkish Airlines just matched my 1k status and I now have a Turkish star alliance gold card so I can get into any UC club.

Even if they stop the match doesn't it just make sense to pay Lufthansa or Singapore for a club membership? If they are going to do this to us, it seems only fair. At least there would be no issues using the better lounges at SFO or elsewhere.
After 8 years of membership I quit today. They offered 10k miles with a 2k spend but it was not worth it to me.
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH View Post
In CLE UC now and the beer is Great Lakes Dortmunder for $3 but the glasses are a BIT larger than the old small ones. I would guesstimate 10 ounces or so. Could be wrong.
All of my flights for the next month are AM out of CLE, so it's not exactly beer time... I would be curious to see cell phone pictures posted of the $3 UC Dortmunders side-by-side with the $5 full pints right next door to the club at the Great Lakes Brewery restaurant.
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:41 pm

I can't figure out why there are so many one time passes on ebay (and mostly from one or two sellers). They must be either fakes or some lounge agent isn't scanning the passes and is reselling them on ebay.
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
For those of you that were fans of ABC's "Lost", would you pay $3 for one of these if made available at the UC?

Old Sep 18, 13, 12:49 pm

Programs: CX Gold/UA*G/HH Gold/Marriott Plt/SPG Gold/
I noticed in the store you can by a 1.5 litre bottle (two regular liquor bottles) of McCormick vodka for.......$15. Haven't tried it, but sounds dangerous. As a foreign *Gold I am so glad I have a Canadian Priority pass so I can get into some of the AS and KLM lounges when I fly through the U.S.!!!!

Compare to this places like the self-serve bar at the SQ lounge in BKK where you could make some elegant cocktails for yourself with a martini shaker, bitters, etc.

What an embarrassment to the whole Star Alliance!

FYI, even the contract lounges in small town China airports have better food and drinks than the UA club. Would take a bottle of Tsing Tao from the fridge over Bud Light anyday!
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by west_end_NYC View Post
For those of you that were fans of ABC's "Lost", would you pay $3 for one of these if made available at the UC?
Ingesting a product is a bit different from buying a service
Old Sep 18, 13, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA silver; AA Gold;AGR;HH Gold;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold
Originally Posted by fragment54 View Post
I can't figure out why there are so many one time passes on ebay (and mostly from one or two sellers). They must be either fakes or some lounge agent isn't scanning the passes and is reselling them on ebay.
I've bought a few, when the price is right. I can tell you none of the passes I've bought were fakes and none were reused. They were all still attached to the original paper backing that is used by Chase for shipping. I just think that most people who get the Chase card decide to sell the passes.
Maybe a Chase employee has access to them? But all the passes I bought have been from different sellers
Old Sep 18, 13, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL, B6 Mosaic, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jfk747 View Post
In cleveland for star golds a phrase of the day is how you login.
I cannot figure out what this sentence means without punctuation.
Old Sep 18, 13, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by grrizzli View Post
I cannot figure out what this sentence means without punctuation.
You have to type in a chosen phrase for that day to login -- presumably by getting the phrase from the lounge dragon.
Old Sep 18, 13, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by Darlox View Post
All of my flights for the next month are AM out of CLE, so it's not exactly beer time... I would be curious to see cell phone pictures posted of the $3 UC Dortmunders side-by-side with the $5 full pints right next door to the club at the Great Lakes Brewery restaurant.
Versus the free Great Lakes seasonal bottle in the CLE Airspace Lounge
Old Sep 18, 13, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I hear they are going to fix the wi-fi issue by handing out 2400 baud modems. Phone jacks will be available for something around $1.00/min.....

You only think I'm kidding

Search this Thread
Search Engine: