Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 14, 1:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: J.Edward
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 11, 13, 10:37 am

Complimentary Wine Selection

I gave a United Lounge Pass to a friend who used it on 9/10/13 at the United Lounge in SEA. The Complimentary wines were : Sycamore Lane - Chard and Sycamore Lane - Cab

Looks like the beer costs $3 if its not Bud Light

Old Sep 11, 13, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis Pres
are free drink vouchers usable in UCs?
Old Sep 11, 13, 10:53 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
This might be ok if UAL offered something decent onboard.

With DL you get crap in the clubs for free, but once on-board the booze is good. With UA its even lower crap in the clubs (there is a report that the clubs have "McGreggor's" Scotch for free. ) and crap on-board.

I was considering cancelling my UAL club card, time to pull the plug since my renewal is up this month.
Old Sep 11, 13, 11:06 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Since I am a Gin and Tonic drinker I searched for a review of McCormicks Gin

McCormick's Gin

ESTIMATED PRICE: $4 to $6
TASTES SORT OF LIKE: Domestic abuse
MAY CAUSE BEHAVIOR SUCH AS: Increased WWF/NASCAR viewership and spouse-beating
PROS: Science has as of yet been unable to uncover any benefits to this liquid.
CONS: Awful, awful gin. All McCormick's hard liquor is Christ-punchingly bad. Unless you live in a trailer home and spend your evenings in a rocking chair watching TNN, you have no excuse to be drinking this.
NOTES: I'm serious, man. Just......don't.
Old Sep 11, 13, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by alaskantraveler View Post
I gave a United Lounge Pass to a friend who used it on 9/10/13 at the United Lounge in SEA. The Complimentary wines were : Sycamore Lane - Chard and Sycamore Lane - Cab

Looks like the beer costs $3 if its not Bud Light

Unless I missed it, can you advise if the $3 is for the same, tiny glass of brew that they had been serving? For $3, they better be serving up a real-sized glass instead of the thimble...but I have a sinking feeling this is not the case.
Old Sep 11, 13, 11:11 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by andyh64000 View Post
Since I am a Gin and Tonic drinker I searched for a review of McCormicks Gin

McCormick's Gin

ESTIMATED PRICE: $4 to $6
TASTES SORT OF LIKE: Domestic abuse
MAY CAUSE BEHAVIOR SUCH AS: Increased WWF/NASCAR viewership and spouse-beating
PROS: Science has as of yet been unable to uncover any benefits to this liquid.
CONS: Awful, awful gin. All McCormick's hard liquor is Christ-punchingly bad. Unless you live in a trailer home and spend your evenings in a rocking chair watching TNN, you have no excuse to be drinking this.
NOTES: I'm serious, man. Just......don't.
Yikes... is it confirmed that McCormick's is the new comp gin?
Old Sep 11, 13, 11:16 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Unless I missed it, can you advise if the $3 is for the same, tiny glass of brew that they had been serving? For $3, they better be serving up a real-sized glass instead of the thimble...but I have a sinking feeling this is not the case.
Nah, it is $3, if they were serving a proper 12-16 oz glass, the beer prices would probably be around $6-8.

In the ORD UC yesterday, the tiny glass is what I saw. For the bottles, they will give you the full bottle along with a fresh glass [same tiny one].

The bar at the C16 club was bursting at its steams yesterday, but the mood of the patrons and the bartenders was a bit more somber compared to the usual UC bar atmosphere I am accustomed to.
Old Sep 11, 13, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by dmbfan222 View Post
Yikes... is it confirmed that McCormick's is the new comp gin?
According to the HNL bartender a few nights ago it's McCormick's across the board: Paint thinner, varnish, lacquer and dessert topping.
Old Sep 11, 13, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
With DL you get crap in the clubs for free, but once on-board the booze is good.
Jack is still free at the SkyClubs, right? I know that's too mid-range (won't even call it premium) for UA to offer for free...
Old Sep 11, 13, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
According to the HNL bartender a few nights ago it's McCormick's across the board: Paint thinner, varnish, lacquer and dessert topping.
I've decided that this isn't about saving money on the drinks served. It is rather about chasing so many people to the better stuff that they'll have essentially killed off the "free drink" benefit without actually doing so. Very clever of them. The next improvement we'll hear about will be something like:

"due to rapidly decreasing call for the free alcohol options, we're removing this underutilized benefit."
Old Sep 11, 13, 11:39 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Two nights ago at the large EWR club in the C Terminal I got a (small) glass of Heineken. Today's bartender informed me that as of yesterday everything but Bud Light costs.

I got us each a screwdriver instead (please don't tell me what their well vodka is) and we're working up to powerful thirst as we fly EWR-HKG in a couple of hours.

We dropped our club membership of many years back in December. Of course, we're not flying UA nearly as much and, no, we're not missing it.
Old Sep 11, 13, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by milepig View Post
I've decided that this isn't about saving money on the drinks served. It is rather about chasing so many people to the better stuff that they'll have essentially killed off the "free drink" benefit without actually doing so. Very clever of them. The next improvement we'll hear about will be something like:

"due to rapidly decreasing call for the free alcohol options, we're removing this underutilized benefit."
Actually, I think there is a *G requirement that they provide free drinks. They used to give you drink chits with which you could get stuff that until yesterday was free. Now they still technically meet that free drink requirement even though nobody (other than those who like to puke on the plane) will take them up on the free drink.
Brilliant Strategy...Absolutely Brilliant!!! ^
Old Sep 11, 13, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by milepig View Post

From a pure business perspective this is about turning every aspect of the business into a money generator. Everything comes at a cost now, there is no concept of using the Club for customer satisfaction which in turn should result in someone buying more tickets with United because of the experience. They want the club itself to generate more money. The same thing happened with inflight meals, IFE, bags, awards, etc.
Old Sep 11, 13, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
Two nights ago at the large EWR club in the C Terminal I got a (small) glass of Heineken. Today's bartender informed me that as of yesterday everything but Bud Light costs.

I got us each a screwdriver instead (please don't tell me what their well vodka is) and we're working up to powerful thirst as we fly EWR-HKG in a couple of hours.

We dropped our club membership of many years back in December. Of course, we're not flying UA nearly as much and, no, we're not missing it.
From an article on finding the best cheap vodka...

"Some people like to really save money on vodka and go for the $10 or less liters like McCormick, Popov and Hawkeye. Unless you use a filtering system of your own like the VodkaStick or want an enormous hangover tomorrow, I recommend you stay away from those. The cost savings is not worth it."
Old Sep 11, 13, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
McCormicks ... REALLY???!!! How about serving Nighttrain or Thunderbird (if they are still on the market)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: