Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 14, 1:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: J.Edward
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 16, 13, 5:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Globalist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I'd bet money that those passholders consume more alcohol per visit (substantially) than the 1K's.
So now we have a "new" characteristic for 1K's!
Old Sep 16, 13, 6:27 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Letter Sent To Vino Volo "Possible Marketing Opportunity"

Today, aacharya and I sent the following letter to Vino Volo:

Dear Sir or Madame:

As frequent flyers we have visited many of your locations, including Cleveland, Houston, Denver, Newark, San Francisco, and others. However, we, as United Club members, also visit the United Club at these and other locations due to the complimentary wine/beverages.

On September 9th 2013, United Airlines significantly downgraded the complimentary wine and other beverage selections at its airport clubs. Nearly all items that were previously free to club members are now priced at or above “airport” retail. Higher quality wines (and liquor) that were previously priced just above cost are now significantly more expensive.

You may want to consider this a marketing opportunity as many United Club members are furious over this reduction in benefits. Members pay an annual membership fee (~$400) and now must pay above market prices for wine at the United Club (where no food is allowed). However, you offer a better selection of wines, at a lower price, AND have the option of ordering food.

Perhaps you could promote a “Get $x off your first glass of wine when showing your United Club membership card”, or provide United Club members a short promotion as Reserve members? I am sure many of us would spend more than $300 at your establishments now.

Attached is the wine selection and price list that other frequent flyers have compiled.

Thank you for providing a consistent and high quality product.
Best wishes for continued success.

Billiken and aacharya
Old Sep 16, 13, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Akulashark View Post
Emailed Smi/J about this issue. I had an executive assistant type call me back. She said he has noted our disappointment and will discuss it with the executive staff.

She told me they are investing $50M in updating the clubs. I cut her off and said that they won't be getting it back very soon by charging for cheap beer and all of us leave.
Did she say when they were going to discuss it? Did she say anything else interesting?
Old Sep 16, 13, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2.9MM, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador (Lifetime Titanium) Elite
Originally Posted by jfk747 View Post
Well with lax ifl soon to close one fewer lounge.Would be curious on the new login procedure for web access for star gold.
when was this announced? and why??
Old Sep 16, 13, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by st530 View Post
They are combining all three lounges in LAX (sbm12's blog post):

http://boardingarea.com/thewandering...on-the-dollar/

Also -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ited-club.html

However, like sbm12 speculates, there MAY be a section for an IFL (although it hasn't been announced yet).
Old Sep 16, 13, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by st530 View Post
They are going to consolidate the T6 and T7 lounges into one new lounge above the current T7 concourse eventually. It is going to be 3x the size of the current lounge so probably a win in terms of space but a loss in terms of available services in T6.
Old Sep 16, 13, 9:05 pm

Programs: 1K; Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by andyh64000 View Post
United gave me a full refund after I threatened to dispute it.
Good to know. After looking into this further (and particularly for the folks that purchased lifetime club memberships) when it was free drinks - I would seriously consider seeking a refund.

My membership expires in December. I don't intend on renewing it but might reconsider if they institute some sort of chit policy or had something else of value to offer beyond wi-fi.
Old Sep 16, 13, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL SIlver
I'm sorry to hear ya'll got the same screwing that we did at DL. It's a shame.
Old Sep 16, 13, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In reference to the Wikipost: is beer not available at all in the DEN clubs?
Old Sep 16, 13, 11:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
In reference to the Wikipost: is beer not available at all in the DEN clubs?
It is available. It was just left off the "Regional" beers list. Judging by what they had pre-changes, it'll likely be Blue Moon and Heineken for the premium, Bud Light for free, and possibly Coors Light for free (I think another poster mentioned this).
Old Sep 16, 13, 11:52 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
Nicely done! Appreciate the effort. ^
Thanks
Old Sep 17, 13, 12:13 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by coutura View Post
It is available. It was just left off the "Regional" beers list. Judging by what they had pre-changes, it'll likely be Blue Moon and Heineken for the premium, Bud Light for free, and possibly Coors Light for free (I think another poster mentioned this).
The fact that they refer to Heineken and Blue Moon as premium in such a beer rich region makes me cry inside. Where is New Belgium? Maybe Odells? How about Oskar Blues? It would hurt me personally to spend money on those beers as premium.

I have a TATL biz flight out of there tomorrow, so I'll have to stop by to see the carnage first hand. This will absolutely remove my incentive for me to go to the DEN UC. I guess as a *G 1K without a membership who normally flies paid C, I guess they got what they wanted... argh where is my AA match?
Old Sep 17, 13, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Yeah, as that price list shows, the price difference between bad keg beer and good keg beer is tiny -- even negative in this case. Hard to understand why UA would want to offer an inferior product in what's supposed to be an upscale lounge if it's not going to save them money.

I also can't understand why they'd offer BOTTLED beer complimentary and charge for draft beer. I'd have to believe that a bottle of MGD costs significantly more than a St. Arnold's draft to pour. It just doesn't make any sense: UA is just looking cheap and spending more money.
BECAUSE their strategy is bait-and-switch. "Our clubs offer complimentary beverages", but then when you see the swill they give out for free, they want you to reach for your wallet. By substituting a better beer, even cheaper than Bud Lite, they will cut into the people who are willing to pay for a better glass of suds.
Old Sep 17, 13, 10:23 am

Wow.. So they give away Woodford on the plane in F, but charge $11 dollars for it at the club. Their free selection is complete garbage. Looks like they have some kind of "back room deal" with McCormick's. Yuck.
Old Sep 17, 13, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DelrayChris View Post
Wow.. So they give away Woodford on the plane in F, but charge $11 dollars for it at the club. Their free selection is complete garbage. Looks like they have some kind of "back room deal" with McCormick's. Yuck.
Hey now, UA isn't that classy in F...Woodford is a (great) DL thing

Search this Thread