Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE
United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept. - Oct. 2013

Just for kicks, I included [email protected] in my round of emails expressing my disappointment in this decision. I will be calling someone, anyone on Monday, after I get to experience this first hand in SFO and IAH.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It seems that UA is trying to get more microbrews into the clubs. I'm not usually a beer drinker, but that does seem to be a good thing. However, with regard to the sizes of the beer glasses, perhaps someone at UA got confused by the term microbrew -- and thought it applied nly to the glasses and not to the beer. Just a thought...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JAaronT
A source inside United HQ says its a giant kerfluffle amongst the corporate staff.
It should be. It takes a special kind of moron who thinks he or she can cover up such a dramatic downgrade of service with the BS press release about adding a few beers they will overcharge for...
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
It seems that UA is trying to get more microbrews into the clubs. I'm not usually a beer drinker, but that does seem to be a good thing. However, with regard to the sizes of the beer glasses, perhaps someone at UA got confused by the term microbrew -- and thought it applied nly to the glasses and not to the beer. Just a thought...
and I think when it came to pricing, they confused "micro" with "macro"
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:13 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by EAA795

We are working to create the best and largest club network of any U.S. carrier. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board a future United Airlines flight

Kind Regards,

Global Services Customer Care
[/INDENT]
Ugh, prime example of so many things that is wrong with UA. Quantity over quality. I don't give a rat's arse if you have the largest network, the most flights, the biggest UC network, member of the largest alliance, etc. Just get my plane to my destination on time, take care of me like an individual not a number, and give me quality service that reminds me from time to time why I am with United.

Dog food in F, sub-par service on UX F, nickel and diming in the UC for an edible drink, and making it difficult to accommodate me in IRROPS are a few examples of how to push me away
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by andyh64000
It should be. It takes a special kind of moron who thinks he or she can cover up such a dramatic downgrade of service with the BS press release about adding a few beers they will overcharge for...
The new United.

I'm in the beer drinker camp and I would just love United to maybe make one of those regional microbrews into a complimentary free offering. Just one. It would add some character to the otherwise lifeless selection within most of the clubs (and bring back Longboard to HNL!). Even if this isn't impossible, just give me a complimentary beer with actual flavour. I'll miss my Sam Adams drafts.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Most states have liquor laws that preclude self-service, unfortunately.
How come this doesn't seem to stop F lounges from offering self-service?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:59 am

A source inside United HQ says its a giant kerfluffle amongst the corporate staff.
Very interesting. Are you at liberty to say more?

This is potentially encouraging. If some UA brass oppose the changes, there's a chance they could be rolled back.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by fieldeng

Bigger question: does this impact UC's in other countries or just the domestic UC's?
In HKG a day or two before officially pulling the rug out from under us the booze selections were Early Times whiskey (bourbon?), Gordons Gin, Finlandia Vodka, Pepe Lopez tequila.

When you compare that with SQ/TG offerings it's pathetic.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:22 am

I can imagine. It is a mess of politics in there right now.

And there are some folks who 'get' what the reaction would be, which explains why they salvaged a couple genuinely premium wines.

But my guess is this new supplier offered them a lot of savings that were difficult to walk away from, but limited some other options in the process.

Am also guessing the reason the Insider team didn't post here is they realized it would be an insult to our intelligence as all they could do is follow what the press release says.

What is interesting though is that the Clubs are under the domain of 'Customer Experience' which is our conduit in there so who knows what is going on there...

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Sep 12, 2013 at 5:29 am
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Can I use my beverage coupons for a drink in the lounge I paid for?

email at united is [email protected] Jeff Smisek, just sayin.

How much does promoting a tweet cost? I am willing to take paypal.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis Pres
Just e-mailed comment to hub.united.com --->

Odd how there is no mention of your most current United Club "enhancement" here on the Hub. This is obviously a "change we will like," so it's puzzling that you are not "showing it off" by highlighting your new liquor selection at the Clubs. A promotional video would be great!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Most states have liquor laws that preclude self-service, unfortunately.
Yep.. Just pointing out the fallacy of the "free booze"=more drunks at the bar.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by salesna
Very interesting. Are you at liberty to say more?

This is potentially encouraging. If some UA brass oppose the changes, there's a chance they could be rolled back.
And if, by some miracle, it is, it will be with a "we listen and care about you" type of announcement.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dogloverjb
And if, by some miracle, it is, it will be with a "we listen and care about you" type of announcement.
Right...best case at this point, they *maybe* add back in Heineken and one or two of the "middle shelf" spirits to the complimentary menu. Standard UA - push to the extreme, take the negative reaction, then pull back slightly and say "we listened to our loyal customers!!!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.