Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by elitefreak
BECAUSE their strategy is bait-and-switch. "Our clubs offer complimentary beverages", but then when you see the swill they give out for free, they want you to reach for your wallet. By substituting a better beer, even cheaper than Bud Lite, they will cut into the people who are willing to pay for a better glass of suds.
Exactly right.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:49 am
PSP

Programs: UA GS 2MM, Starwood Plat
The comp wines (red and white) that I have tried in the last six months (LAX, IAH, BOS, CLE) have all been awful. Nothing seems to have changed much on that front. The UC is nothing more than a relatively quiet alternative to sitting in the gate area.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by PSP
The comp wines (red and white) that I have tried in the last six months (LAX, IAH, BOS, CLE) have all been awful. Nothing seems to have changed much on that front. The UC is nothing more than a relatively quiet alternative to sitting in the gate area.
Unfortunately. And here we are paying yearly for that privilege.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PSP
The UC is nothing more than a relatively quiet alternative to sitting in the gate area.
Many years ago I had a friend (now deceased) who would occasionally, on his day off, take a book or magazine to MSY and simply sit and watch people go by. When I asked him why he did this he told me, "You see the most interesting people in airports." As this was MSY, that was doubly true.

I highly doubt the subset occupying the UC would have interested him.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:02 am
PSP

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
+^ And I'm out next year unless they fix it
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PSP
I guess you haven't been to EWR lately.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:07 am
PSP

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Originally Posted by kale73
Many years ago I had a friend (now deceased) who would occasionally, on his day off, take a book or magazine to MSY and simply sit and watch people go by. When I asked him why he did this he told me, "You see the most interesting people in airports." As this was MSY, that was doubly true.

I highly doubt the subset occupying the UC would have interested him.
Agree. One of the best seats in ANY airport is the shoeshine stand!
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PSP
I absolutely ADORE the UC staff at CLE. They are the best all around outfit at any UC, in my completely biased opinion.

That said, there is a Great Lakes Brewing kitty-corner from the UC in CLE that has better beer at better prices, a wider selection and great food. In addition, Vino Volo is opening up in B. More places than ever are good alternatives to sitting at the gate.

My membership is up in April but have no idea why I would renew it now.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by hindle
^
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:21 am
PSP

Originally Posted by hindle
You would be correct. Haven't had the "privilege" in a while
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:25 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
I absolutely ADORE the UC staff at CLE. They are the best all around outfit at any UC, in my completely biased opinion.

That said, there is a Great Lakes Brewing kitty-corner from the UC in CLE that has better beer at better prices, a wider selection
Excellent craft beer for $5 a PINT and the UC sells crap for $3 for 6 oz pull.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Despite the changes GG Gatepass for UC access is still valid at least at LAX (waiting for colleague at LAX whose flight was delayed). This "free" food and drink tastes a lot better after flying in on AA
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by PSP
Same with SFO yesterday
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
After brooding over the changes over the past week, this paying club (with a small "C") member has decided not to renew when membership comes up in February. If they gave paying club members 50 drink vouchers (for me, that's about one drink per visit), I'd consider staying. If UA is only providing urine gratis, I'm happy to take my Verizon-celled iPad to a bar table and sip a quality beer/wine during my connections. I get pretty good results from agents I reach on the 1K, so I'll do w/o the club agents on the few occasions I need them.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If they gave paying club members 50 drink vouchers (for me, that's about one drink per visit), I'd consider staying.
Maybe it's an American cultural thing (perhaps all wrapped up in the puritanism around alcohol), but the whole notion of 'drink chits' just feels petty to me - Like something you'd hear about at the Dunder Mifflin 'Holiday Party.'

Sir, I have this 'chit' - May I please have a drink?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.