Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I really, really, really, really, really don't understand why a daily rotating password isn't sufficient. Why in hell would one want to complicate matters with sign-ins and scratch-off? What a-hole "solution" providers convince companies to do this stupid crap?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
...., would these changes be grounds to cancel and force a refund even though it's supposedly non-refundable. ...
what changes, other than wifi authentication, we know nothig about the changes --- just a lot of speculation.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I really, really, really, really, really don't understand why a daily rotating password isn't sufficient. Why in hell would one want to complicate matters with sign-ins and scratch-off? What a-hole "solution" providers convince companies to do this stupid crap?
are you aware of the actual non-member solution?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
So do I have to drink twice as much to get my money's worth out of my membership now?

Seriously...I had a good run with my company picking up the tab for my Club membership for many years. They stopped that this year. So I got the credit card and am riding free for one more year....my LAST year. It's nice to have Club access. But I can't seriously pay $400 out of my own pocket and drink swill. Life's too short to drink crap.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I can think of the following non-UC members will need to ask for acesss:

1. Paid International F and C passengers with no *A Gold status
2. M+ award and *A award F and C passengers with no *A Gold Status
3. Star Golds with no UC memberships when traveling internationally.
4. Guests of Star Golds with no UC memberships traveling internationally.
5. Dependents and guests of UC members
6. Multiple-device users (both UC members and non-UC members)
7. Amtrak Select Plus/Executive members and their +1 or family (which doesn't even require same-day travel of any kind)
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I sometimes have 3 devices connected (laptop, ipad, phone) when I'm in the club for an extended period of time so I certainly hope the people at UA that are implementing this have considered that multiple devices per person is pretty routine nowadays.
I too always have multiple devices connected. I have to say I will miss my devices auto connecting to the UC wifi.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by fragment54
As if Jim Beam was not already bad enough, United must hate me.
Are you ready for some Early Times?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by QBK
Just in the interest of trying not to be cynical... if this means the introduction of "premium" beers, i.e. good craft brews, then it's not entirely bad. Except that I have to assume that Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, Honker, etc. will be removed from the complimentary menu.
I like(d) having the selection of a complimentary local brew. It gave me a sense of connection with the city I was flying from/to/through. Keep in mind the choice of a local beer was an improvement added after the introduction of free drinks a couple of years ago. For awhile there was nothing but Bud and/or Miller Lite.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Acornragazzo
I too always have multiple devices connected. I have to say I will miss my devices auto connecting to the UC wifi.
Me too. I've really liked having all my devices connect automatically.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Acornragazzo
Forgot about that. Being able to check your email on your phone with no interruption is nice.

Now, my phone will auto-connect to the network, then choke, then I have to open the browser in the phone, and then login.

The word 'process' in a press release is not an enhancement to our membership.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by cranky1K
I like(d) having the selection of a complimentary local brew. It gave me a sense of connection with the city I was flying from/to/through. Keep in mind the choice of a local beer was an improvement added after the introduction of free drinks a couple of years ago. For awhile there was nothing but Bud and/or Miller Lite.
As long as these local brews and decent ales stay along with "drinkable" house wines I'll be ok with things. I'm not much of a hard liquor drinker anyway having lived in Oregon and California for so long before HNL, lands of fine wine and beer, but would really get ticked off if they eliminate the local brews. I absolute refuse to drink cheap beers like Bud or Miller which personally I don't even consider to be beer.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Good news on the wifi - finally - although I wish it would have been a simpler system that would be able to remember connection details from each device vs logging in each time, but at least we can kiss the moochers good-bye!
+1
Old Aug 30, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I don't recall anyone confirming that they were going back to the scratch-off method.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 4:26 pm

I've used the wifi at both EWR C clubs, PHL, all of the ORD clubs, all of the LAX clubs, all of the SFO clubs, PDX, most of the IAH clubs, most of the DEN clubs and I've never had an issue with basic internet usage. I find this authentication process to be a annoyance.

As for the drinks, it was rumored and it is no surprise.

Once again a vague announcement. At least they could have provided the specifics. Not that I expect much more from this airline anymore.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Good news on the wifi - finally - although I wish it would have been a simpler system that would be able to remember connection details from each device vs logging in each time, but at least we can kiss the moochers good-bye!

Why is the F+B news always about booze? Many of us could care less about alcohol and I can't figure out why the focus is always on drinks - why not upgrade the FOOD offerings. We're in pretty bad shape when even the USAirways Club offers hot soup and UA offers....yogurt raisins?
Which moochers? The couple people who sit outside the club doors? I don't think they're to blame when the internet lags and I'd rather have that than have to login, unless (as you suggest) devices are recognized, even for non-club members like me and my SK*G.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
OMG..Stop Whining..The changes are not bad..No poachers for the Wifi will mean faster Wifi for the club members paying to use it..The liquor pretty much all tastes the same..I wont notice any difference in my vodka/cran or rum/coke..if your a drink snob,you can pay for a more expensive call brand..Change is good..Better Wifi and same buzz..Enjoy things and quit complaining..The Club membership is a bargain for all the free drinks and Wifi that many of us use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.