Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by astroflyer
How would you all feel about drink tickets? As odd as it is, I find myself pining for the old days of 2 drink tickets/person. I do remember some really annoying rules being enforced at various times, namely whether you got tickets at the origin or the transoceanic gateway, etc. What about giving everyone 2 free drink tickets for any of the formerly "complimentary drinks." Then everyone will get some reasonable amount for free and maybe anyone who wants more than that should be willing to shell out a bit of cash.
I for one would have no problem going back to drink chits (2 per city per day). I have flights DCA-ORD-SMF for example, I would expect chits in both DCA and ORD, but not at multiple ORD clubs. I'm very rarely in the lounge long enough to have 2 drinks unless I push it. I think it's times like when (I see now at LAX) a family of 8 people are somehow in the club, all drinking comp wine, quickly and being loud that I hate the free policy.

The only condition would be that it's GOOD stuff, like Glenlivet 15 or Woodford.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by nevansm
I for one would have no problem going back to drink chits (2 per city per day). I have flights DCA-ORD-SMF for example, I would expect chits in both DCA and ORD, but not at multiple ORD clubs. I'm very rarely in the lounge long enough to have 2 drinks unless I push it. I think it's times like when (I see now at LAX) a family of 8 people are somehow in the club, all drinking comp wine, quickly and being loud that I hate the free policy.

The only condition would be that it's GOOD stuff, like Glenlivet 15 or Woodford.
I agree about drink chits, but only if they gave them out to all members regardless of destination....If i remember only chits were given for Int'l flight visits. whereas the the PMCO way gave us decent drinks for all...better IMO.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:41 am

Programs: CM PP DL GM
Over Priced

I was at Wine World in orlando to see the bottle prices of the premium most wines in the list cost per bottle about the same as per glass so I Guess not only are the making money but over charging the customers is shame united
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:20 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
At ORD today. Bar opens at 7 so I can't really perform any shenanigans.

WiFi is wide open still, no logging in.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm in SNA and WiFi is still open. Just having coffee, but will check the beers on tap at IAH later today.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777
I was at Wine World in orlando to see the bottle prices of the premium most wines in the list cost per bottle about the same as per glass so I Guess not only are the making money but over charging the customers is shame united
Already addressed and discussed.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by iahphx
On a positive note, in the PHL club today, they still had free (and cold) Yuengling on tap. For those not familiar with it, Yuengling is a very good, moderately priced regional beer. Exactly what they should be serving for free in the club. Here's hoping it's not replaced by Bud Light. The PHL club is depressing enough as it is.
Perfect. Tell you what United - offer Yuengling in your domestic clubs, and you'll be a hero. Yuengling is my 'house beer' - affordable and delicious. Good stuff.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Perfect. Tell you what United - offer Yuengling in your domestic clubs, and you'll be a hero. Yuengling is my 'house beer' - affordable and delicious. Good stuff.
^^ Yuengling is indeed a decent beer in draft. That alone makes it unlikely you'll see it for free.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by halls120
^^ Yuengling is indeed a decent beer in draft. That alone makes it unlikely you'll see it for free.
Before these changes did PHL have more than just Yuengling tap? I think it is free right now because it does not appear that they offer an alternative. Though I'm sure that will change and they will bring in Bud light.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by astroflyer
How would you all feel about drink tickets? As odd as it is, I find myself pining for the old days of 2 drink tickets/person. I do remember some really annoying rules being enforced at various times, namely whether you got tickets at the origin or the transoceanic gateway, etc. What about giving everyone 2 free drink tickets for any of the formerly "complimentary drinks." Then everyone will get some reasonable amount for free and maybe anyone who wants more than that should be willing to shell out a bit of cash.
I'm all for it. I wrote in suggesting this solution.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Halo117
I agree about drink chits, but only if they gave them out to all members regardless of destination....If i remember only chits were given for Int'l flight visits. whereas the the PMCO way gave us decent drinks for all...better IMO.
They'll never do this.

Think about it. Someone in Chicago is putting together an excel spreadsheet as we speak and running the numbers on this. Minimum cocktail is $9. 2 drink chits would = $18. So their logic is that for each person, you're "losing" $18 in potential revenue.

Could you imagine someone taking that proposal to Jeffie? "Hey Jeffie, how about we give away $18 in revenue per person per visit?" He would choke on his 1/2 cashew at that suggestion.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
...but first you had to figure out how to pen the Rondele without breaking off that little tab of foil.
Ah, the memories.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...onspiracy.html
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by geo979
I'll be at IAH terminal B united club later this afternoon. I'll order a couple of Varnish & Tonics and report back on the taste. I'll probably just take a sip and leave them on the table.
How about Turpen-tonic?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:45 am
Suspended

does anyone frequent DLs or AAs clubs and what is there set up? I think AA charges for everything if I remember correctly, its been awhile since last in an AC. DL havent been in their clubs in yrs.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by craz
does anyone frequent DLs or AAs clubs and what is there set up? I think AA charges for everything if I remember correctly, its been awhile since last in an AC. DL havent been in their clubs in yrs.
Well (standard) drinks including wine, beer, liquor are free and decent quality at AA clubs. They have limited free snacks. They sell very good quality food (meals) at reasonable prices. Internet is free and fast. In general, the AA clubs are much nicer and in better condition and less crowded than the UA clubs.

I have not been in a Delta club in about 4 years so I cannot give a recent comparison, other than I remember really good snacks.

I regret my purchase of a lifetime UA club membership. If I thought I had any legal standing, I would pursue a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.