Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by milepig
I've decided that this isn't about saving money on the drinks served. It is rather about chasing so many people to the better stuff that they'll have essentially killed off the "free drink" benefit without actually doing so. Very clever of them. The next improvement we'll hear about will be something like:

"due to rapidly decreasing call for the free alcohol options, we're removing this underutilized benefit."
From a pure business perspective this is about turning every aspect of the business into a money generator. Everything comes at a cost now, there is no concept of using the Club for customer satisfaction which in turn should result in someone buying more tickets with United because of the experience. They want the club itself to generate more money. The same thing happened with inflight meals, IFE, bags, awards, etc.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
Two nights ago at the large EWR club in the C Terminal I got a (small) glass of Heineken. Today's bartender informed me that as of yesterday everything but Bud Light costs.

I got us each a screwdriver instead (please don't tell me what their well vodka is) and we're working up to powerful thirst as we fly EWR-HKG in a couple of hours.

We dropped our club membership of many years back in December. Of course, we're not flying UA nearly as much and, no, we're not missing it.
From an article on finding the best cheap vodka...

"Some people like to really save money on vodka and go for the $10 or less liters like McCormick, Popov and Hawkeye. Unless you use a filtering system of your own like the VodkaStick or want an enormous hangover tomorrow, I recommend you stay away from those. The cost savings is not worth it."
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
McCormicks ... REALLY???!!! How about serving Nighttrain or Thunderbird (if they are still on the market)
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
For those that wanted to know what the free whiskey was, I posted it yesterday morning (albeit 15 pages in this thread ago). Its Seagram's 7.

The real question is, what is worse McCormick's Vodka/Gin or the House of Stuart Scotch. For me that is an easy answer b/c I'm a dark liquor drinker.

Last edited by trekwars2000; Sep 11, 2013 at 11:03 am
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Thanks. I'll reply to your post rather than ordering another round.

Originally Posted by andyh64000
From an article on finding the best cheap vodka...

"Some people like to really save money on vodka and go for the $10 or less liters like McCormick, Popov and Hawkeye. Unless you use a filtering system of your own like the VodkaStick or want an enormous hangover tomorrow, I recommend you stay away from those. The cost savings is not worth it."
Maybe UA can add travel-size Vodkasticks to their next mileage catalog.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by judithhmg
McCormicks ... REALLY???!!! How about serving Nighttrain or Thunderbird (if they are still on the market)
Well McCormick's Tequila is Hussongs.....Guess were going to party like spring breakers in Ensenada!

Maybe this is an opportunity to offer all of McCormick's super classy product's like Tarantula and Tequila Rose among others.

Although I have ties to people that live near and work for the distillery so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Keep emailing and let them know how you feel:

[email protected]

and

[email protected]
Done.

To Whom It May Concern,

I am really appalled at United's decision to downgrade the quality of complimentary liquors at the United Club. The products you have chosen are not fit for consumption by anyone who is able to afford (or justify) a United Club membership. Your are insulting us and clearly your objective is to make the complimentary offerings so foul that people have two choices; pay up (for insanely overpriced better products) or stop drinking. There is a third option; cancel the United Club membership. This is a seriously bad decision and I assure you that it is not being taken lightly by members.

And, on top of that, to issue a press release that implies United has enhanced the United Club experience; do you think your members are idiots?

You should be ashamed of yourselves.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Nastygram e-mail sent. I quoted their reponse form letter back to them (the one that histerically mentions "Our primary goal at the United Club is to offer you the highest quality of service", ) curious to see how they respond.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Done.

To Whom It May Concern,

I am really appalled at United's decision to downgrade the quality of complimentary liquors at the United Club. The products you have chosen are not fit for consumption by anyone who is able to afford (or justify) a United Club membership. Your are insulting us and clearly your objective is to make the complimentary offerings so foul that people have two choices; pay up (for insanely overpriced better products) or stop drinking. There is a third option; cancel the United Club membership. This is a seriously bad decision and I assure you that it is not being taken lightly by members.

And, on top of that, to issue a press release that implies United has enhanced the United Club experience; do you think your members are idiots?

You should be ashamed of yourselves.
I apologise. I copied this verbatim and just sent it off. It is too perfect to alter.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Silver
As a form of protest, order several free gin and tonics and then leave them untouched on the tables in the club. Maybe with so many wasted drinks they will reconsider their new swill policy.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:17 am

Since I am a Gin and Tonic drinker I searched for a review of McCormicks Gin

McCormick's Gin

ESTIMATED PRICE: $4 to $6
TASTES SORT OF LIKE: Domestic abuse
MAY CAUSE BEHAVIOR SUCH AS: Increased WWF/NASCAR viewership and spouse-beating
PROS: Science has as of yet been unable to uncover any benefits to this liquid.
CONS: Awful, awful gin. All McCormick's hard liquor is Christ-punchingly bad. Unless you live in a trailer home and spend your evenings in a rocking chair watching TNN, you have no excuse to be drinking this.
NOTES: I'm serious, man. Just......don't.
No more Beefeaters on the rocks with olives for me . . . FURIOUS
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:18 am

Sent:

Hello,

I am exceptionally disappointed with the recent changes to the alcohol offerings at the United Clubs. Calling this an "enhancement" is just disingenuous. I can't believe that the only complimentary beer now is Bud Light, with you now charging $3 for a 6oz glass of anything else on tap. That is at least as expensive as any airport bar, with a far worse selection. The changes to the spirits is even worse, with you charging more money in the club, that I pay for the privilege to enter, than what you charge on the plane, or what any airport bar charges.

I will be downgrading my United Club Card and I will look to get a new card from Citi or American Express that provides lounge access, because your product is just not worth the money any longer.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by fjfv19
I apologise. I copied this verbatim and just sent it off. It is too perfect to alter.
Thanks. I invite anyone who wants to cut and paste away.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by geo979
As a form of protest, order several free gin and tonics and then leave them untouched on the tables in the club. Maybe with so many wasted drinks they will reconsider their new swill policy.
I like the idea.

Does anyone know how to start a Twitter or other social medial campaign to get this viral? #unitedclubdowngrade, perhaps?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:31 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by elitefreak
I like the idea.

Does anyone know how to start a Twitter or other social medial campaign to get this viral? #unitedclubdowngrade, perhaps?
Someone should post a comment about it on their Facebook wall, it will get a lot of comments, maybe from there it will bring some traction to get UA to respond more appropriately than the canned "we value your feedback" form response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.