Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 14, 1:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: J.Edward
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 18, 13, 11:05 am
  #1051  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 3,694
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
I've been paying for a United Club membership but no more after these changes. Turkish Airlines just matched my 1k status and I now have a Turkish star alliance gold card so I can get into any UC club.

Even if they stop the match doesn't it just make sense to pay Lufthansa or Singapore for a club membership? If they are going to do this to us, it seems only fair. At least there would be no issues using the better lounges at SFO or elsewhere.
Lufthansa doesn't sell a club membership. You only get access with status. I don't know about Singapore.
tods27 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 11:07 am
  #1052  
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: AUS
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Posts: 451
Coming into JFK from LHR shortly. I will bypass the UC and enjoy Americans Flagship Lounge instead.
ATXflyer is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 11:07 am
  #1053  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 3,694
Originally Posted by edcho View Post
Shesh! I wonder how many of them are CC UC passes.
After a quick browse of the auction site, pretty much all of them are CC passes (there are a few oddball items that aren't actually United Airlines Club passes).
tods27 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 11:10 am
  #1054  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Posts: 1,243
In CLE UC now and the beer is Great Lakes Dortmunder for $3 but the glasses are a BIT larger than the old small ones. I would guesstimate 10 ounces or so. Could be wrong.

Also, they currently have Glenlivet 15, Knob Creek and Makers Mark still at the old price of $6 until they run out. A genuine bargain compare to the prices once those run out.
DawgmanOH is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:24 pm
  #1055  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bahamas
Programs: AA Plat
Posts: 942
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
I've been paying for a United Club membership but no more after these changes. Turkish Airlines just matched my 1k status and I now have a Turkish star alliance gold card so I can get into any UC club.

Even if they stop the match doesn't it just make sense to pay Lufthansa or Singapore for a club membership? If they are going to do this to us, it seems only fair. At least there would be no issues using the better lounges at SFO or elsewhere.
After 8 years of membership I quit today. They offered 10k miles with a 2k spend but it was not worth it to me.
bruceba is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:24 pm
  #1056  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CLE
Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Posts: 981
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH View Post
In CLE UC now and the beer is Great Lakes Dortmunder for $3 but the glasses are a BIT larger than the old small ones. I would guesstimate 10 ounces or so. Could be wrong.
All of my flights for the next month are AM out of CLE, so it's not exactly beer time... I would be curious to see cell phone pictures posted of the $3 UC Dortmunders side-by-side with the $5 full pints right next door to the club at the Great Lakes Brewery restaurant.
Darlox is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:41 pm
  #1057  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 690
I can't figure out why there are so many one time passes on ebay (and mostly from one or two sellers). They must be either fakes or some lounge agent isn't scanning the passes and is reselling them on ebay.
fragment54 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:44 pm
  #1058  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: UA Premier 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 136
For those of you that were fans of ABC's "Lost", would you pay $3 for one of these if made available at the UC?

west_end_NYC is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:49 pm
  #1059  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Programs: CX Gold/UA*G/HH Gold/Marriott Plt/SPG Gold/
Posts: 40
I noticed in the store you can by a 1.5 litre bottle (two regular liquor bottles) of McCormick vodka for.......$15. Haven't tried it, but sounds dangerous. As a foreign *Gold I am so glad I have a Canadian Priority pass so I can get into some of the AS and KLM lounges when I fly through the U.S.!!!!

Compare to this places like the self-serve bar at the SQ lounge in BKK where you could make some elegant cocktails for yourself with a martini shaker, bitters, etc.

What an embarrassment to the whole Star Alliance!

FYI, even the contract lounges in small town China airports have better food and drinks than the UA club. Would take a bottle of Tsing Tao from the fridge over Bud Light anyday!
canuck84 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 12:57 pm
  #1060  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 20,110
Originally Posted by west_end_NYC View Post
For those of you that were fans of ABC's "Lost", would you pay $3 for one of these if made available at the UC?
Ingesting a product is a bit different from buying a service
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 1:00 pm
  #1061  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PHL, EWR
Programs: UA silver; AA Gold;AGR;HH Gold;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold
Posts: 1,954
Originally Posted by fragment54 View Post
I can't figure out why there are so many one time passes on ebay (and mostly from one or two sellers). They must be either fakes or some lounge agent isn't scanning the passes and is reselling them on ebay.
I've bought a few, when the price is right. I can tell you none of the passes I've bought were fakes and none were reused. They were all still attached to the original paper backing that is used by Chase for shipping. I just think that most people who get the Chase card decide to sell the passes.
Maybe a Chase employee has access to them? But all the passes I bought have been from different sellers
rittenhousesq is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 1:16 pm
  #1062  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BOS, LAX
Programs: AA, DL, B6 Mosaic, HH Diamond
Posts: 795
Originally Posted by jfk747 View Post
In cleveland for star golds a phrase of the day is how you login.
I cannot figure out what this sentence means without punctuation.
grrizzli is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 1:19 pm
  #1063  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,792
Originally Posted by grrizzli View Post
I cannot figure out what this sentence means without punctuation.
You have to type in a chosen phrase for that day to login -- presumably by getting the phrase from the lounge dragon.
edcho is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 1:46 pm
  #1064  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CLE
Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Posts: 3,978
Originally Posted by Darlox View Post
All of my flights for the next month are AM out of CLE, so it's not exactly beer time... I would be curious to see cell phone pictures posted of the $3 UC Dortmunders side-by-side with the $5 full pints right next door to the club at the Great Lakes Brewery restaurant.
Versus the free Great Lakes seasonal bottle in the CLE Airspace Lounge
ctownflyer is online now  
Old Sep 18, 13, 1:51 pm
  #1065  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MDT
Programs: UA 1MM
Posts: 278
I hear they are going to fix the wi-fi issue by handing out 2400 baud modems. Phone jacks will be available for something around $1.00/min.....

You only think I'm kidding
wildbill412007 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: